A Conversation for The Moon Under Water, Charing Cross Road, London, UK

Marquee Club

Post 1

Phil

At one point (before it was a pub) the building was home to the Marquee Club.

Marquee Club

Post 2

Munchkin

I have been in this pub and, even more impressive, I remember being there! smiley - winkeye It seemed a bit big and souless for my liking, but the beer was cheap (for London) so I can't complain.

Marquee Club

Post 3

Phil

It's a wetherspoons pub so the beer will be cheap.
As you say it's not quite a local is it.

Marquee Club

Post 4

Drool Frood the Second

ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!I can't believe that they've turned the beloved Marquee Club into a Wetherspoons!!
Is there a venue for the Marquee club now or has it just paled into
insignifcance?

Marquee Club

Post 5

Harry

Ah, but that was just a pale imitation of the old Marquee, in Wardour Street.

*Suddenly the picture goes all wavy as he starts to reminisce...*

*BANG*

"Snap out of it Harrison, remember, nostalgia is a disease!"

Still, I had some good times there...

Marquee Club

Post 6

Drool Frood the Second

I think I may be thinking of the one in Wardour Street.
I remember seeing The Q tips there a long while ago.
It was areally scruffy joint-but wow did you hear some great music!
You know I'm really beginning to feel old!All my old haunts are disappearing.

Marquee Club

Post 7

Harry

I think it must have been the Wardour street one if you saw the Q-Tips there. It's a restaurant now, Mezzo I think. I always used to start off at the Intrepid Fox down the road; that's still there, and still retains some of its old "charm". After the Marquee closed up for the night we sometimes used to go over to the St. Moritz, which was just across the road. I don't know how I had the energy smiley - smiley...

Marquee Club

Post 8

Researcher 128417

Rumour has it that the Fox is about to close down and turn into another wine bar (as if we needed one)...

The last night is allegedly either 8th or 15th Sept 2000

Marquee Club

Post 9

Harry

So it looks like a night out in Wardour Street will become a couple of glasses of cabernet at a wine bar, a rather well-presented meal at Mezzo and an early night. Oh dear.

Marquee Club

Post 10

Researcher 128417

Fine if you like that kind of thing (and I do).

It's just that I'm a friend of a regular at the Fox and was sorry to see a grown man almost cry when he heard that it was allegedly shutting !

Marquee Club

Post 11

Harry

Now that I've got a few more years behind me I'm not totally averse to that sort of thing, either. I do have a certain nostalgia for places like the Fox, though - I had some happy times there. I suppose that now there's a whole new generation of places that people will lament the loss of in twenty years time.

Marquee Club

Post 12

Number Six

One of my first gigs was at the Marquee Club - I saw the Mighty Lemon Drops there on my 16th birthday... which must have been in 1990, come to think of it.

I must admit, I was gutted to hear the Marquee had closed and been converted into a pub, and I haven't visited it on principle...

smiley - mod

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more