A Conversation for Talking Point: Life's Little Pleasures

A hot bath...

Post 1

Is mise Duncan

That moment when you slip back under the bathwater until just the tops of your knees and your nose are above the water and just shut the whole world out.
Magic smiley - winkeye.

A hot bath...

Post 2

Drop Dead Gorgeous Demonic Babe

especially if you have a damn good book and bottle of wine beside you... well, that is if there's not someone to keep you company...

and how do i get that smiley thing?

A hot bath...

Post 3

Is mise Duncan

Ooh yeah - one oif those bathrooms that can keep the water hot so you can stay in the bath for ages...that'd get rid of the knots in my shoulders (of which I am now suffering)...mmm smiley - winkeye

P.S. Smiley is : - ) (but without the spaces)

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 4

Wand'rin star

So would a Chinese massage - but that probably counts as a major pleasure.
Putting hot feet into iced water at the end of a long,hard day
Sitting on the stoop reading the Guardian weekly in the middle of the night.
Shiny new coins in change for a dirty note.
Silly emails from friends and family and friends of family
Milk with ginger in it (a recent addition to the local supermarket shelves)
Giving in a set of marked papers a day before anyone else does!!
Coming into the office when the windows have been cleaned

I was working in a different office today. Three separate colleagues made me coffee during the afternoon. I think that's probably another major pleasure, though.

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 5

aw.... (goes and stands behind Duncan) there there (begins to massage back) feeling any better?? smiley - smiley

yey! it works!! is there any others? is it just the same as emoticons? smiley - winkeye ta da! oooh... i think i could like this place a lot...

now. how are your shoulders? I can get some oils from my 'space' - is that what they call it - and do it properly..... smiley - winkeye

umm... hi! wandrin'star.....

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 6

Is mise Duncan

That Chinese massage sounds like just the job. smiley - bigeyes

I had physio at lunchtime for my frozen shoulder and it was absolute agony...it turns out that physios are state sanctioned psycopaths.

Other small pleasures...
* The smell of corriander cooking
* The view out of my office window over a sunwashed Dublin bay to Howth
* The fact that a colleague is outside buying me an ice-cream because I was looking stressed

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 7

Wand'rin star

Hm to you too, young lady. Beware what you get up to in the spear-carrier's bathroom
smiley - sadface
smiley - sadface
smiley - sadface
;-(
smiley - sadface
His mother warned him about women like you (I think: I seem to have some memory of doing so smiley - smiley )

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 8

oh dear... um. my humblest apologies Wandrin'star... I've only been here a while... I'll probably get all the protocols wrong to begin with....

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 9

Wand'rin star

Oh, heck. Abi, where are you ? Tell her I'm joking - and bsides it's for her own good
One of life's small pleasures is teasing Dunx on h2g2 (I'm his mother)
I think the view counts as a large pleasure

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 10

Is mise Duncan

Pah - I think Abis having a sicknote day off - I haven't heard from her all afternoon.

Huge pleasure coming up...a lovely pint or two of perfectly poured Guinness then a walk home along the beach. I may even go and sit on said beach with a book too smiley - winkeye.

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 11

(comes out from hiding) you sure? smiley - smiley And who is Abi?

um... pleasures. last thing at night, a full moon, stars twinkling bright, nice man on your arm, and the whole evening to waste....

Its also great to see the dawn from a beach.... smiley - smiley

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 12

Is mise Duncan

Abi is one of the "Community editors" which actually less draconian than it sounds. She lives at http://www.h2g2.com/U281 and it was she that originally set up this "Lifes simple pleasures" thread.

Full moon is a pleasure definitely.
Others:
* Dawn chorus if you were already awake
* Switching off the alarm clock for the weekend (although I aint able to do that this weekend)
* Watching fluffy white clouds and making animal shapes from them...

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 13

Courtney Patron Saint of Social Embarassment

A hot bubblebath with candles going and some soft music. smiley - smiley Can melt away any bad day. mmmmmm I can already imagine it.

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 14

IanG

...or a little more succinctly, Abi is some kind of goddess... smiley - bigeyes

Other small pleasures

Post 15

Wand'rin star

Logging back on the following morning to see where the topics have drifted to overnight
The smell of new books
Still being able to touch my toes
Another bud opening on the gardemia bush
Being driven by a good driver (so I can watch the scenery instead of the road)
Walking barefoot on clean sand

Other small pleasures

Post 16

Wand'rin star

Breakfast in bed
Silk underwear
Fitted sheets
Finishing the Guardian crossword

Other small pleasures

Post 17

Is mise Duncan

* Seeing someone enjoying something (usually food in my case) that you have made.
* Saving a penalty.

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 18

Jezery (Keeper of cute, cuddly little rottweilers)

A hot bath sounds great if you live in a cold climate, but as a resident of the tropics I prefer my spa.

Get home from work, pour youself a nicely chilled glass of wine, (or an ice-cold beer for the blokes), slip into a nice cool spa and let the icy jets of water pummel the day's stress away. smiley - smiley

A hot bath.etc.etc

Post 19

Cloviscat

Hi everybody!

The hot bath is definitely the thing: but with lots and LOTs of bubbles. If you know what to do with the taps you can get the froth to be two feet high! Bubble bath is my big indulgence: I've got shelves full of bottles. Why not? It's non-fattening, low cholestrol, legal and doesn't give you cancer. 'Nuff said.

Other small pleasures

Post 20

Donna

Isn't making someone else smile one of the most pleasurable and rewarding things in life?

Key: Complain about this post