This is the Message Centre for dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Help me choose a dog

Post 21

Cheerful Dragon

Bitches are generally reckoned to be more docile and easier to manage, but with a male you don't have to make the choice, 'Do I keep her locked up when she's on heat, or should I have her neutered?' The responsible choice would be to get any dog, male or female, neutered. However, my mother-in-law has always had male dogs (except for one), and she has always refused to have them neutered because it changes their character. We also have a male dog, and he hasn't been neutered. We might change our minds if Rufus (our terrier) was aggressive or obviously over-sexed (show me a terrier that isn't!smiley - winkeye), but the greatest danger to an intruder would be being licked to death, and Rufus hasn't tried to rape our legs yet.smiley - bigeyes

Personally, I'd go for a male and see how he turns out!

Help me choose a dog

Post 22

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

For me, well-tempered is more important than being easier to manage. I don't mind an energetic dog as long as he or she does not bite anyone.

Cheerful, I read somewhere that lion-clipping originally had a purpose. Poodles were hunting dogs, but all the hair got in the way so they were trimmed. In winter, extra hair was left around the joints and other delicate parts of the body to keep the dog warm. I don't know what the ribbons and bows were for.

I still won't do it, but does that rescue the lion-clipped poodle in your esteem?

Help me choose a dog

Post 23

Cheerful Dragon

Lion-clipped poodles themselves have never been low in my esteem. It's owners who do things to their dogs that change the way the dog would otherwise look. I've never heard of any purpose to lion-clipping, but then I've never heard of any purpose to poodles. Whatever the purpose was, it's disappeared in the mists of time. I just think lion-clipping looks silly, and I much prefer a 'normal' looking poodle of any size.

Help me choose a dog

Post 24

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

I was looking at pictures of Portugese Water Dogs earlier, and they get lion-clipped too, but for some reason it looks better on them (although still silly). It also does make them look more like a lion, so the name makes more sense to me know.

Back to packing.

Help me choose a dog

Post 25

Lizard Prince- A437203 Owner, Muse, H2G2GAs, Prince of Lizards, Carrier of Black Towels

How about a small furry one that you can punt?!?!?!?!?!

Help me choose a dog

Post 26

Tide: Lover of snack foods &small animals

dear elephant

i just wnted to tell you i like dogs and i dont really punt them at all i just think its funny . but to the subject i think you should get a smaller dog because they dont make a big mess and they are easier to care of. A breed i think is good would be a pug or a pomerranian. thank you..

Help me choose a dog

Post 27

Lizard Prince- A437203 Owner, Muse, H2G2GAs, Prince of Lizards, Carrier of Black Towels

Saint Punting doesn't really punt them.... I DO!!!! He sits in a lawn chair, drinking a margarita, eating some tippsie cake, watching me launch chihuahuas!!! HAHA!!!! I am the Lizard Prince!!! I can do anything!!!! WEEEEEEEHHHHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

*flips out, and flies away*

Help me choose a dog

Post 28

The CRUELTY! The INHUMANITY! The BRUTALITY! The, um, INCONSIDERATION! The, um, the... the... OTHER THING!

So there.

Help me choose a dog

Post 29

Pitzel

Being a member of a dog loving family myself, I have become quite fond of English Springer Spaniels. Ours is extremely intelligent and quite adorable. If springers don't quite meet your size requirement, I would also recommend Australian shepards. Very clever, intelligent dogs and awfully loyal.
Just make sure that whatever breed you choose, you don't get a neurotic one. We have one dog who throws tantrums and destroys the house everytime there is a thunder shower. Putting her on tranquilizers everytime there's a chance of thunder has sadly become the routine.

Help me choose a dog

Post 30

If only there was some sort of test. I've known a few people with dogs that were afraid of thunder, and sedatives or Prozac was their only recourse. In once case at least, the sedatives did not stop the dog from tearing apart the house; he just did it slower.

I'll check out the Australian Shepherd in a bit. Right now I have to get to work, I'm already on the path to being late.

Zeppo

Post 31

Thanks, everybody for your suggestions and advice.

Last Saturday I got a pure-bred Labrador Retriever, a yellow male, and just today named him Zeppo. He is now 9 weeks old, and sleeping at my feet.

I almost went with the Portuguese Water Dog, but they are still hard to find and expensive. I also really liked the Bernese Mountain Dog, but ultimately the choice came down to chance - I saw an advertisement for Lab puppies, and the woman breeding them turned out to be a friend of my sister's. I love coincidences like these. The puppies were also born on the day of my last post in this forum.

I'll have pictures on my h2g2 page soon.

Zeppo says "hello" smiley - winkeye

Zeppo

Post 32

Shorn Canary ~^~^~ sign the petition to save the albatrosses

Oooh, ooh, let me be the first (at h2g2 at least) to congratulate you on getting your new bundle of joy. I wish you many many happy years of mutual loyalty and affection. Long live Zeppo the pup! smiley - smiley

Zeppo

Post 33

Thank you!

Now I'm off to clean his crate (I think he has this house-training thing backwards) and give him lunch.

Zeppo

Post 34

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

Herrrmmmm... too late to suggest that you get a cat or a fish, isn't it!?? smiley - tongueout

(enjoy the pup(s)!!!)

Zeppo

Post 35

Cheerful Dragon

Congratulations. Labradors are lovely dogs. At least, the ones I've known (all two of them) have had nice personalities. They're easy to train, too.

Have fun with Zeppo, and give him a hug from me!smiley - bigeyes

Zeppo

Post 36

Salamander the Mugwump

I'm full of envy. How really lovely for you. Labradors are lovely - almost as lovely as my dogs. Alright, just as lovely as my dogs! smiley - winkeye

Zeppo

Post 37

coelacanth

*A big hug to Zeppo*
Until 6 weeks ago, I really did not like dogs. Then I went into temporary lodgings with a family and their labrador puppy. She was just SO pleased and excited to see me every day!
You just don't get that kind of enthusiasm from a cat, and I've had mine 16 years.
smiley - fish

Zeppo

Post 38

Kasia, P.S. of Syncopation,Muse of Classic Goo Fans, Keeper of Rainbows, Zaphodista (visit Crossed Purposes Pub: A429310)

Hey, so finally you got a pet! That's great! And Retrivers are so nice and they love children, did you know this? Hi Lady C! nice to see you around. Want you all come over to my Halloween party at Crossed Purposes? I know, it's a little bit early, but we already start to celebrate :-) Go to: http://www.h2g2.com/F52920?thread=84645&post=681736 See you there!

Zeppo

Post 39

Witty Moniker

Congrats, d'Elephant! I can't wait to see the pix.

Somt things just come down to fate, don't they? smiley - smiley

Zeppo

Post 40

Witty Moniker

*clicks on d'Elaphant's home page... slaps self on forehead*

He is soooo cute!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more