This is the Message Centre for Titania (gone for lunch)

Oostende, probably mid or late 1980ies

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

What with the Ride of the Ride of the Valkyries being mentioned recently in a different thread, that somehow triggered memories of Night on Bald Mountain in Fantasia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMmfaaiWMEs

The bell ringing towards the end brought back memories of the time I visited a friend who had moved to Oostende in Belgium. We had stayed up talking until late. When I went to bed in her flat, I noticed there was a church nearby that chimed out the time.

One for a quarter past the hour.
Two s for half past.
Three s for a quarter to.
And finally, four s to mark the full hour, followed by the big bell counting out the number of the hour with a for each hour.

I went to bed close to 11 pm. Yup, you can imagine the dinging and donging. But the worst of it was yet to come.

I lay twisting and turning, unable to sleep.

Getting up, drinking a bit of water, going to the bathroom.

Back to bed.

Knowing what was to come, I was unable to go back to sleep. The anticipation grew within me. I was dreading the moment. Then it came.

Bleary-eyed and exhausted, I finally fell asleep and slept soundly all night. I think they might have turned the bells off after midninght. Don't see how else I could have slept through all that dinging and donging.

Post 2

Titania (gone for lunch)

Thinking of it, it was a bit like Chinese water torture.

See, the big bell s were spaced out rather majestically.

So you got a attacking your ear drums, and you winced.

And then you waited, and waited, and waited.

Another , another wince.

And so on.

Post 3

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - erm
Yeah, that's about typical. Most folks don't mind the little s, but some folks just can't handle the long s.
smiley - rofl
B4someonethanksme4beingtupidenough2postingwhattheywereonlythinking

Post 4

Baron Grim

Last night on The Venture Brothers, The Monarch attempted to torture his nemesis, Dr. Rusty Venture by placing him inside a large bell and ringing it.

It was super ineffective.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Titania (gone for lunch)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more