A Conversation for Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad

Peer Review: A88013081 - Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad

Post 1

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Entry: Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad - A88013081
Author: Dmitri Gheorgheni - Not Banned in China - U1590784

Yesterday, I was sitting in my car doing chauffeur duty and reading the latest issue of the 'New Yorker'. It had a wonderful article about Frances Seward, a brilliant woman, and her Abolitionist activities. While her husband was off politicking in Albany or Washington (he later became Secretary of State), she was hiding fugitive slaves in her basement.

I found out she was friends with Harriet Tubman. THEN I came home and couldn't find a guide entry on Harriet Tubman. 'This has to be fixed,' I thought. So I read a book and some articles, and tried to watch a miniseries, which just made me mad. (1978 was not a good documentary year. I haven't worked up the courage to watch the new film.)

So here's the best I could do. I think this woman was a saint and a hero. I tried not to gush too much.

Let me know if you have any suggestions on making it clearer or telling her story better. When they start using the $20 bills with her picture on them, I want people to know who she was.

smiley - dragon

A88013081 - Harriet Tubman: Conductor on the Underground Railroad

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

Thank you for writing this excellent Entry to fill an important space in the Guide.

I thought it read clearly, but there are perhaps one or two sentences that could be improved.

"Owning her own property, thanks to a recently- (and finally-)passed New York state law called the Married Women’s Property Act," - does 'finally' mean something along the lines of 'it took long enough, but finally it got there'?

There is a bit of repetition of 'Sarah Bradford wrote two books' so I don't know if that can be smoothed out a bit.

Well done - thank you.

Post 3

Oh, thanks. I'll work on those. smiley - smiley

Yes, it was a long, hard fight to fix the property issue!

Post 4

I hope it reads better now. smiley - smiley

Post 5

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Wow. Thank you for teaching me about this lady. She was blessed, indeed. smiley - rose

Post 6

Thanks, GB. smiley - smiley

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Recommended for the Edited Guide!

Post 7

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 8

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations!

Post 9

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - applause

Key: Complain about this post