A Conversation for How to Teach your Child the Basics

The Basics

Post 1

Just an Engineer !

I have 3 boys ranging in age from almost 10 to 3 and a bit. As far as I can remember, we have had more problems in preventing them from attempting the basics when they aren't ready. My 3 year old is continually saying that he is "big big bigger" and can do it himself (it can easily range from bottom wiping to tuning a car).

So don't worry so much about it - they will figure it out soon enough. All you have to do is keep an eye on them to make sure they don't hurt themselves or advance the timing too far.

Enjoy them while you can. All hope is lost when they can answer you back.

The Basics

Post 2

Wand'rin star

No, it gets better all the time - honestly. Mine are now 28 and 24 and have taught themselves (and me) a helluva lot in the last 20 years. I agree with you - most things come naturally.smiley - smiley

The Basics

Post 3

Barney's Bucksaws

They're really good at teaching us, aren't they? Mine's 21 now, but he's been one of my advisors since he was ten. In this house if a pending decision affects everyone, everyone gets to add their two bits worth before the decision is made. I've come across things in my own courses that crossed paths with what my son does for a living, and I call him up for advice, opinions and help. He loves the chance to teach me.

Whatever they do, even getting themselves into messes, store up these memories - they sustain you later on when the kids are grown. What disgusts you today, makes you smile later in life.

The Basics

Post 4

Barney's Bucksaws

Just remembered something a friend told me whey my son was a baby. You spend the first year of their lives teaching them to walk and talk, and the rest of their lives telling them to sit down and shut up.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more