A Conversation for h2g2 Feedback - Feature Suggestions

External Links

Post 1

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here.
First of all I need to say I use Firefox and usually on other sites if I click on an external link it opens up a new tab within FF.However with h2g2 this has never been the case.Still is the case now we have moved.

What I was wondering is why this is so and if there was any way to set it so external links open in another tab or window?

smiley - tea

External Links

Post 2

Deep Doo Doo

Agreed, mightily annoying - especially if you want to reply to the thread that the link is posted in.

I think it's always been this way.

I've now got into the habit of 'right-clicking' links in h2g2 and selecting 'new-tab' - it's a workaround that works for me, but it's not perfect or ideal.

Perhaps when the tech-team have more time available, then issues like this can be looked at. smiley - ok

External Links

Post 3

Pastey

We will be changing this, but it's likely to be in Barlesque or the rebuild i'm afraid smiley - smiley

External Links

Post 4

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

By nature, I right-click on most links and ask it to open the what-ever in a new tab ...

External Links

Post 5

Ottox

No matter how many websites opens external links in new windows, it's still bad practice. It's so much easier for a user to open in new tab themselves than it is for a user to open in the same tab if the code says otherwise.

And it really is very easy, but I'm always surprised that most(?) people don't know that you don't have to right-click etc. in (most?) modern browsers.
Just hold the ctrl-key (cmd on Mac) while clicking (or middle click on a multi button mouse), and the link opens in a new tab. Whether focus should change to the new tab or not can be set in the browser settings.

External Links

Post 6

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

I would still like the option thank you..

External Links

Post 7

Icy North

Or you can click the mouse wheel to open the link in a new tab.

Someone posted this last week (TRiG, I think)

External Links

Post 8

Yes I could but I see nothing wrong in having this facility available at hootoo.

Strange how one gets lectured about the various longhand ways of doing things as if one is being awkward or is too dim to know those longhand methods.smiley - erm

External Links

Post 9

Icy North

I agree you might need a long hand to stretch as far as the mouse wheel. smiley - winkeye

External Links

Post 10

I'm thinking about reducing the amount of clicks and taps and use for special mice..as I'm a former RSI sufferer and that there is also those who have accessibility issues because of limited hand or head or foot movemenhttp://h2g2.com/h2g2/skins/brunel/images/buttons/smiley.gifts.smiley - winkeye

External Links

Post 11

Pastey

It used to be that making links open in a new window was an Evil Thing. And still it's not really strict HTML.

The thing I like about it though is that I don't have to think about how to click the link when I click it. Yes, I could right click, yes I could use the mouse wheel, etc, etc. But my personal opinion on it is, if it's a link that stays within the site, it stays within the window. If it goes out of the site, then it should get a new window/tab.

I personally think that the rule of not linking to new windows is outdated to the way that people use the internet.

Key: Complain about this post