A Conversation for Cricket - How To Shell A Catch

Peer Review: A45714422 - Cricket - How To Shell A Catch

Post 1

Skankyrich [?]

Entry: Cricket - How To Shell A Catch - A45714422
Author: Skankyrich [?] - midwinter gardener - U931109

I wouldn't ask the competitors to do anything I wouldn't try myself. So here's my Shell, in response to the Stretcher challenge at A45546744smiley - smiley

A45714422 - Cricket - How To Shell A Catch

Post 2

Mu Beta

Excellent - and kudos for swinging things round from could have been a boring 'How To Take A Catch' Entry.

Is this to be first in a series of 'Sporting Errors', including 'How To Blast a Penalty Wide', 'How To Collapse A Scrum' and 'How To Bounce a Dart Off The Nail Above The Dartboard and Into the Pint of the Irate Navvy at the Bar'?

B

Post 3

Mu Beta

...and indeed 'How To Make A Total T**t of Yourself in Front of the World's Media and get Sacked from the most Prestigious Job in England Cricket'?

B

Post 4

Skankyrich [?]

smiley - laugh I think the latter has been done fairly well already, B.

Post 5

Secretly Not Here Any More

Where do you find the time Rich?

Post 6

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

smiley - runto smiley - biro

Ms GB

Post 7

Magwitch - My name is Mags and I am funky.

Superb, Rich smiley - smiley

I never knew a place like this could give me an education smiley - winkeye

Post 8

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

(smiley - laugh)

Post 9

Secretly Not Here Any More

Re-reading this, it appears that I knew how to do this already. No learning for me here.

Post 10

Cyzaki

As an expert in this technique I can add that any (however minor and half-imaginary they may be) 'disabilities' you may have can be used to full effect if you're accused of dropping the catch on purpose. Things like 'but you know I can only see out of one eye' or 'my gammy leg was playing up so I couldn't get into position quick enough' can work wonders smiley - biggrin They might make you less likely to be picked for the team in the future, mind you.

smiley - panda

Post 11

me[Andy]g

I like it. Reminds me of Michael Hussey's recent attempt at a catch in a recent test against South Africa (type "Hussey catch" into well-known video sharing site before Cricket Australia get to it...)

smiley - oksmiley - smiley

Post 12

Skankyrich [?]

Thanks folks smiley - smiley

Read the Editorial in smiley - thepost, Psyc, and you'll find I actually don't have time smiley - winkeye

Post 13

McKay The Disorganised

You could mention the walk backwards and fall over technique that I've seen used to great effect.

This line ~ Once there, they'll stand in a solid triangular position ~ not all of us are hung like that Rich !

smiley - cider

Post 14

Danny B

Nice work, Rich - I had no idea that the technique I honed so carefully over years of PE lessons actually had a name... My personal favourite was the 'let the ball pass clean through your hands and hit you on the forehead' technique smiley - injured

Another tip for shelling a catch (at least in my experience) is to think too much about catching it. If the ball is skied by the batsman, standing in the outfield thinking "oh my god, the ball's coming to me; I can't catch, what am I going to do; everyone's watching me - this is going to be so embarrassing; everyone will blame me when we lose; I've got to catc..." is guaranteed to ensure the thing ends up on the ground. This is why I inevitably ended up as the scorer...

Post 15

Elentari

Nice one. No suggestions from me.

Post 16

frenchbean

You've been coaching the Windies, I take it? smiley - tongueincheek

Great entry, Skanks smiley - ok

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 17

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Post 18

Danny B

smiley - applause

Post 19

Elentari

Congratulations!

Post 20

Opticalillusion- media mynx life would be boring without hiccups

break out the smiley - bubbly

Key: Complain about this post