This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

Windy Nights

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

It's very windy out there. One tree down on the road, and the wind has blown out 7 of the 15 panes on the green house. I've found six of them so I can put them back in tomorrow when it dies down. Have a spare in the attic.

Windy Nights

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

It's very windy here, as well. Last night it was t6wo degrees below zero Fahrenheit, and there was a 25-mile-an-hour wind, putting the wind chill well below zero smiley - brr.

What do you grow in your greenhouse, assuming that growing anything hasn't become futile with so many missing pans?

Windy Nights

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

We don't grow anything in it in the wintwr. In the summer we grow tomatoes, basil and other plants that need a bit of heat.

Windy Nights

Post 4

Two centuries ago, greenhouses were a key source for fresh vegetables in the winter. Nowadays veggies get shipped in from wherever the climate is right for them.

Windy Nights

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

The greenhouse is back together now. I used my last spare pane to replace one that went missing. We found the other seven panes. The wind has died down now. I hope it stays calm.

The tree that came down on the road into our estate took down a streetlamp as well, but other than that there doesn't seem to be any major damage.

Despite the wind and the cold, it's a lovely sunny day and some of the bulbs are sending up new shoots. It's starting to look positively spring-like.

Windy Nights

Post 6

We seem to be trending down as far as average temps are concerned. Arctic blasts will likely be hitting us off and on through late February here.

[Dreams of smiley - island]

smiley - sigh

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Gnomon - time to move on

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more