A Conversation for The Meanings of Usernames

Analysis, please

Post 361

iaoth

Pinky Parker-Tourettes:

Some free association. Pinky Parker reminds me of Peter Parker aka Spiderman. Parker-Tourettes implies "married to Tourettes". Married to Tourette's Syndrome? A common theme here is insult. Insult somehow reminds me of honesty.

So here goes. You're a person who is fairly honest to the point of almost insulting people, you speak whatever is on your mind and is kind of a clown. You sometimes find yourself climbing walls... Frustrated? This probably doesn't make much sense at all. smiley - smiley

Analysis, please

Post 362

Grimethorpe2k1

GRIMETHORPE2K1 ANYONE?

What impressions d'you get from my name?

Thanx,

Grimesmiley - smiley

Analysis, please

Post 363

Pinky Parker-Tourettes

The coliery band for the new millenium? smiley - smiley

Analysis, please

Post 364

Pinky Parker-Tourettes

ioath
the Parker is not with intentional reference to ol' spidey, but the rest is not too far from correct. Do I know you?

xx
P P-T

Analysis, please

Post 365

Grimethorpe2k1

Very sharp, Pinky smiley - oksmiley - ok

But what sort of person d'you think would choose such a name? I'm not bein' egotistical, I'd jus' like to know what impression it gives.

Thanx,

Grimesmiley - smiley

(Grimethorpe2k1)

Analysis, please

Post 366

Pinky Parker-Tourettes

You mean the pithy epithet wasn't good enough!

Now I'll have to witter on at length and that's not half so effective.
Well Grimey...

The impression that I get is of someone who has a certain amount of nostalgic feeling - not in the ertsatz, sentmental way, but a real sense of respect and love of things past - the 'new millenium' bit suggests that this is combined, nayy juxaposed, with a forward-looking attitude. I'm also picking up a certain amount of no-nonsence 'Northerness' (this is in no way an insult, please don't flame me) and a smattering working-class pride. #placed tounge firmly in cheek#

In summary, someone I could really get on with.
Howzat?

... and talking of pithiness

Post 367

Pinky Parker-Tourettes

... am I the only person on this site who gets anoyed by the sort of name that runs into a paragraph?
You know the sort "whojamaflip, king/queen of this, keeper of that, muse/guardian angel of the other and various additional or irrelevant things which make them sound important and grandious"
It's a bit like wearing your personallity on your sleeve, it announces so much in a single hit, that there seems very little left to discover.
This sort of thing should be left to RPGers' and the best of breed at Crufts'

Post 368

Grimethorpe2k1

I don't get annoyed by it but it does look daft. Luckily the people seem OK.

Thanx for the analysis smiley - ok.....Hmmm, I'll have to think of a pithy reply....smiley - biggrin

Grimesmiley - smileysmiley - ok

Post 369

Grimethorpe2k1

Still can't think of anything with sufficient pith. Ever thought of yourself as master or mistress of the pith?smiley - biggrin

Meanwhile, you could take a look at my Home Page an' see what u think...

Grimesmiley - smiley

Post 370

Grimethorpe2k1

Or, even, mathter or mithtress of pith?

NB. I'm NOT taking the pith. Jutht a little jetht.

Analysis, please

Post 371

Grimethorpe2k1

Thanx 4 the 2 analyses, Pinkysmiley - oksmiley - ok

The analysis of the name itself was very accurate. Not many people have heard of the Colliery Band, and some don't even realise that 2k1 is this yearsmiley - wowsmiley - ok

Hate talking about myself, but I definitely owe you. In a sense you can't lose, as I wanted an idea of the impression the name gave people - particularly anybody who actually understood it!

Compared to RL? (Don't talk 2 me about RL - awful, isn't it).

Similarities

1. Blunt, straight-speaking. I'm the one who asks the awkward question, and does so with the utmost directness.
2. Working class, in the sense that everyone who has to work for a living is working class. (Really believe this)
3. Nostalgia for a fairer society, when workers could stand up for themselves, before the interests of 'business' and 'businessmen' ruled our lives.
4. Absolutely the right word was 'Juxtaposed' with a fast, forward-looking personality, if u no wot i meen.

Differences.
1. Southerner.
2. Sense of humour. I thought Grimethorpe was a pretty silly name anyway, (gently poking fun at Northerners), and it's even an artificial one. The colliery was/is? halfway between Grimsby and Scunthorpe, so they put the names together to make up this ridicuous name.

Summary. Altogether really cool and much closer than chancesmiley - cool

Hope you could still get on with me. Did you look at my Home Page?

Thanx Pinkysmiley - ok

Grimesmiley - smileysmiley - cheerssmiley - cool

Analysis, please

Post 372

iaoth

I don't know if I know you, Pinky. Anyway, I was just analysing your username. Well, that, and I'm psychic.

I just realised that Pinky could be a reference to Pinky and the Brain, in which case you're even more of a clown than I thought. smiley - smiley In addition, you might be someone who doesn't take promises lightly (as in "pinky promise").

