A Conversation for Musicians Guild Membership Page

Join Here

Post 701

Nor

Hello! I'm a music student at Nottingham University, and I play piano (my last grade was grade 8, which I did nearly 3 years ago), and I also occasionally sing. My interest in music is largely academic, but I do enjoy playing and general messing about. I've always wanted to play harp and cello.

My favourite band is QUEEN. I absolutely love 'em. But I also like The Beatles, Aerosmith, and I've just discovered The Darkness, who I think are rockin'.

I don't really have one especially favourite composer, but I really like Mozart and Vaughan Williams, especially the Thomas Tallis Fantasia.

Um... All I want out of the Guild is to see what other Musos have to say about stuff! I'm a bit of a newbie here so I'm still finding my way around!

Join Here

Post 702

Sneaky

1. Bass guitar, Guitar, Trumpet, very little piano.

2. Vivaldi, Hendrix, Tool, Rock and Roll(all varieties)

3. Heated discussion as to why music is the very center of all existance, or maybe just a sympathetic ear.

smiley - cheerssmiley - aliensmile

Join Here

Post 703

h2g2 Musicians Guild

hello and welcome to nor and sneaky! the musicians' guild badge is at A 434648. feel free to explore thd guild pages smiley - smiley

Join Here

Post 704

rcurls

I'm an ex-opera singer (professional) and singing teacher. Unusually for a classical singer, I adore all kinds of music, although Beethoven has a big piece of my soul.

Opera, lieder, chanson, English song etc
Symphonic, concerti, tone poems etc etc

Easier to say what I don't like, won't teach or won't perform:

Hard rock
Boulez, Ligeti, Stockhausen etc

That's about it..... I'm kind of out the musical loop right now, so it would just be great to hook up with some others who are as passionate about music as I am.

Join Here

Post 705

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hello rcurls and welcome to the Guild smiley - smiley

You'll find the membership badge at A434648.

Have fun!

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Join Here

Post 706

Crazyace

Hi everyone in the musicians guild I'm Alan and I play the
violin in a small orchestra called "Wentworth Strings". I smiley - love the music of all fiddlers
from Aly Bain to Vivaldi, so please welcome me into the Musicians Guild, and let me know how to put the emblem in my space.smiley - musicalnote

Join Here

Post 707

Danny B

Hi Alan,
I'm having trouble re-activating the Guild after the new sign-on system was introduced, so I can't 'formally' welcome you at the moment, but you'll find the badge and instructions at A434648. As soon as I can get in, I'll add your name to the membership list.

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Join Here

Post 708

Crazyace

Thanks Danny I'll look forward
to seeing my name on the list, in the meantime am I OK to put the badge on my space?
Cheers smiley - ale Alan.

Join Here

Post 709

Danny B

Go ahead smiley - ok

If you have any problems with it, just let me know!

Join Here

Post 710

Cat-Eyes: No..... why.... ?

hey, can I join?

I played the piano for 4 years (and had 4 teachers, not happy jan!! [if you don't live in Melbourne you'll have no idea what that is, but anyways]) and did prelim and grade 1 exams. I now play the clarinet, am possibly going to do a grade 2 exam this year and skip the earlier ones, I've done a grade 1 theory exam, skipped the grade 2 exam cause it was at the wrong time of year, was sposed to do the grade 3 one but was on crutches and had a migraine, so I didn't and ma now working through grade 4... Blsmiley - bleepy cadences!!! Doesn anyone else think they follow you round? i mean seriously, did someone just sit down and think of as many ways and variations they could think of just to make it harder?

...But anyways, moving right along... I can play the guitar, sorta, we learnt a bit of it in class. I also played the alto saxophone for a semester and was pretty good but i didn't lke the teacher so I went back to the clarinet.

I don't have a fav composer, but I'm sick of Mozart for making the song I'm doing right now hard smiley - grr. I'm also in the school band and play part 2, which is quite cool cause i only joined the start of this year after only having a semester's experience on the clarinet and had had a semester off it playing the sax, and was on part 3, but am now on part 2 smiley - biggrin

And, i don't know what I want out of the society, I just wanna join cause I like music and it seems like a good idea...

