This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

Subbing Jadis

Post 1

Bluebottle

A87952981 Jadis, the White Witch - a character in CS Lewis's Narnia stories
I'm subbing this entry, so please subscribe to the above.

<BB<

Subbing Jadis

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, BB. I saw this before I saw that it had been picked! smiley - biggrin

Subbing Jadis

Post 3

Bluebottle

I hope I didn't spoil the surprise.smiley - yikes

I've not got anything to add or change, so if you'd like to read through and let me know what you think. I'm not for a moment going to suggest that you include that Justine Lord played the White Witch for a few seconds in an episode of 'The Young Ones' smiley - winkeye

Not that it matters for this entry, but I had some thoughts on the question of Charn and its sun:

Either Charn itself changed orbit to remain in the 'Goldilocks zone', which in our Solar System currently stretches from roughly 0.8 – 1.8 AU (different scientists give different definitions) and during a Red Giant phase will stretch roughly 50-80 AU.

If the people of Charn are able to put themselves (and possibly other life?) in suspended animation, could this have been done to preserve life during the most dangerous times in the sun's expansion?

Or possibly the people of Charn moved to their current world from another one, possibly but not necessarily from within the same solar system.

Or life did not evolve on Charn until its sun was a red giant.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-planet-redgiant/first-known-planet-to-survive-red-giant-phase-found-idUSL1281159020070912?sp=true

<BB<

Subbing Jadis

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

Or, as I suggested in the entry, the people of Charn were from Earth, from Atlantis, and they went to Charn using their magic dust after the sun had moved into its giant phase.

Subbing Jadis

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

I've just one suggestion for the entry.

It is mentioned in two places that 7 feet is 2.13 metres. One of these is redundant.

I suggest that you remove the comment in brackets from this:

Other than being extremely strong and very tall (7 feet is 2.13m)

smiley - smiley G

Subbing Jadis

Post 6

Bluebottle

smiley - biggrin Okay I've changed that – do you have any other suggestions or is this ready to go?

<BB<

Subbing Jadis

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

It looks OK to me

Subbing Jadis

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

Just spotted this:

1906children's book

There should be a space after 1906.

smiley - smiley

Subbing Jadis

Post 9

Bluebottle

Space – the final frontier, and now there's even more of it in and around 1906. smiley - winkeye

<BB<

Subbing Jadis

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

I've just realised that the term "white witch" is often used these days by Wiccans to mean a woman who believes she can do magic but uses it only for good.

Do you think there should be some sort of note in this entry to acknowledge this other meaning of the phrase? The problem is wording it in a way that doesn't insult Wiccans but also doesn't claim they are capable of doing magic.

Or should we just ignore this?

Subbing Jadis

Post 11

Bluebottle

I would have thought that the (Narnia) White Witch is such an established character now that it isn't actually needed. Especially as apparently the use of terms such as 'white magic' = good and 'black magic' = bad is increasingly frowned on these days, with the use of 'high magic' and 'low magic' preferred.

<BB<

Subbing Jadis

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - ok

Subbing Jadis

Post 13

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - magic

Subbing Jadis

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

Thank you! That's a great picture.

smiley - redwine

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Gnomon - time to move on

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more