This is the Message Centre for Milla, h2g2 Operations

Milla just posts something

Post 1

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Because it's been a while.

Not that I have much to say, though. I still spend too much time in my head. I still think there might be something odd about me, but not as odd as to diagnose. I still make people upset when something grabs my attention and I blurt out something and interrupt someone talking.

I'm back at work, but mostly waiting for things to happen so that I can do my stuff. It's boring.

I do little things for h2g2 behind the scenes, but mostly admire the people who actually slog on, with publishing etc, and with moderation, and fixing techy things. smiley - herosmiley - hero all of them.

My aunt was buried last week, same sort of cancer that killed my mum got her too. Church was full of people - she was a very social person, engaged in lots of circles of friends and organisations. And of course relatives, all her children with families, her siblings, and some nieces/nephews (my cousins). It's good to see family, even though it's a sad occasion.

I have worked on the garden shed, but it feels never ending. The other day, I scrubbed the last side to prepare for painting. The wood on that side is in good condition so I didn't have to replace it, like on the other sides. But man, that was a struggle. The end of the hedge comes close up, and a large, beautiful rose bush... So I was constantly stuck in thorns and poked by twigs. And that blasted nerve pinch in my neck kept me awake most of the night. Makes me extra grumpy when I don't sleep. I really like sleep. Did I tell you I'm sleepy?

So. What's up in your lives? What did you do for the Guide lately? What did you do for your home?

smiley - towel

Post 2

Beatrice

My garden is a bit of a disaster area. It's really hard to keep a neat grassy lawn with 2 dogs, and I think it's futile to hope for it. R thinks we should get artificial grass....

I have some colourful flowers growing in hanging baskets that lie flat against the fence on either side. This gives some colour at eye level, while keeping them away from slugs and dogs. Fewer weeds, too. But there is a growth of brambles and nettles behind the shed that I'm going to have to attack somehow.

Post 3

Milla, h2g2 Operations

I hardly have any flowers... there's a bit on the front, where hollyhocks and aquilegias grow pretty wild, but the lawn has been my workshop for 4 weeks and not been cut, plus has delightful splashes of paint!
The hanging baskets sound really nice, perhaps I should have a think about that for next summer. But I suppose you have to water them? I'd struggle with remembering that!
smiley - towel

Post 4

Beatrice

In Ireland? Plant watering is usually carried out by the rain gods!

Post 5

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Oh. That. Yes. They frequented us too, but more in the annoying "often but little" sense, so those with needy plants steel had to water.
smiley - towel

Post 6

You can call me TC

Hi Milla - nice to hear from you. We have had such hot weather recently that I haven't been able to do anything.

We now have 2 grandchildren and Son No 2 has finally finished university and got a place teacher training.

Our shed, the garage, and the bicycle shed could all do with a real turn-out, normally something for a summer weekend, but not in this heat!

We have window boxes, this year with red and yellow flowers. Since his retirement my husband looks after them, but I'm sure the flowers were bushier in past years when I did them. A couple of years ago we had a great display of pink and mauve petunias but it was a lot of work deadheading and feeding them. smiley - petunias

When all my husband's aunts and uncles died in quick succession, we had to go to a lot of funerals and found that we got on so well with the cousins that we have since had a yearly family get-together. It has never felt a chore to meet up with them.

Post 7

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

I thought about mowing my lawn. That was last Monday smiley - erm

But then the rain came, and after that I got busy with a lot of other stuff. Funny stuff mostly, thank Bob.

But I really need to mow the lawn now. Plus vacuum the whole house and do a lot more stuff like that. My youngest sister will visit me in a week from now smiley - run

smiley - pirate

Post 8

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Grandchildren? Plural? TC, you just turned 42, didn't you? How did all that happen?
And vacuuming, Pierce... don't talk to me about vacuuming. I do sometimes sweep up the worst dustbunnies, but again, working in the garden has kept me from working indoors. At least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

smiley - towel

Post 9

Woolly Mammoth

I've rather surprisingly gained a promotion. I'm now a Clinical Lecturer at Glasgow University. It's only one day a week being a Lecturer and four days a week being a regular doctor. But I'm basically being paid to do my hobby, which is great.

Post 10

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Paid hobbies are awesome. I wonder if I can get paid for browsing stupid internet sites.
smiley - towel

Post 11

Beatrice

I'm about to start training as a certified instructor/ teacher for Scottish Country dancing. It's a long and complicated process, but I'm hoping that as I near retirement age I'll be able to be paid to do something I love.

Post 12

re post 8:

I hate vacuuming. It's unnatural. Says right here in my science book: Nature abhors a vacuum

smiley - pirate

Post 13

Milla, h2g2 Operations

That's pretty cool, Beatrice! Perhaps you can even switch before retirement?

Pierce, I am in conflict. On one hand, vacuum is an abomination. But on the other hand, Nighthoover... smiley - zoom

smiley - towel

Post 14

I'm willing to compromise: Nighthooover is welcomed to vacuum my house

smiley - pirate

Post 15

My condolences on your aunt's passing, Milla. smiley - rose

I fear I haven't done anything for the Guide lately. Nothing much new at Chez Nerd either. Maybe I should mix things up a bit.

Post 16

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Just like TC I am suffering from the heat. We have about 40°C every day for about 3 weeks now. I also hardly manage to do anything.

I don't think anyone here managed to have a 'lawn' in this weather. Most of the grass is dry and there's lots of dust. The rivers are mostly dry, we had no rain at all.

My son wil have his 1st birthday next week and I'll have to go back to work. smiley - erm My old boss kind of forced me to leave, so it will even be a new job.

Post 17

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Thanks, HN. Hope you decide for something fun to do next!

Pre-congratulations to your son, Tav! And I have a feeling your new job might be nice!

I just came home from a customer site, where I've not been since February. I did email them a few weeks ago, to remind them to activate my accounts, make sure there's a functioning computer etc.

But of course they hadn't. So I spent 4 1/2 h testing passwords on a dead/deactivated computer, finally got an active one, logged in at 2 pm, but still my account is locked, since my assignment was deactivated, so no action. smiley - rolleyes

smiley - towel

Post 18

Beatrice

Sadly dance teaching pays only pin money!

Post 19

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Oh that's a pity!

Today has two complaints:
1) I went back to an old client, where I worked in February the last time. And a couple of weeks before today, I reminded them to activate my accounts, have a computer ready, reset passwords, make sure I have a pass card to get in etc. Guess how much was prepared?

Nada. Well, the pass card was active in a minute, because the security guy recognised me, and sent me in with a form to complete during the day. But hours spent on waiting, trying passwords, and eventually finding out that no, IT can't activate until my assignment is approved in this other system. Where the manager who needs to sign is on paternity leave. And after that it can take 24 hours. So I went home.

2: Son went out with friends, canoeing on a river not too far away. Only, now his phone is not possible to contact. Probably just ran out of batteries - as they do. But the parental brain is hard to convince, and freaks out, pretending the six youngsters now all have drowned. It would be nice to know when he planned to be back though.

smiley - towel

Post 20

minichessemouse - Ahoy there me barnacle!

Not been doing much either. R had his paediatrics assessment a few weeks ago, and despite being a little behind he is not worryingly so.

L had his 6m check today. 21lbs! Mind you he came out at 10lb 7.

Key: Complain about this post