This is the Message Centre for Gnomon - time to move on

Subbing Downs, Barrows and Wights

Post 1

Bluebottle

A87879523 Lord of the Rings: Downs, Barrows and Wights

Yep, me again. I'll get back to you in a bit, but feel free to subscribe in the meantime.

<BB<

Post 2

Bluebottle

I've a question.

'The word 'down' means a grassy hill'
I always believed that downland meant chalky grassy hill, but may be wrong. Are there any downs that aren't chalk?

<BB<

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

I believe you are wrong but will have to wait until I get home to my Shorter Oxford English Dictionary to check.

I don't know whether all of the Berkshire Downs are chalk - certainly White Horse Hill at the northwest end is, but I don't know about the southern "branch" of the hills, which includes Watership Down. I don't remember any chalk outcroppings around Watership Down.

Post 4

Bluebottle

Wikipedia describes the Berkshire Downs as 'a range of chalk downland hills in southern England', the South Downs and North Downs, Dorset Downs and Wiltshire Downs and all the Downs on the Isle of Wight are chalk – but then, that's as conclusive as saying as poodles are four legged dogs, Dalmatians, Alsatians and Labradors are four-legged dogs, therefore everything with four legs is a dog.smiley - shrug

I've standardised 'Witch King' to 'Witch-king' throughout. Would you like to read through and let me know if it meets your approval.

<BB<

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

You're right that all the Downs in modern England are of chalk but the word Down previously meant any sort of a hill so it is better not to mention chalk.

Yes the edited version looks good.

smiley - ok

Post 6

Bluebottle

Okay then, I've pressed the button. smiley - smiley

<BB<

Post 7

h2g2 Guide Editors

Congratulations! Your Entry is on the Front Page today smiley - magic

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Gnomon - time to move on

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more