Thanx!

Catsmiley - blackcat

Join Here

Post 711

h2g2 Musicians Guild

hello cat,

welcome to the musicians' guild! you can get the membership badge at A434648.

smiley - cheers
farlander.

ps: people who have basics in piano/keyboard instruments generally have less trouble with cadences than those who do; still, for the first year or so, cadences are a bit hard to master, so don't despair! it sort of helps if you get hold of pop records, sit through them, and try to pick out cadences - and then move on to classical pieces (if it's of any comfort to you, a friend of mine took his grade 6 clarinet practical exam last month ... and it was his first practical exam! which meant he had no idea what cadences were in the first place. we had to drill and drill and drill him. he wound up with 27/30 for his aural...)

Join Here

Post 712

Cat-Eyes: No..... why.... ?

I don't find cadences too hard, I just hate doing them. I agree with you on the keybaord/piano bit, I do Theory with another girl and she plays the flute and has a hell of a lot more trouble at them than I do. But I still hate them. There's too many variations and it takes ages to do one and then you've just gotta do another one and remember all the rules for that one. I especially hate the VI-V imperfect cadence which is what I'm doing now. There's too many 'Now, don't do this..." and "Definately don't do this..." in it!!!

Don't you have to have done grade 1 theroy for grade 3 practical and so on, so for grade 6 you'd have had to do grade 3 which is where cadences come in? Or is that just AMEB rules and everywhere else they just have to know some stuff from the theory grade but not have to have done an exam?

Cat

Join Here

Post 713

Farlander

i dunno. my friend took guild hall, so i don't really know what their requirements are. i *do* know that if you want to do grade 5-8 practical for abrsm or trinity, you need a grade 5 theory.

here's the interesting thing he told me. apparently, they don't have enough examiners for guild hall to send over here who know both clarinet and piano (the clarinet-qualified fellows can't play enough of the piano to examine students), so what they do is they send a *pianist* to test them. and so, because a pianist doesn't really know much about pitching and the finer aspects of wind/brass instrument playing, the students get to pass most of the time. odd, that.

Join Here

Post 714

random_squires

I play the bass guitar, all kinds of music from jazz to metal. I can also strum a few chords on acoustic. I can read the dots and I'm hoping to teach myself music theory up to 6/7.

Favourite composer is probably Bach, the use of counterpoint appeals to me. Contemporary bands I like are quite varied- Mudvayne to Chuck Berry, see my Guide entry (A2092088) for more information.

From the 'Guild I hope to learn how to compose something for several instruments in counterpoint.

I can do a bit of HTML and GuideML.

Join Here

Post 715

Pandora...Born Again Tart

smiley - divaJust a shout out to all you joiners! "HELLO!"smiley - musicalnote
Like birds of a feather we find ourselves here an' it don't matter if what you play's clear! smiley - kisssmiley - winkeye

Join Here

Post 716

Mr. Carrot

random_squires, hi! What are you interested in learning... I know some classical harmonizing, if that'll help? I'm sure quite a lot of the others can help you as well...

Join Here

Post 717

h2g2 Musicians Guild

Hello to random_squires smiley - smiley

Welcome to the Guild - you'll find the badge at A434648

Have fun!

smiley - cheers

Danny B.

Join Here

Post 718

pocket jeesus

Just the thing for me!

I play the Piano (for 8 yrs) The drums (for 4 yrs) and have sung all my life, but just recently joined a choir. I love so many bands that I could not possibly remember them all in one sitting. Oh well, here goes... I like...
Yes
Jethro Tull
Return to Forever
Lemon Jelly
The Beatles
The Vever Trio (that's my band)
Oingo Boingo
The Seatbelts
Kristy MacColl

Join Here

Post 719

pocket jeesus

The list goes on and on... I would love to join.
smiley - zen

Join Here

Post 720

h2g2 Musicians Guild

hello debloich, and welcome to the musicians' guild! you can collect your badge at A434648. enjoy your stay smiley - smiley

cheers,
farlander.

Key: Complain about this post