A Conversation for Kenneth Williams - the Actor

The "Barclays"

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I watched the programme on Kenneth last night and in his diaries he referred to "sue the Bank" or "Have a Barclays" - that's rhyming slang for w*nk.

I didn't know that.

I worked for Barclays for 7 years and never knew that.

I wonder if my old workmates do!smiley - biggrin

What a sad life he led, his morbid fear of penetration, he even hated visitors using his toilet.smiley - sadface

The "Barclays"

Post 2

coelacanth

They do say you should learn something new every day GB! You've obviously never read his diaries, edited by Russell Davies, which gives an insight into his life. I can highly recommend them. Your library will probably have a copy, or can at least order it for you.
You'll never watch a Carry On in the same way again!

smiley - bluefish

The "Barclays"

Post 3

I'll keep a look-out.smiley - ok

I loved the Carry-On films!smiley - laugh

The "Barclays"

Post 4

Dazza Oxford

As a user of Barclays Bank I'm not too sure either of how many would know the slang meaning, however I too can recommend his Diaries - they are insightful, shocking and really revealing, take my word for it smiley - winkeye

The "Barclays"

Post 5

I'm still learning...someone in my Celibacy thread called it "washing" the other day.

smiley - laugh

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more