This is the Message Centre for Sol

Sol: NaJoPoMo 21st: Plov

Post 1

Sol

Today I made Plov, also known as, I think, Pilaff. It's an Uzbek dish I came across many a time in Russia as street food. Huge metal saucepan full of a sticky lamb n rice dish. Really nice. The last time I attempted it myself, however, it was inedible.

This time I decided to pretend it is a sort of risotto, and this worked so well that if I can do it again with a few tweaks perhaps, I shall write a Guide entry. Unless there is one already. Hang on. Nope. Good.

But that means making a note of what I did, so, what the heck, let's do the show right here.

So, I had two packets of lamb steaks which must have been about 1kg. The first thing to do is make a nice lamb stock, and also cook the meat. So I boiled the lamb, cut up into chunks, with one onion, a couple of celery sticks, some carrots, half a swede and some garlic. Probably should have browned the meat first, but hey ho.

Whilst that was cooking I fried an onion and a lot of garlic - although next time I'll do more. Added about a teaspoon of peppercorns, a generous spoon of cumin seeds and the same of coriander seeds, all crushed in the obligatory pestle and mortar. This was really the right amount of spice. A nice cuminy taste without being overpowering, which is the first time that's happened to me for cumin ever, so really, note the amount again. A generous spoonful.

Five grated carrots later, and more oil (this is quite an oily dish) and a good ten to fifteen minutes cooking and what I did was fish the lamb chunks out of the stock and add them. Then I poured in two cups of rice (that's actual mugs - how do other people measure rice I wonder?), got it nice and greasy and poured in quite a bit of the stock. Which should still be hot. Think risotto, remember?

It's important at this point to not believe the recipes which say it will be all over ten minutes after that without further input. In fact I'd used up all the rather large saucepan of stick, plus quite a bit of extra hot water, much stirring and a lot of extra time before it was ready. Basmati rice, though. Didn't go to mush. Very gratifying.

Most people would have added salt before now. I don't when I'm cooking for the kids. Not that they would eat it, the philistines. B, on the other hand, did, which is not a forgone conclusion with anything I cook (he has an unreasoning prejudice against British food), and so did the MiL. So I think we can say that was a win. Particularly as it was definitely better than my MiL's plov, and somewhat less greasy too.

There was a lot left over though. Possibly half the quantity would be sufficient. Or I could make harcho soup with the stock as well or something.

Post 2

sprout

Sounds nice. Generally speaking, the more effort I put into cooking anything, especially anything new, the less likely it is that they will eat it. smiley - grr

sprout

Post 3

sprout

My kids that is. Adult members of the family are more polite/tolerant/adventurous.

sprout

Post 4

Deb

smiley - cheerup

Post 5

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

[Amy P]

Post 6

Sol

I find the kids are marginally more tolerant myself. Or at least, browbeatable.

Note to self. On reheating the leftovers, lots of garlic is quite sufficient.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Sol

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more