A Conversation for 20 Guidelines for Raising a Child

Guidlines for Raising Children

Post 1

PharmChick

There are a few more things that I do as a single parent that might also be helpful:
Celebrate the "weirdness" that is your child. I do not mean this in a derogatory way. In my family, we define "weirdness" as everything that makes you different and special. For example, my 15-year old son will suddenly break into song and/or dance WHENEVER the mood strikes him. I have never stopped this behavior because it is, in the truest sense, my son marching to the beat of his own drummer. I love him for it and occasionally envy him for the confidence to truly not care what others think.
Encourage any activity they are passionate about, even if you don't understand it. My son is artistic while I cannot even draw stick figures. I do not always like or understand what he paints and draws but it is part of him and I love it. Even when his "artistic temperament" shows. I love the self expression and am proud of everything he puts on a canvas.
Allow them to have opinions different than your own. This encourages them to think for themselves and if they learn that it's okay, then when peer pressure hits, they will have the confidence to walk away rather than give in.
Encourage independence while giving them a strong foundation and sense of "roots". The more you encourage them to step into the world alone, the more they will appreciate all that has been done to bring them to this stage of their lives.
Let them know exactly what is acceptable behavior and what is not. Manners are crucial. Illegally behavior is forbidden. End of conversation.
It really does take a village. Be thoughtful of who you bring into your child's life and what impact that person will have on them. Allow the "right" people to have relationships apart from your own with your child. Trust that if you really need to know, they will tell you. If not, let it alone.
Talk to your kids about sex, drugs and alcohol and lead be example. Actions really are louder than words. Don't hide the alcohol. That just makes it a "forbidden fruit".

That is all I can think of for now. Give your kid a hug for me smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Guidlines for Raising Children

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more