A Conversation for Old English Money

Other names

Post 1

LL Waz

Excellent. A shilling was also called bob - I'd love to know why - probably cockney rhyming slang. And the 10s. note was a ten bob note.

The notation was quite nifty, 1/- being a shilling, 1/6 one and six, or should there be a d. in there?

I also remember kids collecting "bun pennies", in Glasgow in the 60's, which were pennies with a certain picture of Queen Vic. which was dominated by the bun. I can't remember why they were collected tho' but they were prized possessions, they didn't get spent on gobstoppers.
New money is dull.

Other names

Post 2

Wand'rin star

When I've worked out the Guide ML stuff (what a wimp) there'll be subheadings viz" quid or knicker". "bob" "Tickeys and tanners"
and something about ponies and monkeys as soon as someone tells me which is which. I agree about the notation (footnote forthcoming, except I don't have a key on this board for a pound sign) Thanx,smiley - smiley

Other names

Post 3

Munchkin

Wasn't there a Wooden Thrupenny bit? And what was different about it to a normal Thruppenny bit?

Other names

Post 4

Wand'rin star

"Only in the phrase "He's as much use as a wooden thrupenny bit"

Other names

Post 5

BuskingBob

Hi - don't worry about Guide ML - the subs will do that!

Enjoyable article - I will try and think of additions for you.

Other names

Post 6

jqr

This is a really interesting and useful article. Thank you so much for contributing it.

Other names

Post 7

BuskingBob

I vaguely remember "spratzy" for a sixpence. Some of the pennies we used to call "Honolulu" pennies - this was childish rudeness; the position of the trident made it look phallic, and we used to say that her hand was "on 'er lulu" !!!

The half-crown was also called half-a-dollar in some areas.

Other names

Post 8

Wand'rin star

LOL (Do you think it had anything to do with the old music hall song "Keep your hand on your ha'penny"?

Yes, it used to be half a dollar in the East end, presumably from the days when you could get four dollars to the pound, which I'm not old enough to remember though, as I've said elsewhere, I can remember a US penny being the same value as a UK one.

Other names

Post 9

LL Waz

How far back are you going? I have groats, a silver coin 1351 to 1662 = 4 pennies (from the dictionary)

Other names

Post 10

jqr

Why are they called groats? I thought groats were an agricultural product, some kind of buckwheat. smiley - smiley

Other names

Post 11

Wand'rin star

I've mentioned groats as being worth fourpence. I don't know why any coin got its name - except the farthing and halfpenny and I certainly don't know why they have the slang names I referred to. Does anyone else accept "haf a bar" as ten bob?

Other names

Post 12

LL Waz

I'm not familiar with that name for ten bob. (BTW had to explain to my brother the first time he heard this term that the plural of bob is still bob, its not ten bobs!)
My dictionary suggests groat is from "groot" for "great" as in great thick penny.

Other names

Post 13

BuskingBob

Haven't heard "half-a-bar" for years! Or "half-a-nicker", which was another word for 10 bob. (obviously, a nicker/knicker was a quid)

Oddly, I never heard anyone actually use "nicker" for a full pound - it was always "arfurnicker"

Other names

Post 14

Cheerful Dragon

I have also read that 'bender' was once a word for a sixpenny piece. The phrase "going on a bender" is slang for going out and getting seriously drunk (as opposed to tipsy or merry). It derives from the days when you used to be able to get drunk for six old pence.

Great article!

Other names

Post 15

jqr

I do recall that when I lived in Ghana, West Africa, there were inner-city bars where you could go and drink homebrew and get drunk for only about 25 US cents, or maybe 15 new pence. That's not that far off from 6 old p, is it? smiley - smiley

Other names

Post 16

Wand'rin star

15 new p + (technically) 3 old shillings = 36 old d, but given world inflation since 1971, I'd say you're about right

Other names

Post 17

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

Before the duodecagonal 'thruppeny bit', there was a silver threepence.
Just thought you'd like to know!!
'G'

Other names

Post 18

Wand'rin star

Thanx. I thought it was in there somewhere, but I wasn't able to recast it when I said I would Soon I promise

Other names

Post 19

Dan

Very nice article. You can get a pound sterling sign into your entry by typing either £ or £

For some reason that doesn't work in forum entries (presumably HTML is blocked) but that's good because otherwise it would be difficult to explain. It does work in GuideML though. Hope that helps.

Oh and you might find the following characters of some use too:

¼ or ¼ = one quarter
½ or ½ = one half
¾ or ¾ = three quarters
£ or £ = pound sterling sign (just to reiterate!)

-Dan-

Other names

Post 20

Gandalf ( Got my own Comp Now!! Still Redundant!! )

I can remember the 2/6d coin being referred to as 'half a dollar'

'G'

Key: Complain about this post