A Conversation for UPDATE - Allotments

Peer Review: A27497965 - UPDATE - Allotments

Post 1

Mina

Entry: UPDATE - Allotments - A27497965
Author: Eco Worrier - U290

An update of A241949, hopefully I've added enough info. I've never had one myself, so if I've missed anything out, please let me know.

A27497965 - UPDATE - Allotments

Post 2

Vip

Hmm. I'm going to have a think, but first off, I'd not say that they're in terminal decline- the waiting lists for allotments are currently years long in some places (I've been waiting 18 months so far with at least another year expected smiley - groan). I know you mention this later in the article but I'd stick it in right from the beginning. Perhaps they fell into a terminal decline that is now reversing?

I agree with the main bulk of the article, but it doesn't seem to end quite right. The two short paragraphs before the 'A Note Of Warning' seem to end the article quite well- perhaps swap them around?

Just my smiley - 2cents.

smiley - fairy

Post 3

h5ringer

I think what fell into decline was not the use of allotments, but new demand for them. People that already had them continued (in most cases) to use them, but in the last few years, the demand for allotments has risen sharply. This may be in part due to the miniscule size of modern garden plots, and in part a reaction to supermarket uniformity and blandness - the same reaction that has fanned the flames of demand for so-called *organic* produce.

On the subject of produce, in the first paragraph the phrase sees a bit awkward. Something like scans better.

Good update smiley - towel

Post 4

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Cleethorpes' allotment is huge, I mean there's Cleethorpes' observatory slap bang in the middle and you wouldn't know, standing at the entrance. It's also unlit, which is great for night viewing through the grand 'scope. Just don't wander off the path when you leavesmiley - biggrin

Last I heard there was a two-year waiting list, people never give them up but there's a local joke about "moving to a larger plot" because Cleethorpes' cemetery is right next door, and that's the only way you're gonna get an allotment, when a previous tenant diessmiley - peacedove

Post 5

Mina

I've changed the paragraphs around, although I liked the warning note at the end, and that sentence which did need clearing up! I've also tweaked the bit about 'terminal decline'.

Post 6

Mina

Any other comments on this?

Post 7

Rudest Elf

I think we might have a problem: http://www.cheshamallotments.moonbells.com/Growerarchive/The_Grower_12.pdf

smiley - reindeer

Post 8

Mina

Oh bugger. smiley - blue

Post 9

Mina

I've alerted the Eds, if there is a case of copyright I don't think I've got enough new info for this entry to stand without the old text.

Post 10

Rudest Elf

Sorry. I wasn't looking for trouble (for a change) just searching for a source for the quote.

Post 11

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

smiley - erm Looking at the date on the pdf file it says 2004. The last posting from the original author, Vladimir was back in 2000. Would this not suggest that they nicked it from us, not the other way around?

Post 12

Mina

It is possible that it was ours first, or that the author is the same chap, which is why I've asked the lovely Eds to have a look into it for us.

Post 13

Mina

The Eds say carry on as normal, if the worst happens, it may be possible to save the subject. I think there are a couple of Reseachers on h2g2 with an allotment, it might be possible to nag them into giving us a paragraph or too. I've already nicked a tiny bit from something one of them said to me once. smiley - whistle

Post 14

Rudest Elf

That's good news.

"it might be possible to nag them into giving us a paragraph or too."
Should I leave the typos for a while then?

smiley - reindeer

Post 15

Mina

No, I can do them as we go. I think my keyboard is on the way out, as I keep noticing missing letters. Also someone keeps moving it slightly, which makes me hit the wrong keys. smiley - blush

Post 16

Rudest Elf

I'll have a look at it later. Right now, I'm off to stretch my legs... smiley - winkeye

Post 17

Rudest Elf

Intro 2nd line: [lopsided]

Intro 3rd line: [provided]

Myths about Allotments 2nd para: The paragraph is in the form of a quotation; does it matter that we don't show the source?

Where to get your Allotment end 2nd para: [particularly]

Where to get your Allotment 1st dot: (allotment users)?

Where to get your Allotment 1st para after dots 3rd line:
[Allotments, however, provide more]

Where to get your Allotment 1st para after dots 3rd line: (They are host to a living community)?

Last Words Last line: The same link as in 'Where to get your Allotment' last line. The linked Entry is all of three paragraphs long - someone offered to update it back in 2005. Do you think this would be more suitable: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A893423 'Ordering Concrete'?

smiley - reindeer

Post 18

RadoxTheGreen - Retired

That's out of date too, the construction industry doesn't go by British Standards for concrete specs anymore, just International. smiley - sadface

Post 19

benjaminpmoore

How's this one coming along?

Post 20

Mina

smiley - blush I'd forgotten I had corrections to do. I'll do them tomorrow. Sorry!

Key: Complain about this post