A Conversation for Toasted Sandwiches

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 21

Merkin

Spiny, would the acronym RHBNC send an un-nerving chill down your spine?

P.S. I'm well aware that this has nothing to do with toasted sandwiches, but go with it, I'll work some form of brevilled condiment into it...

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 22

Kirky

I thought pot noodle was the students friend. Any way I love toasted sandwhiches and here is my favorite and messy recipe. Banna's and runny honey, it may take awhile for the clean up.(You could always get some one else to do this) It is pure devine and will cheer up any one, even sheep

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 23

Doktor B-Zitch

If you have a large buddy (which are a given in a frat house) SIT on your sandwich maker, you should be able to fit any solid substance into your tasty snack treat. Also try: water-cooler water-bottles; microwaves; large cats; even frozen turkeys!

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 24

The man in the shack

Place a stack of twelve slices of bread onto the machine, press firmly and toast....BINGO....your very own "Russian dolls" toastie!!!

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 25

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

Sorry Merkin: "Racked His Brains, No Clue" is the best I can do. Care to offer enlightenment?

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 26

Merkin

That's not bad, it was Royal Holloway, a college where I knew of an individual who went by the name Spiny Norman, a doppelganger perhaps? smiley - bigeyes

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 27

SPINY (aka Ship's Cook)

Ah no. Edinburgh University was my alma mater. But given that I was there '72-'77, I could probably claim to have nicked the nickname before your mate did, thus making me the original imposter.

doppleganger toastie

Post 28

Researcher 23

find one good size doppleganger, Beat it abundantly about the head, continue untill said doppleganger is dead
..... well i'm sure we are all smart enough to figure this one out !

season to taste. enjoy.

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 29

svr

The cheese and onion toasted sandwich is my all time favourite (I was a University student for 7 years, so I've been through a few toasted sarnies!) however a warning must be issued here:

The onion gets INCREDIBLY hot, the water in the onion must get close to boiling point!

There are many occassions when my desire to plunge my teeth into the culinary delight despite knowing the consequences have led to considerable buccal discomfort often lasting several days!

Stuart

Mmm, fatty goodness.

Post 30

Randolph Carter

A rather nice thing I tend to do is to chop up some mushrooms, and fry them in the machine whilst it's heating up, then stick them in the bits of bread with some cheese and ham or something. You get the plates all buttery and mushroomy and the bread goes all nice.
Unless you hate mushrooms of course, in which case the bread goes all horrible.

Another nice thing is bits of apple covered in brown sugar and cinamon. Of course, you have to be careful of the sugar. I swear they must make napalm in Breville machines.

And has anybody got one of them Breville pie makers? I simply must buy one. Imagine being able to make your own pies whenever you want, with whatever you want in them..

Bean toastie

Post 31

Mr Carnitine

One of those usually never purchased tiny cans of beans, cheese, brown sauce. Put the bread on the toastie maker, pour over the beans and grate the cheese over the top. Add the sauce and then crack and egg over each slice. Perfect. Although it must be said that th wranings about ketchup and spag also apply here.

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 32

Mimyal

The French, the people of the west most famous for their cooking, got names for one of the simplest toasted sandwich and its more luxurious friend. The Croque Monsieur is the staple food for bachelors (of what era?) and is simply a toasted sandwich with a filling of hard cheese, ham and tomato. It works fine for female bachelors as well for their male friends or the families they may found or... - I mean it is so simple!

The second toasted sandwich I know the French make is the Croque Madame and it is just the same as the above Monsieur but topped with a fried egg.

I have heard about variants with white sauce, but why make it difficult?

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 33

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

butter and bovril

enough said

smiley - smiley

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 34

Mr Carnitine

Not quite enough, a lot more could be said to a therapist, and never mind what a chef would ssay about Bovril in a sandwich!

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 35

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

I am a chef, official one to the Aroma Cafe, to the Forum and Firkin, to the Dragon Queen of Damorgan and even in my flat. And this chef says "yummy!"

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 36

Mr Carnitine

As I'm a personal friend of the guy who created the forum and firkin this does not fill me with confidence, I ask you bovril? Its an evil brew which should only be consumed by the over 60's. smiley - smiley

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 37

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

i was born after the 60s threfore I am over 60s.

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 38

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

I have to say that my personal favourite is corned beef. I was introduced to this one by my girlfriend a couple of weeks ago, and thought it was devine. However, without a sandwich toaster of my own, it's going to be difficult experimenting with it. Maybe some sort of carbohydrate - beans or potatoes (ready cooked) would go with the CB. Hey - how about a corned beef hash sandwich? Anyone tried/willing to try it?

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 39

Randolph Carter

How about just hash? That would be awesome.

Toasted Sandwiches

Post 40

E the mad therapist (..wanna TALK about it?!?)

Absolutely 'nuff said on that one.
Big up yourself!
Y.U.M.M.Y.!!!!

Ed

Key: Complain about this post