Analysis, please

Post 373

Pinky Parker-Tourettes

No connection at all to Pinky & the Brain, but was expecting someone to mention it. "Pinky Promises" wassat then?

Analysis, please

Post 374

The Artist formerly known as Hullabaloo

Can anyone have a go at Hullabaloo. It's not part of my name but in My Space (q.v.) I refer to myself as Poet and Tragedian.

smiley - rose

For Hullabaloo

Post 375

Ommigosh

"Hullabaloo" instantly makes me think of the big, singing, cuddly, carefree, happy and content bear from the Jungle Book ( I only saw Disney's cartoon - didn't read the book ).
Is that bear like you?

The whole word seems to mean a noisy fuss, hubbub, with an element of protest thrown into the mix.

Do you like causing a stir, standing up for your rights, enjoy a bit of verbal fisticuffs?

The rhythm of the word also suggest a liking for poetry or music but you rather give that away anyway by telling us that you are "The Poet".

Somehow I would guess that you are not British ( poss. North American? ) as it is not a word which I hear in the UK much.

The hulla bit sounds like "Hello" so maybe you are also a friendly type.

Howsat?

Om

For Hullabaloo

Post 376

The Artist formerly known as Hullabaloo

Hi Om,

smiley - ok thanx for sparing the time n effort to have a go at me name.

Let's see now.....

I hadn't thought of Hullabaloo from the Jungle Book - I've not seen the film but ~I've seen him singing in the clip of 'Wanna Be Like You'. I'd like to think I am quite like him, I love his insouciant walk, very like how I see myself walking thru lifesmiley - whistle but with all sorts of commotion left behind me. The song "WBLU" however, is far from my personality. I'm always striving to be myself rather than fitting in to somebody else's idea of how I 'should' be. smiley - grr

I'm non-conventional, take me or leave me. Hence the protest and the fuss that often seems to occur around me.

Example - I had a strong disagreement with the smiley - monster Modssmiley - monster in my first week - characteristically, it was I who said one of my postings should be removed. But the smiley - monsterModssmiley - monster refused ( I like changing things around). And I stand up for myself, my rights as you put it.

But verbal fisticuffs? Shurely not. I like the cut and thrust of robust debate - the metaphor is that of Olympic fencing, not of brawling! You realise that your assertion means pistols at dawn now, don't yousmiley - smiley

You're right on the money when you say poetry and music. I've been a professional musician (lead guitar, acoustic self-accompaniment etc etc), a songwriter an' a drummer, not simultaniously (har har).

[musicians' joke : the band consisted of five musicians and a drummer]

Poetry too on a professional level. I think this was very clever of you, hadn't thought about the musicality of the name before.smiley - ok

Amazingly, coincidentally (or psychically) I'm English but really Anglo-Canadian My dad was once a bandleader and composer in the Canadian forces. (He's Irish-Scotch-French Canadian). But the name is English, thought to be connected with medieval wolf-hunting the 'loo' being 'le loup'. To be shouted out on sight of the wolf. (OED).

I'm friendly, cuddly (as long as you don't mean fat - pistols again?) but sometimes very highly strung and moody.

I think your analysis of me and my name was fantastically accurate. Have a piece of cake smiley - cake and a cup of teasmiley - tea or something strongersmiley - bubbly for a job well done.

Hull smiley - cheers

Analysis, please

Post 377

compo

Couldn't agree with you more about your comment on the working man speaking up for him(orher)self.Too many managers in authority who got there through studying management techniques and not working their way through the ranks.By the way,I don't think Grimethorpe 2k1 is an overly egotistic moniker and I think they were (or are)a good band in their field.

Analysis, please

Post 378

Grimethorpe2k1

Thanks for, reminding me, Compo. I think the band was a great one, and that played a big part in my choosing the name.

The reason I use the past tense is that I haven't heard of them for a long time. So with the colliery and the jobs (presumably) has gone a great brass band. Guess none of it fitted into some manager's plan or 'business philosophy' or 'mission' (expletives deleted).

Grimesmiley - ok

For Hullabaloo

Post 379

Ommigosh

Thanks for your kind words Hull, this is quite a cool thread and fun to do. You should have a go! There are lots of names unanswered in the backlog of requests.

I will decline your challenge to a duel though. ( you wrote: "You realise that your assertion means pistols at dawn now, don't you" )

I have quite enough snipers to dodge in real life so I won't get involved with virtual duels too. Thanks for the offer though.

Analysis, please

Post 380

Wayfarer-- I only wish I were crackly

hallo... i've gotten an analysis once before, but've changed it since then, so, anyone want to take a shot at it?smiley - smiley(Lucinda, i know you said you don't like to do a name for the same person more than once, so of course i'm not asking you to.smiley - smiley)

h2g2 name, Wayfarer[Scout(see U149536)]-Sometimes Distributer of Randomness
and, MUDding name, JWaynest (and, let me point out that in the MUD i play on, punctuation and spaces aren't allowed, otherwise my name would be Jenny Waynest.)

Key: Complain about this post