This is the Message Centre for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Building character at 7.45am

Post 121

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Here's the latest. When the plumbers started diffing the found a cable near the water leak. They had to call in an electrician to find out what it was and how dangerous. Turns out it's a phone line smiley - facepalm

Now we're waiting for the phone company to, it says here, move the line. No further dates for the work are given.

Post 122

*digging

Post 123

Sho - employed again!

it really is the never ending story!

Post 124

Baron Grim

Heh... I assumed "diffing" was just some British slang term for working I was unfamiliar with. smiley - laugh

Post 125

logicus tracticus philosophicus

well Baron it is....
diff/dɪf/
Learn to pronounce
verb
gerund or present participle: diffing
COMPUTING
compare (files) in order to determine how or whether they differ.
"you should be able to diff the two files, thereby speeding up this step considerably"
Definitions from Oxford Languages

Post 126

Baron Grim

smiley - laugh

Post 127

New email from the office last Thursday.

"On Tuesday, January 19th, we will have plumbers onsite to repair an underground leak that is located in the middle of the parking lot in between the fitness center and building 10.

As this leak is coming from a main plumbing line, the community water will be shut off starting around 9am. Water will be turned back on as soon as possible.

As the asphalt will be dug up for this project, a separate vendor will be completing the asphalt repair the following day, Wednesday 1/20."

This leak has been bubbling up for more than a year, and what's more it's a hot water leak, because when I walk past it on my way to walk at 6.30 on a chilly morning the water coming up is steaming. Thousands of gallons of hot water must have gone down the drain - literally and actually - in all that time, adding to all our water bills.

So they've managed to time it again on one of my days off smiley - cross It's not as bad as it could have been, I suppose, because although I do some cooking on Tuesday, Wednesday is my main cooking day. However, the weather forecast for tomorrow is... 60% chance of rain. I fully expect another email this week saying it's been postponed smiley - facepalm

Post 128

9.30am. The water's still on and I hear no pneumatic drills. This does not surprise me.

Post 129

12.30, I still have water, so I've put on a load of laundry. I predict the water will be shut off within 15 minutes.

Post 130

You can call me TC

....on tenterhooks....

Post 131

"Due to today's rain, which is expected to continue for the next few days, the parking lot repair originally scheduled for today has been rescheduled for next week. We will monitor the weather and choose a dry day to complete this work. We will send you another email towards the end of this week with further information regarding parking, water shut offs, etc."

Yesterday we recorded 0.35" of rain, most (0.29") of it between 11.51am and 12.51pm. The rest of the day there was either drizzle or no rain. And looking at the seven day forecast, the first day with no rain is likely to be... next Tuesday smiley - facepalm

Post 132

Latest update: There is no update. No email, nuthin'. And the weather this week? No rain until Saturday F50359?thread=349579&post=111159488#p111159393

In fact I've just come back from the shops and it's like the most pleasant of pleasant June days out there. Sunny, warm, and most of all, dry.

And the water continues to well up like a mountain spring.

Post 133

Baron Grim

smiley - facepalm

Post 134

"Tomorrow, January 28th, we will have plumbers onsite to repair an underground leak that is located in the middle of the parking lot between buildings 9 and 15."

And I shall be at work all day smiley - ok Almost the only circumstance in which you'll see me express pleasure about going to work.

Post 135

There is an hole! An hole has been dug. There is no more water rising from the ground! And I still have water in my taps!

*Faints* ::THUD:: © ®

Post 136

When I took a shower, not long after that previous post, I thought the hot water was appreciably hotter, by quite a bit.

The original plan was for the hole to be filled in the following day. We'll see.

Post 137

The hole is gone.

"It's not there now, the ground's all flat,
And beneath it is the bloke in the bowler hat.

And that's that".

Post 138

Bald Bloke

I'm going to be humming the Hole in the ground, all afternoon now.

Post 139

Unsurprisingly, a water pipe has burst in one of the buildings here. They can't turn off the water to just that building so the whole complex has no water smiley - facepalm Good thing I filled a couple of containers earlier. Hope it's enough. Plumbers are going to be in high demand for several days. No idea how long it'll take to fix, nor how many more there'll be. And there's more weather arriving tonight.

Post 140

Baron Grim

We had rolling blackouts last night, 30 minutes out an hour or so on. This morning I woke up to the water shut off across town. I also set aside some water last night but I didn't fill my tub to flush the toilet. My tub wouldn't hold the water anyway. I really ought to get a proper stopper for it. (Unintentional alliteration smiley - biggrin yay!)

Yesterday at work we had a bit of flooding in our building. Likely cause was a burst pipe, but I don't know if it was a water system pipe or a heating system pipe. I suspect the latter as it seemed to get colder that afternoon. Also, our network connections went out at about the same time. They were still out when I got here this morning, but a coworker actually knows some things about the infrastructure of this building and just rebooted the connection. Yay! smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more