A Conversation for International Dining Etiquette

salt and pepper shakers

Post 1

Woodlark

Always pass the salt and pepper shakers together. If someone asks for one, you pass them both. This seems to be a Western thing.

I've had many a lively debate with Americans/Canadians over this one, and have tested it, as well. It seems my parents' generation follows this rule quite well, but most people up to their late 30s or so don't. The best explanation I can give for it is if you pass them seperately, they'll get seperated, and in the case of multiple sets, you could end up with salt at one end and pepper at the other. I mean, besides the aesthetic argument that they're *supposed* to go together.

salt and pepper shakers

Post 2

Datsun

About the salt and pepper: always sample food before applying your salt or pepper. I think the logic behind this is to avoid upsetting sensitive/bad cooks by assuming that their food will not be good enough without extra seasonings or condiments.
I can't understand what would happen if one were to try the food first and be disgusted by it? Perhaps the cook will be satisfied knowing that you followed the proper dining protocol.

Key: Complain about this post

salt and pepper shakers

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more