A Conversation for The Ancient Olympics

Flea Market: A434242 The Ancient Olympics

Post 1

Ozzywiz

www.h2g2.com/A434242
With Olympic fever in full swing, I thought a look at the past might be appropriate.

A434242 The Ancient Olympics

Post 2

Ozzywiz

http://www.h2g2.com/A434242
Just providing a clickable link.

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Short and sweet! Well done.

Post 4

Peter aka Krans

This seems like a good entry... but I do feel that maybe it could be improved by mentioning the location of the Olympics... i.e. Olympia... and the different stadia used, perhaps...

Other than that, it's great... I have to agree with Gnomon... short and sweet...

Post 5

Albion

Hi !
Nice article, but I have to say that it is a little bit too short for an event of this measure.

For example You should say that it was held only every 4th year (like today), that peace had to be hold during this period (what was not allways the case), that woman had (at least at roman time) their own games (once, as I remember, these were hold in Alexandria), that they had a religious background, that there were also other games (the Pythian in Delphi, th Panatheneans in Athens etc.) and what was the myth behind these games. And You should write who send the sportsmen, who was able to take part and what was the price.

Believe me, on my University I had a seminar about such themes as ancient greek festivals, and only these points needed half an hour of referat.

Post 6

Salamander the Mugwump

Are you there Ozzywiz? This Ancient Olympics entry of yours seems to have been abandoned. Are you going to add some more information to it as Krans and Albion have suggested? Personally, I hate sport so I like it short and sweet - but that's just me. Others are more demanding.

It would be good to see it go into the Edited Guide. Consider obliging your peers by adding a bit more historical data. It seems a shame to let such a nice little article languish in limbo.

Sal smiley - smiley

Post 7

Bright Blue Shorts

Well its the beginnings of a good article. One thing I would expect to find is the reason why they died out, which I believe was because of corruption and greed. Might also have been because the Romans didn't like it.

After that you could consider a section comparing the ancients with the moderns, explaining some of the invented traditions of today's games and how they are passed off as pertaining to the ancients.

Post 8

Peter aka Krans

Hmmm... good thing there don't seem to be any members of the IAO around... that could almost have been interpreted as a controversial comment...

Post 9

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

I agree that this is a good start to an entry, but that it still needs considerable work.

As the author doesn't appear to be around to take this on, how would people feel about moving this thread to the Writing Workshop?

smiley - smiley
Mikey

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I really like this entry as it is. I think it is interesting, well written and provides some good facts. But I admit it is a bit short. Will moving it to the writing workshops mean that it will never be seen again, in the absence of a writer? It would be a pity.

Post 11

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

If an entry in the Writing Workshop appears to have been abandoned by its author, then anyone can take it up and work on it. They just have to make sure that they cite the original author as a co-author in the finished piece.

smiley - smiley

Mikey

Conversation Moved

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This Conversation has been moved to the new 'Flea Market' Forum.

This is where we move any Peer Review, Writing Workshop or Alternative Writing Workshop Conversations where the original author has *not* posted to h2g2 for three months. This prevents the active Review Forums from clogging up with dormant entries, but in the Flea Market they can be picked up by others and polished off.

Conversation Moved

Post 13

broelan

Flea Market Clean Out:

This one should stay here, good idea, seems to have gotten mostly positive feedback. Needs lots of fleshing out by modern standards.

Terran started a thread on the entry stating he was taking it over, but I can't find that he ever did anything with it.

Conversation Moved

Post 14

Bluebottle

There is an article here that covers the same topic: A87725163
However this newer article doesn't include the Dead Olympic Champion incident, which is well worth including. Perhaps an update merging the best of both would be in order?

<BB<

Conversation Moved

Post 15

Gnomon - time to move on

I've updated the current edited entry on the Ancient Olympics A87725163 to include most of the information in this entry, and have added the author, Ozzywiz, to it.

This entry should now be removed from the Flea Market.

Conversation Moved

Post 16

Bluebottle

smiley - ok

<BB<

Conversation Moved

Post 17

h2g2 Guide Editors

This is now Back to Entry

(BB)

Key: Complain about this post