A Conversation for The Peak District, Derbyshire, UK

Top places to go in the Peak District National Park...

Post 1

Mr X {he who hasn't yet thought of a really cool name}

Now it has to be said that 'The Peaks' as those who know it well call it, is a great place for outdoor-y things....

There are lots of different walks and stuff to do and things to see, these are some of my favourites:

- See Ladybower resovoir - supplies water for west sheffield and
places in the south like Leicester!
Once used to be a village but they flooded it.

- Cool walk - walk across ladybower dam, up win hill (fantastic
views) then down the ridge through the forest back to the side
of the lake, follow back along the edge of the lake till you
reach the dam again!

- See Castleton - nice little village with caves and tea rooms and
a castle!

- See froggat - cool place for climbing

- See Bakewell - famous for its Tarts

- Walk up 'Mam Tor' near castleton, 2nd highest point in the peaks

That's about it for now, enjoy the peaks!

Post 2

Metal Chicken

Good recommendations Mr X smiley - ok

I think it was on Froggat that I had my first go at climbing, one of the ridges round there anyway.
Have you ever had the chance to wander around the remains of the village that drowned under Ladybower? There was a very dry summer a few years back, revealing lots of the ruined remains of houses, farm walls and so on. The church spire, if I remember correctly, used to appear above the waterline regularly when the reservoir was first created but was eventually demolished. Certainly wasn't a spire around this last dry summer.

But please, it's Bakewell Puddings not tarts. smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Mr X {he who hasn't yet thought of a really cool name}

yep, froggat is a great place to go climbing!

yes i've heard about those remains under ladybower but i've never seen the water low enough to see them, apparently they knocked down the church steeple because people kept trying to swim out to it and that's a bit dangerous....

Post 4

Alec Trician. (is keeping perfectly still)

...catch the train from Sheffield to Grindleford station...marvel at the mouth of the tunnel when you get out.(Imagine you are small, and an express Steam train comes roaring out)

...Walk up the path by the stream behind the station through the woods,

...Keep going upstream, past rock pools and small waterfalls. Head North or left and you come out at the base of Millstone Edge, a warren of quarries and cliffs.

...Not much further up and suddenly before you is...
'The Surprise'... the most fantastic view of the whole of the Hope valley. you can see all the way up to Mam Tor, Wynnat's Pass and the cement works chimney...

Make sure the heather is out, usually late summer.

Buy a cup of tea and a sticky bun from a 'desert rat' tea wagon, and wait for the next bus home.

...is it all still there?

alec.smiley - smiley

Post 5

madwytch

I quite enjoyed visiting Buxton and Grin Low.
Much fun was had standing on Solomon's Temple pretending to be Saruman in Lord of the Rings. smiley - smiley
Also, I understand that the cave there has the longest unobstructed underground view to be found in this country.
The snow, however, was a problem. Particularly unexpected too, considering we came in sunny March!

Post 6

Mat

Many fond memories of Edale as a kid and as an adult. Growing up in a south Manchester suburb meant that the Peaks were only an hour or so away. Edale is a handy starting point with various walking routes starting there and returning you to The Nag's Head pub for a well earned pint. smiley - ale

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more