This is the Message Centre for Edward

Royston Vasey

Post 1

Edward

http://www.h2g2.com/A398859

Royston Vasey is twitching into life.

The home of the BBC television comedy, the League of Gentlemen, it's recently been used as the location for filming a Christmas special (which involved spraying foam 'snow' over a kids' playground on the hottest day of the year).

The Gents, who write and play most leading roles in the series, are publishing a spin-off, A Local Book For Local People, this week.

The video of the first series is also being released, with an expanded DVD coming out in November.

And the Gents' live stage tour of the UK begins in Bristol on October 30.

You can even have a free email address with [email protected]

It's all too much...

Royston Vasey

Post 2

The Apprentice

You might want to add the correct link:

http://www.h2g2.com/A365438

The article itself could do with a great deal more information about the town itself with something more about the primary locations (e.g. the Butchers, the Local Shop, the Job Restart Centre). Primary characters would be handy too.

The current information would be OK as a round-up of factual information at the end of the article - but doesn't really carry itself as an article in it's own right.

A lot of this information can be gleaned from knowing the series of course. Best to stay clear of dipping too much into the book.

Royston Vasey

Post 3

BuskingBob

Could also probably benefit from a mention of what Royston Vasey really means?

(Like, it's Roy Chubby Brown's real name?)

Regarding the TV series - I think it suffered from having a laughter track; much of the canned laughter was in the wrong place or drowned out lines by the cast. Also, some of the visual jokes are over so quickly, that by the time the laughter track comes on the gag has gone. In any case the comedy was so dark that not everyone would be laughing at the same thing.

There are a lot of stories about the show and the cast - the original stage version used sellotape for distorting the noses upwards. It may be worth dropping a few of tghese into the article to give some sort of feeling about the show for those who have never seen/heard/ it.

For me, the most frightening aspect of the show was Pauline, the "Back-to-work" project leader. THe character was typical of the worst of some people who are actually in that sort of job.

Royston Vasey

Post 4

The Apprentice

I believe the choice has to be made here to either:

(a) complete an entry on the League of Gentlemen, of which Royston Vasey is a sub-heading

OR

(b) complete an entry on Royston Vasey (covering people, places, events) that would ultiamtely be referenced by a future entry on the League.

As it stands, and I've already highlighted, the current entry needs considerable work to flesh the details out, whatever route is pursued.

Royston Vasey

Post 5

BuskingBob

I prefer your first idea - League Of Gentlemen with Royston Vasey as a subheading or whatever.

If the subject is "Royston Vasey", I think it can too easily fall into the same area as "little furry creatures from the planet zobb" ie it's fantasy rather than fact.

It's always difficult to do an article on this type of subject - the temptation to crib directly from the book is immense but should be resisted.

Royston Vasey

Post 6

Metal Chicken

As it stands this is not an article! It's just the intro used on the linked RoystonVasey website - ie a teaser for "Edward"'s own site.
Given that the League of Gentlemen has turned into quite a little cult, they probably do deserve an article but at the moment this isn't it. BTW it's not taken from a book; the League of Gentlemen was originally the name of the team of comedians, then the radio show, then the TV series and now the stage show.
An article on the subject could cover the very black humour and somewhat grisly storylines, some of the characters, the catchphrases and maybe a brief mention of the 'real' Royston Vasey. The fictional town doesn't merit an article of its own and I live in the village where its filmed so I'm allowed to say the real town doesn't make much of an article either (or maybe that's a challenge for me smiley - tongueout)

Thread Moved

Post 7

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'Royston Vasey'.

Back to Entry - this is a User Page and too short. There is an Edited Entry on the topic here: A585353 'The League of Gentlemen' - the TV Programme

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Edward

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more