A Conversation for Mushrooms that Kill Humans

Mushrooms!

Post 1

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Very good article on mushrooms that you can't eat.......

What about those you can eat????

'G'

Mushrooms!

Post 2

Zarquon the Ninth

Not only are there loads of edible mushrooms out there, but this is probably the best time of the year to find them - especially in the forests.

This is the time to find the KING OF MUSHROOMS - BOLETUS EDULIS - one of the most prized - also known as "CEP" (French) or "PORCINI" (Italian).

If you want to start picking mushrooms you will need two things - a good "field guide" full of photos and preferably someone experienced to go with initially, to introduce you - sometimes even the photos can be deceptive.

Mushrooms!

Post 3

Hunter, who is rarely on H2G2 anymore.

"So we found this big white mushroom which we called 'the orb', and we decided to take it home and worship it for a couple of days."

- unknown

Mushrooms!

Post 4

Captain Slogg

Sounds like the Giant Puff-ball (Langermannia Gigantea) The large spherical fruit body grows to about 80cm. across . Although I understand the philosophical dilemma created when one discovers that ones God is good to eat,the Giant Puff-ball is edible when still white and firm,

Mushrooms!

Post 5

Synapse

But if you drink alcohol around the time you eat a puff ball you would rather be dead!

Mushrooms!

Post 6

Mr_Jeffers

Urgh, I remember when I was little we went mushroom picking and found some giant puffballs and my mum cooked them. They were utterly horrid and soaked up oil like a sponge. Shame realy, it was quite exciting to find them.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more