This is the Message Centre for Titania (gone for lunch)

Some people walk in shabby shoes

Post 1

Titania (gone for lunch)

smiley - musicalnote

Tell me, why is it so?
Father God that lives in heaven
maybe wants it that way

Father God that lives in heaven
eyes shut, sleeping sweetly
Who cares about a pair of shabby shoes
when you are old and tired?

Who cares how the days pass?
They wander as they will
Citizen, in one hundred years
you will be no more

Somebody else will have taken your seat
You will not know
You will not feel wind nor sun
down in your dark grave

Who cares how the nights fare
I don't care a bit
As long as I can hide my face
in the hair of my beloved

I am a dubious character
good for nothing
Death lurks behind a corner
He'll take me when he wants to

until they have stopped walking
The devil that lives in hell
will have a good laugh then

smiley - musicalnote

- - - - - - - - - -

(another clumsy attempt of translating one of Cornelis Vreesvijk's songs from Swedish to English)

Post 2

Ottox

YAY!!! smiley - smiley

*listens to 'Somliga går med trasiga skor' on the Cornelis cd he got for his birthday*

Post 3

Z

It's a lovely sentiment in the song,

Post 4

Titania (gone for lunch)

*currently listening to a 'tribute to Cornelis' CD with Freddie Wadling and Fläskkvartetten doing a cover on 'Somliga går med trasiga skor' (pretty good if you ask me)

Post 5

Titania (gone for lunch)

Sorry, the Fläskkvartetten has a cover on 'Balladen om Herr Fredrik Åkare och Fröken Cecilia Lind' - the shabby shoes cover is done by Eldkvarn - not too bad either

Cornelis Vreeswijk

Post 6

Alfredo

Yes, a few weeks ago, there was a T.V. program about "our" Cornelis Vreeswijk; The "Dutch Donovan" so to speak.

And he appears to be múch more popular in Sweden than in Holland and ;

oh, yes, that's how it went; he "finally" got a statue somewhere in a small town in our little country.

It's probably the dark undertone in his singing/writing that has so much impact on the Scandinavians (and on me, but not in the person of Vreeswijk).

There's always some irony in the fact when someone abroud is far more known then in his homeland.

He was well known here in the sixties and forgotten aften that.

Untill Titania was móre awake than God is, and gave the man a stage at H2G2; for God is - indeed - the best sleeper of the Universe.

Cornelis Vreeswijk

Post 7

Titania (gone for lunch)

Yes, it has always amazed me how a Dutch could be so popular in Sweden, but less known in his country of origin...

...although you woldn't have been able to tell he was Dutch - he spoke Swedish very well, complete with slang expressions and all (thinking of 'Brev från kolonien')

And there is a tremendous width - there are ballads about love, about misery, about hores, about death...

Cornelis Vreeswijk

Post 8

Alfredo

He apparently could speak Swedish in the same way, as you appear to write/speak English, because even my dictionary cannot always follow you.

Cornelis Vreeswijk

Post 9

Titania (gone for lunch)

Ah - but your dictionary's inability to follow me might be because *I* don't use a dictionary - much - I guess a lot!smiley - biggrin Most of the time I get it right, but sometimes I end up with a Swenglish word!smiley - weird

Swenglish

Post 10

Alfredo

Well, your Swenglish happens to be só attractive and ímpressive, that Titti became Titania!

Cornelis Vreeswijk

Post 11

taliesin

'best sleeper of the Universe' smiley - laugh very good, Alfredo!
And thank you, Titania, for another wonderful bit of translation smiley - smiley

Cornelis Vreeswijk

Post 12

Titania (gone for lunch)

Music loop on youtube - songs 1-13 are sung by Cornelis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWHxsqOl_v0&list=RD02kmWdV6x4npI

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Titania (gone for lunch)

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more