This is the Message Centre for a girl called Ben

Gridlock?

Post 21

a girl called Ben

Welcome to the thread, Doctor Ron. I apologise for the fact that the whole of this page is dedicated to internal site-wrangling. H2g2 is better than the page suggests, and I will restore my U-Space to its former glory fairly soon.

"Italics" is h2g2 slang for the BBC employees who edit and otherwise run the site. Their User names appear in Bold Italics above their posts - hence the name.
"Why doesn't the site adhere to the sentiments expressed by its founder?"

What organisation ever does?

Ben

Gridlock?

Post 22

Doctor Ron.. takin care a bizness..

Thank you for welcoming my intrusion.

Good point you make about what organization heh? Seemed though as if the founder had the best idea all along. Just hard to implement by less inspired minds not directly involved perhaps?

I suppose now I need to look for these italic entries. Do you have maybe have an example handy to which you could direct me?

Gridlock?

Post 23

a girl called Ben

Well, the Italics don't really have entries as such, they steer the ship and turn up in the conversation threads every now and again. I guess the Italic to start with would be Mina, though. U290.

Welcome to h2g2, it IS a great site, (which is why we all get so het up about it). Have fun here.

B

Gridlock?

Post 24

RAF Wing... Lookee I'm Invisible!!

Thanks, Ben, for explaining stuff. I too have often wondered who or what the italics were but, unlike Doctor Ron, been too dumb to ask.

I just don't know how to deal with this corporate garbage I guess. It's like I'm just hurting myself when I resist but what happens to me if I don't? Besides which I never intended to hurt anybody really. Just try to clarify some stuff but that never seems to get any attention either.

You must have the patience of Job to deal with this stuff so long and diligently.

Gridlock?

Post 25

a girl called Ben

I am fortunate I guess: I was brought up to believe that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Unfortunately like most aphorisms that is a lie, but like most aphorisms it has truth in it.

I am not sure whether I have the patience of a Job, or whether, as it says on the version of my U-Space currently residing on my hard drive, the BBC have browbeaten me into apathy. smiley - erm

The one thing I do know is that I am a realist in my own way, and I prefer to subvert a system from within, rather than break my heart by throwing myself body and mind into rebellion. Besides, the pay is better my way!

One thing I *have* learned though, is that I could never work for government.

But you have hit the nail on the head - patience is the key here.

Thank you for visiting the thread, and thank you for posting in it, Analiese.

B

Gridlock?

Post 26

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I was fortunate enough t visit the Towers on Friday with little smiley - fish.

I agree with Ben. Patience.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Gridlock?

Post 27

Tube - the being being back for the time being

I also suggest taking a look at the h2g2 Glossary A901829smiley - smiley

Gridlock?

Post 28

a girl called Ben

Since everything seems to have shifted into a new phase of the italics posting lots of lovely information, (but refusing to lend impoverished researchers the odd fifty quid - the meanies) I am going to remove this from my U-Space.

I'll restore it if I have anything in particular to add to the thread.

B

Gridlock?

Post 29

J

smiley - laugh The information is great! Tis really helpful

Thanks for posting those questions, Ben.

smiley - blacksheep

Gridlock?

Post 30

Tube - the being being back for the time being

smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for a girl called Ben

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more