This is the Message Centre for Shea the Sarcastic

Think I'll eat at my desk

Post 1

Shea the Sarcastic

We got an email message at w*rk yesterday:

Good afternoon.

Some of you may know that The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 is released this Friday. It has been approved for the ladies of PartnerShip to take an extended lunch and go watch the movie! There is a 12:10 show at Crocker Park on Friday. We will probably have to purchase tickets online at fandango before the movie so we can secure our entrance. Please let me know if you are interested in going.

Thank you!

Quite frankly, this is a tough dilemma! I'd like a long lunch, but barring a dentist appointment, there aren't many worse ways of spending it!

It's nice to know that I w*rk for a place that is willing to give their employees a treat, but it's disheartening to know that I w*rk with a bunch of 14 year old girls.

Post 2

Baron Grim

My response would have to be, "are you smiley - bleeping kidding me?"

This writer is completely clueless:
http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/14/8802914-you-cant-help-loving-or-hating-twilight-study-suggests

She seems to suggest that if you don't like Twilight, you don't appreciate fantasy. No. I don't like Twilight because it's saccharine pablum that treats the female characters as if they are codependent slaves to emotion. (I saw a funny demotivator type poster image yesterday with the following slogan. "Twilight: the worst thing to happen to feminism since The Sandwich." smiley - laugh)

Post 3

Shea the Sarcastic

I've never been the slightest bit interested in the whole Twilight sparkly vampire phenomenon.
I'm a few decades removed from thinking it's entertaining.

I think your explanation says it in a nutshell! Perhaps I'll use it! smiley - laugh

I never make fun of what other people may like ... which is difficult, because of the absolute rubbish that passes for entertainment, and the fact that so many people around me enjoy it. I just let them chat among themselves about it.

But I might just look for that poster you mentioned. I'd love to hang it up here!

Post 4

Baron Grim

I will make fun of adult women that get Twilight tattoos. smiley - laugh I'd post some links but I can't get to the ugliest tattoos website from work.

Post 5

broelan

Seriously??! A company outing around a Twilight movie? smiley - laugh
Please tell me they weren't also willing to purchase the tickets?

Heck, I have a hard enough time getting away from the office to vote on election days. A movie? And not even a good one?

Last week a co-worker asked me if I followed Twilight, I told her I'd read the books. All of them? she asked. Well, yes, back when they came out. So you know what's going to happen then in the next movie? I could make a fairly educated guess, yes. Would I tell her? No, I don't think so.

Now, I *am* looking forward to the Hunger Games. I won't take a long lunch for it, but I'll probably go see it.

Post 6

Baron Grim

The Hunger... THAT was a good vampire story. David Bowie, Catherine Deneuve. That would make a good lunch film.

Post 7

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

It's alright for you. It doesn't pervade your place of work like it does mine smiley - sadface Ah well, the good thing about Twilight films - the only good thing about Twilight films - is that their audience has the shortest attention span of any film franchise. A week after opening, they're over it smiley - laugh

Post 8

Shea the Sarcastic

We have to buy our own tickets. I was told not to worry, because it's matinee prices. Only $8. smiley - ill

Think I'll stay at w*ork and poke sticks in my eyes instead.

Post 9

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

We had two film reviews in my paper today

The Help received smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - ok

The Twilight received smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - rolleyes

I know what I'm going to watch smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 10

Twilight or Titanic. I can' t think which would be worse.

Post 11

Baron Grim

Or that new Adam Sandler flick... smiley - yuk

Post 12

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I can't fairly compare the two films. I saw "Titanic," but I've seen
none of the "Twilight" movies. "Titanic" has some good actors in it. There are scenes of real suspence in it. The soundtrack is excellent.
Leonardo and Kate have won a number of awards, and are major draws for audiences.

Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner have yet to make a big impression as actors. Maybe their relative youth explains some of this. I can't remember the names of the actresses in the "Twilight" series, so I might be overlooking someone whose talent is gaining more and more respect. For the record, I've seen Pattinson in a Harry Potter movie, "Remember me," and "Water for elephants." He always seemed to be playing the same character. Not a lot of range. Of course, this has also been said about Keanu Reeves, who has become something of an institution. Seth Rogen is beginning to seem like a one-note actor as well. Their fans do not seem to care. To be fair, there's room for actors who can only do one thing, but do it so well that nobody seems to mind.

Post 13

Baron Grim

I just saw the trailer for The Hunger Games. That does look interesting. smiley - bigeyes

I was reminded of Battle Royale a bit.

Post 14

Baron Grim

http://boingboing.net/2011/11/16/trailer-tuesday-the-hunger-ga.html

Post 15

I'm not familiar with "Hunger games." Is it based on a bestselling book?

Post 16

Baron Grim

Yes, apparently: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0439023521/boingboing

Post 17

Mistadrong, (Count vonCount.)the last Gog standing

The Guardian reviewed this Twilight movie and here's just a snippet
from it.
"the person next to me was openly sniffling. So was I. For different
reasons. The ongoing emo-operetta of this drama now sweeps us away on a
new riptide of mawkish euphoria."
I believe that watching these 4 films back-to-back is the new alternative to a frontal lobotomy. But less humane.
smiley - vampire

Post 18

Baron Grim

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l55h7qRJbC1qa0g4m.jpg

Post 19

W. C Fields said,"I would rather have the bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Post 20

broelan

I don't know what made me pick up the Hunger Games, because I usually steer clear of youth fiction unless it is specifically recommended to me (Potter and Twilight) or it's written by Pratchett. I couldn't read them fast enough, and then broe jr tore through them as well - so they appeal to a wider audience.

Key: Complain about this post