This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

Long Conversations

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

I just spotted a conversation on one of my entries which I hadn't noticed before. Polly Math asked me why the letters in the alphabet are in that particular order.

Unfortunately, she asked it in March 2003. That's 13 years ago. But looking at Polly Math's page, I see she was around on h2g2 recently. So I've answered the question and hopefully she'll see it when she pops back again.

The answer is 'we don't know', by the way. Our alphabet is based on the Northern Semitic 22-letter alphabet. We can explain every difference between the two alphabets, but we don't know why they chose the order they did for their alphabet.

Long Conversations

Post 2

Icy North

I try to answer all the questions people ask about my entries immediately...

...and then I never see hide nor hair of them again.

Maybe there's something in waiting.

Long Conversations

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I do it as soon as I can as well. In this case, that was 13 years later.

Long Conversations

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

As Fats Waller said, "One never knows, do one?"

Long Conversations

Post 5

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I've often regretted not seeing a response posted to my edited entries, since they don't appear in my conversation list.

Long Conversations

Post 6

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Subscribe to the entries. smiley - winkeye

Long Conversations

Post 7

smiley - doh

Long Conversations

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

I always subscribe to my edited entries but not always to the originals.

Long Conversations

Post 9

Baron Grim

I should probably double check. I try to make sure to subscribe to entries I've written, but I didn't learn to do that right away. I may have missed early ones. Not that I have so many entries I couldn't check now.

smiley - run

Long Conversations

Post 10

Baron Grim

Yep, sure enough I found an entry with two convos ignored. smiley - dohsmiley - sadface

Long Conversations

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

I have nearly 500 unedited entries. It would take a while to check them all.

Long Conversations

Post 12

KB

Interesting! I'll have to check mine, too. Like BG, it's not like I've hundreds to go through. smiley - blush

Around ten, I think. Most of the ones that appear on my PS are there because I subbed them.

Long Conversations

Post 13

Baron Grim

If they ever get Pliny fixed, or whatever comes after Pliny, it should be a default that anytime you create or contribute to an entry, you should be subscribed to it.

By the time that happens, if it happens ever, I expect this convo to be as dusty as the ones I just found.

Long Conversations

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

You're right KB. You have very few unedited entries, only 56.

Long Conversations

Post 15

We do a lot of subscribing at smiley - thepost. That way we can keep up with the convos that get started each issue. smiley - winkeye

Long Conversations

Post 16

That's because you're organized, Dmitri. smiley - smiley

Long Conversations

Post 17

Baron Grim

One of these days,
I'm going to get-
ORGANIZ-
smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - space I
smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - space Z
smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - space E
smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - space D
smiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - spacesmiley - space !

Long Conversations

Post 18

smiley - rofl

Long Conversations

Post 19

Baron Grim

Source for "Organizized".

http://manboobz.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/tumblr_nina5s3qgc1u8qzqoo1_1280.png

*ignore ridiculous URL, just an image link.

Long Conversations

Post 20

"We are people. Are You?"

Key: Complain about this post