A Conversation for Toasted Sandwiches

Bread type

Post 1

parlau

I reckon you can only make a proper toasted sandwich using UK style white flubber bread, medium sliced.
Do not use continental bread as you will only be disappointed by the final result. This is due to the robust wholesomeness of the european product.

AG

Bread type

Post 2

Rojo Habe (48-1+2-7)

I couldn't agree less. The more bits the bread has in it the better. Granary is great, but has the potential to break your teeth.

Anyone tried cheese and peanut butter?

Bread type

Post 3

Patto Banter

Continental breads CAN be made into toasted sandwiches although they are often a more lavish affair than our relatively modest toastie. The Panini (q.v.) grill can be used to flatten either a panini loaf or a ciabatta to an approximate sandwich thickness.

Bread type

Post 4

parlau

Not tried that combo but enjoy cheddar with branston pickle or peanut butter with a slice of ryvita.

AG

Flubber Bread

Post 5

Dr. Destructo

Being from the United States, I am unfamiliar with this "Flubber Bread". I immagine that it is plain white sandwhich bread of the Webber variety. I prefer to prepare my toasted sandwhiches with wheat bread, and no butter or margerine. This really only works with a non-stick sandwhich maker. And even then, only for so long. A high quality non-stick model will get you by for a whole semester. That is my expireince. I enjoy a nice ham and cheder. It has a tangy, rich palet. The addition of mayonase is not highly recomended. Not only for its utter unheathyness, but also for it materail state at high temperatures. It tends to be much runnier, and also a bit hoter than the garden variety refigerated kind. That's about all I have to say about toasted sandwiches at the moment.

Bread type

Post 6

Gingeronimo

Depends on whether you want the bread to contribute to the taste.Plain white is excellent for sweet fillings and spicy savoury fillings but wholemeal or rye are nicer with simple meat and cheese combinations. Sandwich cut slices are a better fit than toaster cut slices.
Fortunately, my sandwich maker is very old and doesn't have the diagonal bit across the middle so I can do poached eggs on toast in one pass.
Happy munching.

Bread type

Post 7

Lochangel

I would advise against using the Australian bread containing seeds rich in "natural plant oestrogens" unless you are a lady of a certain age. As nice as it is - it would have appeared to most of my male friends I fed it to, into a hormonal maelstrom. Still they should be getting back to normal shortly, we hope.

Tuna, cheese and salt and vinegar crisps is quite good. As is chocolate spread and strawberries.

Toaster and cheese sandwich

Post 8

Prez HS (All seems relatively quiet here)

Recipe:
one toaster
one bread
one cheese
one car

take bread.
slice in two.
take cheese.
put on one slice bread.
take toaster.
put on cheese.
take other slice bread.
put on cheese.

take car.
drive bak and forth until flat.

... try this variation:

Washerdryer and cheese sandwich
little kid and cheese sandwich
black hole and cheese sandwich (not recommended)

Toaster and cheese sandwich

Post 9

DeepCblu

Who needs flat plates to cook eggs on a sandwich toaster?...just break them onto the bread and get the toaster shut pdq!!

Tomatoes should come with a government health warning after being put in a toaster....especially if eating the sandwich after consuming large amounts of alcohol. the best filling is bacon and HP sauce in my opinion....or cheese and Tomato ketchup...MMmmm..I feel a dose of the munchies coming on......

Eclipse sandwich

Post 10

And Now Folks, For All You Eclipe Freaxx, the Eclipse Sandwich
It sets all other sncks in the shadow!

Recipe

two bread
one sun
one moon
one cheese

take one bread
put sun on bread
put moon on sun
take other bread
put on moon

take Barbequor, Eater of Planets
ask kindly to squash sandwich to bite size.

Bread type

Post 11

Researcher 47158

Does anyone know what 'flour improver' is? If I eat bread that contains this, I get heartburn that lasts for hours. What other additives do they put in bread to 'improve' it?

Toasted sandwiches

Post 12

Researcher 47158

Oh, I forgot, at school we went through a phase of jam and Marmite sandwiches but these were of the untoasted variety. Probably not advisable due to the heat the jam would reach. But the sandwich tastes better than you might expect.

Bread type

Post 13

parlau

is it not added calcium that I seem to remember is required by law in UK bread?

AG

Flubber Bread

Post 14

parlau

Come to Britain to enjoy "Mothers Pride" the queen of breads. In my opinion the wrapper tastes better until the bread is toasted.

AG

Bread type

Post 15

It's not calcium they add, it's kalium. BOOM! Look mom, no teeththtth.

Bread type

Post 16

parlau

I thought it was something...ium. I got the wrong one!

AG

Bread type

Post 17

Dale Winton

In my opinion (as a cheese connoseur) the only bread for Toasted Cheese Sandwiches is Tesco's Value White Thick Sliced.

Bread type

Post 18

parlau

You may be right in these modern times but I remember how wonderful co-op white sliced was many moons ago. We used to call it flubber as kids.

AG

Bread type

Post 19

Fade

I don't know about bread types but this has to be the greatest toastie of all timesmiley - smiley

Jam filling
Sugar coating.

"How does the sugar stick to the bread" I hear you ask. Well first butter the outside of the bread e.g. the suface that will come into contact with the toaster, then sprinkle the sugar on them, insert, cook, eat.

Health warning, don't have the heat up to high or the person that owns the toaster will probably kill you when it bursts into flames, Oh and leave a bit of time to cool before you eat it otherwise the same may happen to your mouth

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Key: Complain about this post