A Conversation for The H2IQ Quiz - Be The First Among Equals

Tuesday 19th September 2000

Post 1

GreeboTCat

Happy Birthday DD... ~Greebo gives DD and birthday huggle... hope you have a great day... kiss~

Todays questions....

How far can Greebo run into the woods???

Post 2

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Half way!

Post 3

Trillian's child

Half way is right, for the rest of the way, she is running out again.

Even with being an hour ahead of GMT I still can't get here on time. Darn!

Post 4

JAR (happy to be back, but where's Ping?)

Oh no!

Greebo can run all the way into the woods. If she only runs half way into the wood, she would either be stuck one quarter of the forests length (one half of it's depth), or she would have half her body inside the woods and half her body (the latter part) outside the woods. Now, if that means she would have reached the center of the woods, it would be a very small forest indeed, wouldn't it?

Doesn't the word wood sound awfully strange by now?

My answer is that Greebo can run all she like, and most certanly all the way into the wood.

JAR, finally coming up with an answer of his own

disclaimer: I assume Greebo is a female. If I am wrong, please mailbomb me at someone elses adress.

Post 5

Babel17

Oh poot! smiley - sadface
Lost top spot and don't get to answer first.
(Coelacanth is NOT going to be too happy about this! smiley - tongueout)

Post 6

Titania (gone for lunch)

Too late, again!

Post 7

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

When one is too late to supply the correct answer, I believe the correct protocol is to come up with a series of annoying questions:

Why is Greebo running into the woods? Is she being chased by an alligator?
Is Greebo in very good physical condition?
Are the woods very dense? Do they have a clear path?
Are there doughnuts strewn about the woods that might distract Greebo?
Is Jimmy Osmond living in a cave in the woods? Is he singing (this would cause me at least to avoid the woods entirely)?
Is it dark in the woods, and do Greebo's socks match?
Does the theory of relativity apply in the woods?

and of course,

If a tree falls in the woods, and Greebo has not run into the woods yet, is there anyone there to hear it?

Post 8

Trillian's child

Good question (s)

Post 9

Witty Moniker

I wanna know what song Jimmy Osmond is singing. Probably one of the all time worst songs ever. Like 'been thru the desert on a horse with no name' or 'Louie Louie'. And who wrote those songs anyway. And in what year. And how high did they rise on the charts? smiley - winkeye

Post 10

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

He is singing "Macarthur Park" with the accompaniment of 27 violins, and a kazoo.

/* humming */

hmmm hmmm hmmm, left my cake out in the rain
and I'll never find that recipe again
hmmm hmmm

/*stops humming, and beats himself. */

Post 11

He is singing "Macarthur Park" with the accompaniment of 27 violins, and a kazoo.

/* humming */

hmmm hmmm hmmm, left my cake out in the rain
and I'll never find that recipe again
hmmm hmmm

/*stops humming, and beats himself. */

Post 12

I had to do that twice, just in case anyone was not listening.

Post 13

Boswell

I always miss this -i'll never get here on time even missing the witty yet slightly disconcerting answers.I cant better Jimmy Osmond.
But if greebo is a cat wouldnt she run up the wood instead of into it.Then you would have to call the fire brigade.

Post 14

cloughie(Patron Saint of Flying Pigs)stop by my barbecue! A520318

I'd have to say that the answer would vary, it would depend on the size of the woods, and how Greebo feels at the time. Maybe she just had a big meal, and can only run a little ways. And if the woods were miles and miles deep, we couldn't expect her to run ALL the way into the woods. But then again, once she's run into the woods at all, she's run all of the way into the woods. Ok, you're either in the woods or out of the woods, it's really a language question. So JAR is right, but not in the sense that Greebo has to run to the middle of the woods, because once she's IN the woods, she's already run all of the way into the woods.

damn, I should get at least a 1/2 credit for that, I think my thinker is done thunked out! smiley - smiley

Post 15

GreeboTCat

Well done GB... a very simple answer... for a tricky question... ~grin~ ...

Post 16

Ottox

No no no!!! JAR and cloughie are right. The answer must be : ALL the way !!!!! Half way is half answer - should give no more than half a point. And this posting should be in http://www.h2g2.com/F51431?thread=70739. ;-)

Post 17

GreeboTCat

If you are running into a thing that you can also run out of... say a wood for instance... then you can only run so far INTO it... before you would then be ruuning OUT of it... Even if you turned around you would be running out of it...

Me not understand your argument... at a certain point in the woods you would cross the half way point... and even if you did not know it... you would be running out of the woods from that point...

Post 18

cloughie(Patron Saint of Flying Pigs)stop by my barbecue! A520318

YES! but you would have already run ALL OF THE WAY INTO the woods then, wouldn't you have?

Post 19

JD

Heh. I gotta agree here. Once you've reached the midpoint or center of the woods, you could say at that very moment in time, Greebo has run all the way into the woods as there is no further "into the woods" for her to run.

(btw, the original Greebo was male - I am assuming that the H2G2 incarnation of Greebo is female, correct?)

Post 20

Will Jenkins (Dead)

I suppose I would be scolded soundly for saying "oh dear, it appears I'm too late again"

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more