A Conversation for New Scientific Discovery

A418862 New Scientific Discovery

Post 1

Lizard Prince- A437203 Owner, Muse, H2G2GAs, Prince of Lizards, Carrier of Black Towels

Many people probably wouldn't like this entry, but I find it a hilarious dose of gratuitous sarcasm. Give me your opinions.

Post 2

amdsweb

Hi,
I had a snigger, possibly even a guffaw.
I don't think it would be accepted into the edited guide cos its a bit too DNA, and has shameless DNA worship in it. Plus theres already an entry on books at http://www.h2g2.com/A193998

I do like it though!

Oh OK, I had a belly laugh as well.

- Adam

Post 3

Lizard Prince- A437203 Owner, Muse, H2G2GAs, Prince of Lizards, Carrier of Black Towels

Thanks... I, personally, thought that it didn't fit the average h2g2 type article. It's mainly there to make people entertained... Not to inform, as all h2g2 articles should be. I do think that it was very DNA-esque... But I didn't realise it as I wrote the article... Finally, I would like to thank you for the compliments and for your opinion. If only I had more replies...

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

That is a very amusing article; and, just because it isn't quite the sort of thing that is likely to be edited, we shouldn't think less of it... it's a bit of fun, and that's the sort of thing that makes the Guide worth exploring.smiley - smiley

Post the URL next time. It makes it much easier for lazy people (like me) to click their way around.smiley - winkeye

http://www.h2g2.com/A418862

JTG

Post 5

amdsweb

I agree with JTG's first paragraph

Post 6

shrinkwrapped

I disagree: many people probably WOULD like this entry!
What The Guide needs is some sort of sub-section of _good quality_ humerous work that aren't quite the encyclopedic/factual type needed for official entries, but are fun to read.
Maybe an 'Entertainment' or 'And Finally...' style section...? It'd be a shame to miss out on entries like this.

Post 7

Cenchrea

Um, I've heard this before... a couple of years ago, in fact. Is this original? I mean, I love it, and it would be just nifty in the guide, but to put it bluntly: are you the original author, and what are the Guide's policies on that?

Post 8

TheOkapi - Sensitive Scout...So Do It PROPERLY!

Came across this entry last night...and loved it! As to its merits (or lack of same) in terms of the Guide, I agree that fun has its place, and this is excellent fun, but the guidelines do say something along the lines of sticking to 'the facts Ma'am, just the facts.'
I suggested that in the forum for this piece that it might look rather good in the Fiction section, and left the relevant number.
it certainly gets my vote, though!

Post 9

I am, indeed, the original author. I'm sure that somewhere in this world, one of 6 billion people might have said something very similiar to this entry. That is purely coincidental. I am totally against plageurism. I apologise if this is similiar to anything else that may have already existed. I find it very probable that something similiar to this has been said or written. Actually, I find it almost definite. But that's a pure coincidence.

Post 10

shrinkwrapped

In retrospect, this does indeed sound familiar. Any Brits reading may remember some comedy program, possibly on BBC2, which had a section in where objects or scientific theories were explained using er... general silliness.

Post 11

Luckily, absolute and guaranteed originality of thought isn't a criterion for acceptance in the Guide or in life. Thank god... we'd all have to wear gene-splicer fezzes. On the other hand, to say that this work describes books in a realistic way, which is a criterion for Edited Entries, is a bit of a stretch; but, as I said before, that doesn't in the least diminish its value.

JTG

Post 12

Cenchrea

Okay, then. I don't mean to make any trouble for anyone, but to strive for original authorship. I loved the piece two years ago in Mr. Wiley's class, and I love it now. Nice work. smiley - smiley

Post 13

I want to make it clear that the issue of plagiarism is a very serious one. It is a bad thing on a number of levels, not least because it is a frustrating waste of time to have edited something and then find that it has been pilfered from another web-site. The H2G2 policy on plagiarism goes like this...

"When you sign up to h2g2 you agree to our terms and conditions, including one dealing with copyright: 'You agree not to use the forum to transmit material that infringes the intellectual property or other rights of another.' In other words, please do not copy chunks of text from other Internet sites or from anywhere else. Not only does plagiarising other people's work break our terms and conditions, it is also illegal in most countries. If it is discovered that you have been copying, the entry will be removed from the site and you could be barred, so please don't do it. After all, you wouldn't want someone to steal your work and pretend it's their own, would you?"

I admit to not having made that up.smiley - winkeye

JTG

Post 14

There might have been something like this on the BBC. I don't have the least bit of an idea. I'm an American. I've never even left the country. But for a more in-depth discussion on the originality of this entry, please look above at other stuff I said.

Post 15

Please don't construe anything I've said as an accusation. It certainly wasn't meant that way. I was just a bit concerned that I might have seemed to be defending plagiarism in this interesting discussion of the nature of originality and creative thought.smiley - smiley

But you're right to feel a bit miffed. We're supposed to be reviewing your Entry, which we ought not to tar with this particular brush, however unintentionally.

JTG

Post 16

amdsweb

*group hug*

Post 17

Dr. Wonky Mungbean, I think that you've spoken volumes in your actions. We're all good, honest "people" here. All opinions are welcome, even if it's a crock. *has a toke* So, it's like a cork in the ocean, with a hole in the bottom of the ocean, turning clockwise, would the cork plug the hole? Even if it did, it'd be too late. *blacks out*

Note: All messages after the virutal toke, shouldn't be taken literally. Including this one.

Post 18

§hadow

What the heck, I'm going to go ahead, submit this for review and see if we can't get it put into The Guide. I liked it as much as everyone else did and agree The Guide shouldn't just be all about serious stuff. So, keep your fingers, toes and eyes crossed for luck.
~§~
§hadow
http://www.h2g2.com/u133044

Post 19

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

And if you encounter objection then just point at that entry describing how to convert plastic bags into fake bra's, which /was/ added to the Guide.

Post 20

§hadow

Sorry Lizard Prince, no objection to the article was given, however I WAS pointed to an existing entry on books. Better luck next time and don't give up hope. Keep on writing and keep up the good work.
~§~
§hadow
http://www.h2g2.com/u133044

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more