A Conversation for Jodrell Bank, Cheshire, England, UK

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 1

Phil

The Jodrell Bank Observatory (which has more than just the Lovell Telescope) is run by Manchester University Department of Physics and Astronomy. The telescopes there can be used independently or as part of the UK wide MERLIN radio telescope network. The telescopes are also used as part of the European Very Long Baseline Interferometry Networn (EVN) along with radio telescopes in Italy, Germany, Sweeden and Switzerland (and at times with others in South Africa and the US).

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 2

I seem to recall it's also a pretty neat place to visit... I can't recall any details, though, 'cause I haven't been there since I was fairly young.

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 3

Phil

It is a pertty neat place to visit as you say (and yes I was just a young lad at the time). If I remember rightly there was a small telescope that you could control from the visitor centre and see what it picked up.
There is also an Arboretum on the site as well.

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 4

$u$

Hmmm... sounds like a good spot for an h2g2 get together as well.smiley - winkeye Nice central(?) location I believe.

Great article DD.smiley - smiley

~A~

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 5

The Cow

Do it... I'm not far away... 'cos I can't get down to London.

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 6

$u$

I'm certainly up for that.smiley - smiley I nearly went to Chester this weekend (unintentionallysmiley - winkeye), so I guess it must be somewhere in that vicinity.

Do you feel like organising it, or perhaps getting some details like when it's open, cost, local facilities, etc?

You can e-mail me on [email protected]

~A~

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 7

Yeah, I might actually make it to that one...

I'd have to bring my parents, though, probably, 'cause I can't drive yet smiley - smiley

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 8

$u$

They can always wait in the car, like they're supposed to.smiley - winkeye

This sounds like it might be worth sorting then. Anyone got any date(s) in mind? *me... I've just got fluff - not a dried fruit in sight!smiley - winkeye*

~A~

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 9

The Cow

If you live anywhere near the south of chester, then 'Parent Cabs' might be an idea.

I'll look into it provisionally...

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 10

Demon Drawer

Hey guys if we'd suggested this two years ago I'd have had less problems but my bro moved from Chester to Cambridge. Stoopid boy!!!

Glad you like the article though

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 11

$u$

Look which forum just popped up on my page again.smiley - smiley

Two years ago... we'd have to send h2g2 back in a timewarp first wouldn't we?

Hey... then we could sue for breach of copyright.smiley - winkeye

St.~A~

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 12

Conan the Librarian

Bad news everyone.

There is a strong suggestion in the local papers (I live pretty close to Jodrell Bank) that it will be closing soon due to lack of funding.

For those of us who live with it on the sky-line and indulge in the "I wonder where the dish is facing now" game just before we see it, it will be a shame.

PS. I did not say it was an interesting game. Just a game.

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 13

$u$

This is terrible.smiley - sadface

Is it open all year round at present? *consults diary for the next available timeslot to visit*

This is going to have to go to the top of my 'to do' list. So is anyone else still interested in going, h2g2 style?

~A~

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 14

The Cow

Yeah..

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 15

Conan the Librarian

Well, nice to see people interested in coming up here. The following details are from their current publicity leaflet:

"Details of opening times:
November to March (Tuesdays to Saturdays)11 to 4.30pm
March to last weekend in October (every day) 10.30 to 5.30pm

Admission charges:
£4.60 adults and £2.30 children (under 5s free but no admission to Planetarium)
Senior citizens £3.30 and family ticket £13.50.

For a full visit, you will need approx 2 and a half hours.

Address: Jodrell Bank Science Centre and Arboretum, Macclesfield, Cheshire, SK11 9DL
Telephone 01477 571339 Fax 01477 571695"

If you do go, the planetarium is as good as the London Planetarium and has the bonus of a mad ex-librarian (not me) doing a very humorous introduction. You can vote as an audience to travel to particular planets in the solar system. Planetarium shows are every 45 minutes and are included in price of ticket.

I went first with a teacher and was shown around by their education officer and secondly with a group of Junior kids who gave every impression of loving it.

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 16

Tashalls, Muse of Flights of Fancy (Losing Weight at A858170)

Hi Conan,

Looks like you have started to find your way around h2g2 fairly well. One thing, you might like to activate your home space so people can post messages and whatnot... I would like to welcome you formally and give you a few more links to pursue while you are getting familiarised, etc.

BCNU
Tashalls

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 17

The Cow

Have to go sometime...

Jodrell Bank Observatory

Post 18

$u$

...soon...

Key: Complain about this post