A Conversation for Swindon, Wiltshire, UK

A409015: Swindon, Wiltshire, UK

Post 1

Stark

I feel that this could be an important entry for the guide, as there is no mention of this town anywhere in the edited guide, and as such the 200,000 people who live there are unrepresented in this worthy tome. It may also serve to warn people away from the place...

Cheers
Stark

Post 2

Lisa the Freak // Poet by the Toga

It's a great article, methinks, written well.

What about a bit of history about the town? Something about them trains,... railways.. The Great Western Railway Works.. massive..

Plus, you've named the main attractions, but there's gotta be more than that. What about that ice skating rink thingummy.. I remember almost getting my fingers sliced off there.. (Ahhh..memories smiley - winkeye) And are there any festivals?

But great article. smiley - smiley

Lisa

Post 3

NexusSeven

I think you mean the Link Centre, Lisa...

Still, this entry had me grinning from ear to ear. It makes me nostalgic for the bad old days when going out for a night in Swindon was about the most exciting thing that happened. Country life, eh?

One small point... I thought that the Magic Roundabout was five individual smaller roundabouts, rather than seven. Mind you, I might be trying unconsciously to block out any memory of it, as I did my driving test round it. (now *that's* nasty!)

In fact, the only reason I ever go back to Swindon nowadays, besides to catch a train to London, is to watch football (yes, guilty as charged, a Robins fan).

Nex... smiley - smiley

Post 4

amdsweb

I'm sure I saw a whole article about the Swindon magic roundabout, but I can't find it.
Anyone know which one I mean?

- Adam

Post 5

Stark

Well, I've updated the article, included some stuff about the link centre and the festival, and corrected the number of roundabouts that make up the magic roundabout (duh) and wrote some more (about all I know) about the town's railway heritage. Now what do I have to do to get this entry in the edited guide?

Thanks for all the comments

Stark

Post 6

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I'm really only posting here to say that I grew up near Swindon too. That makes quite a high proportion of the Scout population. Very scary.

I don't know Swindon well any more having escaped (hoorah!) and I only go back to occasionally to do battle with the Magic Roundabout because... er, well you have to. Don't you?

My feeling about the article is that it strays from the factual towards the personal opinion just a tad too much at the moment.

smiley - bigeyes

Amy the (scout) Ant

Post 7

Crescent

Good Entry, shouldn't have any bother becoming part of the Edited Guide smiley - smiley Seemed to cover all the main things, and made me want to go and see this magic roundabout (hmmmm, maybe that should be a reason for it not to be included), but I enjoyed this Entry, and any Article which mentions Logans Run must be worth a look smiley - smiley Until later....
BCNU - Crescent

Post 8

Stark

Hmmmm... so, what now?

Post 9

amdsweb

Well,
Now we try and get the attention of a scout who hasn't filled his monthly quota of recommendations (unlike me, who has). There is usually one lurking about somewhere...

- Adam

Post 10

Stark

hello, any scouts out there?

Post 11

NexusSeven

D'oh! I've just made my picks for this month as well! Ahem... I'm sure that someone else will be along in a mo'...

Don't give up on us just yet! smiley - smiley

Post 12

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

It's been a long time, and Stark doesn't seem to be around any more smiley - sadface

Anybody willing to give this one a little polishing and go for another try?

Bossel (Scout)

Conversation Moved

Post 13

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This Conversation has been moved to the new 'Flea Market' Forum.

This is where we move any Peer Review, Writing Workshop or Alternative Writing Workshop Conversations where the original author has *not* posted to h2g2 for three months. This prevents the active Review Forums from clogging up with dormant entries, but in the Flea Market they can be picked up by others and polished off.

Thread Moved

Post 14

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'The Flea Market' to 'Swindon, Wiltshire, UK'. There's a new PR thread for this entry at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F48874?thread=152882

Key: Complain about this post