A Conversation for Science Fiction and Fantasy

Science Fiction vs Fantasy

Post 21

AlmostaDutchman

Nothing in physics to allow for the possibility of light sabres? Maybe so, but I recall watching James Burke on Tomorrows world years ago, and he stated that it would be impossible to re-create a laser outside of the laboratory because of the collosal amount of energy required. Now every portable disco has one, every supermarket has hundreds. It was thought that when the trains came in that it would be impossible to travel faster than 20 miles per hour as we would all suffocate. This time last century the main form of transport was still the horse. Travel to the moon? You would have been locked up as a loony for mentioning the possibility. All these things were scientific fact at the time and could be proved (well almost) so I have no confidence in the impossibility of anything that the majority of the scientific community 'poopoo's', some scientists have stated that Einstien was wrong and these are laughed at, how could someone so emminent be wrong and after all everyone else who matters has agreed with him!

The first computer I worked on was bigger than the average bar in a reasonable sized pub and it had only 28K (yes that is K = Kilobytes) of main storage. God knows how much that cost, a few years later they were giving away calculators with a couple of Megabytes that were the size of credit cards with 5 litres of oil.

I am not saying that we will ever get light sabres, FTL space drives, or digital watches, but to discount these things as impossible is like the guy who told the Beatles that guitar bands were dead and that is being very narrow minded indeed!

Steve

Post 22

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

I am intrigued smiley - erm by the many definitions of Science Fiction and Science Fantasy. I personally have a penchant for S/Fantasy over and above S/Fiction, although there are many excellent authors in the latter genre. I particularly recommend early ones such as Jules Verne, John Wyndham and H G Wells. Some of the newer authors do not seem so adept with exceptions such as Heinlein and Asimov. Some just seem impossible (James Herbert). As with previous researchers, I agree that, in general, S/Fiction tends to be good Man/machine versus Evil Man/machine, with a fairly heavy preponderance latterly on technology.
With regard to S/Fantasy, it invariably falls into a Celtic Dragon/Arthur scenario, whether it is David Eddings, Anne McCaffrey, JJR Tolkien or Stephen Lawhead et al. My personal interest stemmed from Arthurian non-fiction, to Mary Stewart (hollow hills) and on to Stephen Lawhead (Taliesen) then further into other S/Fantasy novels. The general thread appears to be Faerie Spirits, Celtic Fey, Dragons and elves etc. To precis,S/Fantasy is very this world-this time/other world-other time, whereas S/Fiction tends to this world-this time/other world-this time. Now even I am confused! Ultimately enjoy whichever, or preferably both. (maybe WHSmith will give the genre a bit more space !!!)smiley - eureka

Post 23

bamskatesmongo

I believe that SF and fantasy deserve seperate genre sections to themselves due to the following differences;
*Science Fiction is often set in futuristic,modern cities or in space whereas
*Fantasy is usually set either a few hundred or thousand years ago , on earth, in places not differing very much from modern cities and towns or is set in modern places. Some examples are Lord Of The Rings being set a few hundred or thousand years ago and Philip Pullmans His dark Materials being set in a day and age rather similar to a modern city.
Does anyone agree?

Post 24

bamskatesmongo

I totally agree although I do not think tha Star Wars is anywhere near good enough to be used in the same sentence as LOTRs.

Post 25

Researcher 33337

I kind of like the seperate sections idea. Although I still feel people are falling into the trap of setting vs content. I will go out on a limb and say that Star Wars is Fantasy and not sci-fi. Ok, so it has technology, it has space ships, but ultimately it is the story about a young knight.wizard (Jedi, luke) and how he defeatc the evil sourcerer (The emporor/vader) and saves the kingdom (Galaxy) It is fantasy but in a SF setting.

For an SF example, see planet of the apes, rustic setting, but about how a man comes to deal with teh fact that his alien planet is in fact earth (Should I have left a spoiler space?) It reflects alot of the twist ending that SF Short stories in patricular use. See Ray bradbury's the martian Chronicles, no real basing in science, but storys of humanity existing in a colonised mars.

So, the genryes are seperate, but teh settings are exchangeable

Post 26

GodBob

I'm not real sure where this will pop up, but this is in reply to the person who said that there was nothing technological in lightsabers. I'm a bit of a Star Wars freak and because of that i know that they use a crystal that focuses the beam into the curve that it forms to make the blade.

Post 27

GodBob

I must say that i rather agree with the opinion of Star Wars being a Fantasy film, but i don't agree with the opinion that Sci-Fi must be in the future. I consider the works of Greg Bear to be Sci-Fi and most of his books have a present setting.

Or how about the prime example of "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy"? Those were definately meant to be in modern times and yet those are unarguably SF.

That or i'm really hung up on one post and missing the point of the conversation.

Post 28

gorndalft

I agree you can even have sci-fi set in the past, as in "2001 a Space Oddessy" where the first visit of aliens is when we are little more than apes.There are also many post-apolyptic s/fantasy books which use technology not yet invented as the basis of a magical society/hierachy. I think the only way you can split the two is by considering those books based around space/scientific exploration as s/fiction. Those books that deal with mythology/magic/legendry creatures & people as s/fantasy and the rest as a third group which contains elements of both. Trying to catogarise the genre into sections and sub-sections however is not as much fun as just going into a book shop, and spending time looking through the entire section to find a book you will enjoy.

Post 29

GodBob

Although, an interesting way to look at it would be to see them as the same, or at least very similar. From a certain point of view, you could say that technology is a lot like that magic used in many fantasy stories.

Post 30

Researcher 33337

True, I just know people who willa rgue about anything and transfer those problems onto teh general internet. Quite cruel really

Key: Complain about this post