A Conversation for Lovecraft - Time, Duality and Identity Crisis

A87920832 - Lovecraft - Time, Duality and Identity Crisis

Post 21

Tavaron da Quirm - Arts Editor

Not only that but I sometimes discover that what I think is common knowledge is not so common at all. Then I start reading again to be able to properly explain what I mean.

Post 22

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Good observations, Tav and Bob! smiley - smiley That's what the Guide is about - pooling what we know, or can learn, in a way that makes it accessible.

Post 23

Bluebottle

Page Turner:
Entry: Lovecraft - Time, Duality and Identity Crisis - A87920832
Author: Paigetheoracle - U15002949

Are you still around on h2g2?

With this entry, would you be able to write an introduction to help readers who have never heard of HP Lovecraft know who he was. Just something to cover that he was an author famed for his horror/creepy science fiction work, when he lived and where, that sort of thing. A little bit of background information.

It also potentially seems unfair that the very first thing you tell us about him was that he was racist. He isn't famous and still influential today firstly because he was racist but because of his writing. And for well and truly crossing the genius/madness line. Yes, he was racist (fear, distrust or hatred accompanying difference of race) but was this a small part of his overall xenophobia (fear, distrust or hatred of that perceived to be different or strange)? I was under the impression that he lived an extremely isolated life and pretty much did his best to avoid all social contact with everyone, regardless of their race.

<BB<

Post 24

The author is currently out of town. smiley - smiley He'll be back.

Post 25

SashaQ - happysad

We have an Entry about HP Lovecraft A258040 but not one about Edgar Allen Poe...

Post 26

That should be remedied. smiley - ok Going to work on it.

Post 27

'The Unusual Life and Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe' A87935179

He only lived for 40 years, so I kept it down to 1300 words. smiley - tongueincheek

Post 28

SashaQ - happysad

Excellent, thank you! smiley - ok

Post 29

Bluebottle

To what extent is Paigetheoracle still around on h2g2?
The last post to a conversation was in November, yet I see A87936844 was in this week's smiley - thepost <./>thepost</.>.

Paigetheoracle - are you still actively engaged in writing this entry? And your other entries? Only you've not responded to anything this year?

<BB<

Post 30

I will ping him.

Post 31

He's having problems posting - I've made suggestions. smiley - winkeye

Post 32

Paigetheoracle

It was Dmitri that made me aware of this and an article in Fortean Times. I loved the fantasy element of his stories, especially his landscapes.

Post 33

Paigetheoracle

I am not dead, just feel like it. Distracted by my publisher wanting me to write another of my language books, then a series of personal disasters on my wife's side of the family and then mine (still ongoing) but it didn't stop me sending in pre-written stories and artwork to the post. Currently we are in the middle of moving home (see this month's challenge for more details)

Key: Complain about this post