A Conversation for Pi The Movie

Flea Market: A414505 - Pi The Movie

Post 1

FZ

I want the hitchikers review my writing about the movie "Pi".

Any suggestions, recommendations are welcome.

I hope this can be Edited Guide entry.

A414505 - Pi The Movie

Post 2

amdsweb

Just finished reading your entry.
Very interesting!
If I could make a few points:

1) Try to avoid writing in the first person if you can.
2) There are a few typos - what I do is write my entries in an external text editor, run a spell-check, then cut & paste it into the text box where your entry goes. I usually pick up about 15 spelling mistakes per entry - mainly cos my typing is terrible!
3) It would be useful if you included a bit on each of the characters - names of actors, etc, as well as a bit on who directed it (Darren Aronofsky).
4) Your big bit in brackets may look neater if you do it as a footnote.
5) You could include a link to the Wei Chi entry (A265466)

Hope this is helpful! If you need any help with things like guideML, let me know, or alternatively take a peek at the GuideML clinic ( http://www.h2g2.com/GuideML-Clinic ).

Best wishes,

- Adam

A414505 - Pi The Movie

Post 3

FZ

Thank you very much for your critics.

I agree you with converting the bracketed notes into footnotes and putting a link to Wei Chi entry. I was a little bit in hurry and excited for entering an entry #smiley - bigeyes

And you are right for spelling errors, I may have missed some of them.

About the film, I rather wanted it to be an interesting film critic,
mainly from the point of view of a mathematics student.

I'll take your advices into account.

A414505 - Pi The Movie

Post 4

Ellee

I just finished reading you piece. Excellent job. Still, because I too am an opinionated student, I'd like to bring up a few things.

1) The computer technology may not be current by a long shot, but it is not uncommon to be scraping the bottom of the technology barrel when doing research. In this particular case, finding the end of pi is of very little importance to most as it is neither high profile nor profitable. Funding would be very slim. Also, we are being shown the tail end of a dying project. These may be the tools given to the project in the beginning.

2) It has been a while since I saw the film, so bear with me. The *silicon, juicy, sticky leftover pour[ing] down on the circuitry* is not meant to be the result of a CPU meltdown, but the very beginnings of life. If pi were meant to be God's secrets of creation, why not suppose that processing that secret would begin to transform the machine. Remember this is a work of science fiction with a bit of spirituality. You are meant to suspend your disbelief. Lean a little on faith.

3) I love the end of the film. How else could a human cope with carrying the secrets of God? As you say it is a matter of taste and I was fascinated by PI.

Thank you for tackling a critique of this difficult film. If nothing else you've given me the chance to share my views. Good luck in the selection process.

A414505 - Pi The Movie

Post 5

Crescent

It sounds like an interesting film smiley - smiley and the Entry seems good smiley - smiley However did all those points spoil your enjoyment of the film? Was it worth going along to? Would you see it again? Just some questions smiley - smiley You point out the plot, and some dodgy things in it, but was it worthy of an evening out? or is it I will see it when it comes on video (ha - if it ever does smiley - smiley Just wondering smiley - smiley Well, until later.....
BCNU - Crescent

A414505 - Pi The Movie

Post 6

FZ

Did all those points spoil my enjoyment of the film? On the contrary, they made the film an extraordinary experience for me. And everytime I watch the movie I can find something different.

Would I see it again? Actually I watched it for 3 times and wouldn't hesitate to watch it for the 4th time.

It is a great movie and the winner of Sundance Film Festival.

It is worth seeing.

See you...

A414505 - Pi The Movie

Post 7

Crescent

Excellent smiley - smiley If it ever reaches the cultural backwater of Aberdeen, it will be on my to watch list smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

A414505 - Pi The Movie

Post 8

FZ

Thanks for the copmliments now let's come to the discussion:

1) Your argument may seem reasonable but believe me the hardware was REALLY OBSOLETE... I mean finding 5.25" diskettes and those kinda keyboards are more expensive than finding their up-to-date counterparts.

Do you remember the representative of one big company, a woman who gives a ultra-high-tech microchip to Max? Max takes this up-to-date chip and easily integrates it to his system without any problems... Well this seems a little bit condratictory even for a genius like Max.

2) So dou you mean it didn't melt down? If we are going to talk about consciousness then we can't simply rely on theoretical mathematics. Some kind of physics (preferrably a developed version of quantum theory) must be involved since we're talking about a weird physical phenomenon here, am I wrong?

3) You may say I'm a faithless smiley - smiley Well I loved the film very much but I don't find the final of the film to be optimistic. It is rather pessimistic for me. Just forget about your problems and smile happily to the skies...

So what are the universities for? Just believe in God... This may render the works of Riemann, Gauss, Einstein, etc. useless because they tried to solve the problems of our universe and this effort goes on.

We have to define our philosphy and point of view against the problem of conquering and demystifying the secrets of life, universe and everything smiley - smiley

Hope this can be a fruitful discussion...

Conversation Moved

Post 9

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This Conversation has been moved to the new 'Flea Market' Forum.

This is where we move any Peer Review, Writing Workshop or Alternative Writing Workshop Conversations where the original author has *not* posted to h2g2 for three months. This prevents the active Review Forums from clogging up with dormant entries, but in the Flea Market they can be picked up by others and polished off.

Conversation Moved

Post 10

DoctorGonzo

I'd like to have a stab at completing this. I thought the film was ace, as was Requiem for a Dream, so it's a shame for it to go neglected...

Conversation Moved

Post 11

Crescent

I would like to see it finished as well smiley - smiley Still havn't seen it smiley - sadface Well, until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Pi The Movie

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more