A Conversation for Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables

Post 1

bumbee

I wrote entry A438509 on Anne of Green Gables, the series by LM Montgomery. I tried to tell a bit about the characters and the books without giving things away. I would appreciate suggestions. smiley - smiley Thanks!

Anne of Green Gables

Post 2

bumbee

that would be http://www.h2g2.com/A438509 ...thanks.

Anne of Green Gables

Post 3

Global Village Idiot

NB Writing as someone who's never read the books... smiley - winkeye

I like the run-through of the characters, that's nicely handled - a little insight without giving too much away. What I'd like is to know more about the stories: what audience are they aimed at (from what age); what is their great appeal; when were they written and in what period are they set?

From the little I know, I expected to see the word "Canada" somewhere... [I know it's implied by the reference to PEI, but could be more explicit]

I wasn't sure about the reference to "slone-ness": do you mean upper-class, posh arrogance? If so it's "Sloane" (after Sloane Square, London) - if not, please explain...

Perhaps you could read it through and think of how it sounds to a non-devotee. Are there perhaps a few places where you're making veiled references to things (s)he won't understand? Are those important to follow what you're saying? For instance, is it worth simply stating (so we're all sure) that Green Gables is a house?...

Still, it's a nicely-written article and obviously a favourite subject of yours - always a good point to start from. Good work.
smiley - smiley

Anne of Green Gables

Post 4

bumbee

thanks. I knew I was being kind of vague.. I didn't have any of the books in front of me or anything when I wrote the entry, so I was kind of winging it. But thanks for the imput. I will try to go back and fine-tune it. My friend read it too, and he gave me similiar ideas-- time peroid, etc. I didn't even notice that I didn't mention Canada! smiley - smiley Thanks!

Anne of Green Gables

Post 5

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

I have to admit that my own experience of Anne is limited to CBC television promos... but I have seen the house on PEIsmiley - winkeye

Perhaps you could include a reference in your introduction to the fact that the house has become a tourist mecca, especially to Japanese tourists, for some reason. The different titles of the series would look a little more impressive, I think, if you described each under its own heading, instead of the list, and perhaps included a bit more information about each.smiley - smiley

JTG

Oooh... ooh... I just had an idea. Would it be fun, do you think, to include a list of the different actresses who have played Anne? I imagine there are quite a few.smiley - smiley

Anne of Green Gables

Post 6

Metal Chicken

I well remember reading and enjoying these books as a child. Your descriptions are apt and give a nice flavour of the books. I think it would help those who don't know the books if you fleshed out your intro a bit more, along the lines suggested above. Re the audience level - I've always thought of them as children's books but as my 78 year old mother still loves rereading them there's clearly some element of adult attraction too.

Anne of Green Gables

Post 7

bumbee

I think that's the trickiest part about them... they're set at a 12year old reading level, and they don't deal with "mature" topics, with perhaps the expection of death. Being written in the ninteenth century for children, I'm assuming there wasn't much of a market for sex, even if there is plenty of romance. After I read them the first time (at around the suggested reading age), I kept rereading them, even now that I'm 22, and I think I learn to appreciate different things in them, even linking them to more modern books. Universal themes and all that.

Anne of Green Gables

Post 8

Global Village Idiot

Scout's note: bumbee is currently updating this article, so it's not ready for recommendation yet...
(bumbee - please just post again here when you're done)
smiley - smiley
GVI

Anne of Green Gables

Post 9

bumbee

sure thing. I"ve been slacking on it, with my new job and all eating up my time. smiley - smiley

Thread Moved

Post 10

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'Anne of Green Gables'.

From Peer Review Sin Bin to Flea Market.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more