This is the Message Centre for h2g2 Musicians Guild

Guitar project...

Post 1

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

Just thought I'd drop by here and let y'all know how my first guitar rebuild project went...

I took a carppy old Ibanez Strat that was just about passable for punk and thrash and decided it needed things like tone, and clarity, and other things that make for a decent sound.
I was going to do a like-for-like swap of the pickups but instead decided to think outside the box a bit and fitted an overwound PAF-style humbucker in the bridge position and a P-90 in the neck (thanks to some cavity re-routing courtesy of my Father in Law). Also gave it a new bridge, new pots and switch, new tuners, and a new nut.

This guitar is now awesome... but still not as comfortable to play as a flying V. smiley - sadface Which is okay because now I want to put new pickups in my V as wellsmiley - smiley, these new ones sound so much better than anything else I own.

Guitar project...

Post 2

Vip

Wow. There was a lot of words in that. There was also a lot of positive words, so I'm guessing the project was a success. smiley - winkeye Well done though, it's not easy to rebuild something and have it come out sounding better than when you started. And if you're putting in new stuff into your V you know what you're doing. smiley - winkeye

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for h2g2 Musicians Guild

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more