This is the Message Centre for Researcher 133029

Begining fishing

Post 1

Researcher 133029

On June 10, 2000, I was invited to spend a couple of hours fishing with my brother. Since I am really uninformed as a fisherman, I think this is the perfect opportunity to tell how to begin fishing and what to do in what scenario.
Basically, I know two things: nothing and next to nothing. I can cast a line, but I am one of those squeamish people who couldn't even put bait on a hook. So, fishing is actually a new experience, and I think I can give enough hints and tips that can start anyone fishing.
I had my brother check out my old rod and reel. Yes, I did have one, but I never caught anything with it. It had a ten year old 5lb test line. His recommendation was a 15-20 lb test line, because you just never know what's out there. We were looking at anything from bluegill to largemouth bass to catfish.
We then went to a baitshop and picked up two different kinds of live bait. Worms are classic bait and is what everyone should use their first time out. Also there are live minnows. In the food chain, minnows are the fish that are eaten by larger fish.
We got to the lake and pulled out all of the equipment. One interesting thing to note is that there is a lot of equipment involved with fishing. If you can find a way to reduce the amount of stuff you are carrying, you will probably find your experience will be more enjoyable.
Do not forget the sunscreen and apply it thoroughly. I got a sunburn. Also you might try to find polarized sunglasses as they will reduce the strain on the eyes and reduce the glare from the water.
Now you can't just throw the hook into the water, because fish are not stupid. You need to entice them with food. This outing I would be using worms. If you have never put a worm on a hook, prepare to feel the worm squirm in your hand. However, I found a way that will introduce you to the worm, and slowly get you used to putting a worm on the hook.
Worms usually come in styrofoam cups. First try to dig one to the top of the cup. If you need to, remove the dirt from the top to find them. One you got one to the top, you can use the side of the cup to spear the worm with your hook. That way, you don't even have to touch it when it starts really squirming.
You also need to wind the worm around the hook and continuing to put the hook through the worm, until the hook is mostly covered by the worm. You will most likely have a lot of the worm left over. You can either try to pull it apart, or you can use the edge of the cup like a butter knife and cut the worm. As long as there is a bit of dangling and wiggling worm, you have an enticing feast for the fish.
We were using bobbers on our lines. For beginners, this is definitely the way to go, as you can not possibly feel when a fish is nibbling at your lure. Always remain vigilant to your bobber, because when that thing goes into the water even just a little bit, that is a fish trying to eat your worm. The goal is to get the fish to take the hook, so when the bobber shows a fish, then you need to give a little tug on the line.
If you haven't been paying attention, reel in your hook, as you will no doubt find it cleaned of food. This is basically how the whole day went. There was one strike on my brother's line, but it got away, before he could reel it in.
At one point we had the worm just dangling just underneath the top of the water and before we knew it, there were about a dozen or so fish just looking at it. We figure that the hook might be too large, so we then changed to a smaller hook.
There are some things of note that everyone should know before fishing. The first is that you need to get a fishing liscense. Ask the clerk at any sporting goods counter. I think I paid 10.50 for mine here in iowa. It's good for an entire year.
Another thing is that you really don't have to spend a whole lot to get started with fishing. Make sure you have different sizes of hooks. If you attach one of those things that keep your line from twisting up, you can change your hook in seconds.
I don't have anything at this time to tell you what to do when you have the fish, but this information should be a good start. Fishing may seem really easy and maybe that's why people laugh when they say it's not a sport. The truth is that they probably have never really fished. I am a fairly sedentary guy, and the experience of being a bit active and being outdoors was actually better than anything else that I have done.
I think if you like to eat fish and you feel the need to get out of the house. This might be the thing for you.

Begining fishing

Post 2

Peta

Wow, what a informative posting. If you copied this onto a new page and submitted it, I expect it would get into the official guide part of h2g2.. smiley - smiley

Thanks for posting... smiley - smiley

Begining fishing

Post 3

Researcher 133029

I submitted a more informative and through version of the journal entry for guide approval. I think it's pretty good considering that it was the first time I've gone fishing in at least 16 years, and that I really didn't know what I was doing then.

I hope to learn what to do when I actually land a fish. I absolutely do not know what to do if I catch a catfish. I spent countless hours on the internet to find any information related to that. There really isn't. All the fishing pages on the web are all about how to get better at fishing, but not getting started.

I think that everyone who likes fish should actually try to catch it. It gives the individual more respect for the animals. Especially if you were outsmarted by the fish like I was. smiley - fish

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Researcher 133029

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more