This is the Message Centre for Caledonian

Saint Louis

Post 1

Gavroche

Your St. Louis article (under construction) says you are researching information about St. Louis.

As a current resident who has lived here most of my life (all but a few years of college) I'd be more than willing to help. The difficult part of course, is narrowing down what to talk about -- there is so much.

Athletic teams (Cardinals, Blues, Rams), Muny Opera, Forest Park (where the 1904 Worlds Fair was held), St. Louis Zoo, Grant's Farm, Anheuseur Busch, Riverboat Gambling, "What High School did you go to?", Ted Drewes, 7-Up, St. Louis Symphony, Bi-State Metro-link, Dred Scot court case, Eugene Fields, Chuck Berry, John Goodman, The Hill, TS Eliot, Washington University, The Weather, KDHX, and the list goes on.

Let me know what you'd like to focus on, and I will see if I can provide you with some information, or some answers to your questions.

smiley - fish

Saint Louis

Post 2

Caledonian

Ah, good ol' St. Louie...

I'd appreciate any information you could give me about St. Louis. I was born there, and lived there for more than 12 years (on and off), but I haven't been back in a while... so my memory's getting a bit rusty.

I'm trying to concentrate on things that tourists or visitors would find of interest... scenic vistas, attractions, food (ummm.... Ted Drewes... I haven't had a concrete in years... smiley - sadface ).

Do you have any suggestions for my Botanical Garden Article, as well? I'd like to puff it out a bit, as it's kind of short.

Thanks for your interest! Anything you could do to help would be greatly appreciated. (I'll add your name to the Researcher list, as soon as I figure out how.)

[bows respectfully]

-Caledonian

Saint Louis

Post 3

Gavroche

I don't know a lot about the Botanical Gardens, beyond it having the largest Japanese Gardens outside of Japan (or at least it did when I was younger, that fact may have changed).

Tourist Attractions
1) The Arch.
2) Busch Stadium - home of the Baseball Cardinals (and the Football Cardinals before they moved to Arizona)
3) Anheueur Busch Brewery (they do offer tours)
4) Grant's Farm (a house where Ulysses Grant lived is on the grounds of this park where, among other things, kids are able to feed goats)
5) Eugene Field's house (Eugene Field is the children's poet who wrote The Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat, among other poems)
6) The Old Courthouse (where the Dred Scott case was tried)
7) St. Louis Zoo (free, and one of the nation's best zoos. The Bird House remains standing from the 1904 World's Fair)
8) St. Louis Symphony
9) MUNY opera (during the summer months, musicals and stage productions are performed under the stars. There are also free seats for those who can't afford tickets)
10) Riverboat gambling
11) Ted Drewes (two locations...sells christmas trees in the winter, but their frozen custard draws larger crowds in the summer)
12) We used to have the largest independent book store in the nation...Library Ltd...but it was sold to Borders about 18 months ago.

Saint Louis

Post 4

Gavroche

H2G2 is developing a new submission process that should help those writing entries find other researchers with information who can help. It's called the University of Life, and is already in place, and I suspect soon that H2G2 powers that be will start encouraging its use.

You may want to check out http://www.h2g2.com/A338915 and browse around.

Gavroche

Saint Louis

Post 5

Caledonian

Thank you, Gavroche. I'll try to do that (it looks like an interesting idea, although I'm not sure if I can handle it...)

[bows respectfully]

--Caledonian

Saint Louis

Post 6

St. Sabryn

I know this entry is a little old, but these posts have brought back a lot of memories! As a child, I went to St. Louis often on vacation and class trips. One thing I didn't see listed in the tourist attractions is the Magic House; can anyone tell me if it is still there?

Sabryn

Saint Louis

Post 7

Caledonian

Oh yes -- in fact, it's undergone a major expansion in the last few years.

My favorite part was always the kinetic sculpture in the front window.

[bows respectfully]

--Caledonian

Saint Louis

Post 8

St. Sabryn

Expansion? Well, that settles it -- I'll have to go back!

I'll also have to check out the Gardens again...all I really remember is the Climatron. (Great review, by the way.)

Sabryn

blood! blood!

Post 9

Elvis (the King) Mirani:Drinker of Chai, Abuser of Caffiene(in whatever form), Chaser of Chicks and Lover of Bombay (Mumbai now)

HA! someone online who's just registered
pal, buddy, lifelong friend, how the heck do i change my nick from number number number to a word?

Saint Louis

Post 10

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Sabryn: Would you please activate your homepage, so that I can greet you properly? Thanks.
Elvis: I see your name, not your number! Are you OK now or do you need any more help?

Saint Louis

Post 11

St. Sabryn

Archangel Galaxy Babe: How do I activate my homepage? (I thought I had.)

Sabryn

Saint Louis

Post 12

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

click on "edit page" {It's at the bottom?} Then type in something in the title box, and say a few words about yourself as an introduction. Then when you click on "update" there will be a new box on your page. "Discuss"; people can then talk to you directlysmiley - smiley Shout on this thread if you have any more problems..I will be alerted & answer.

Saint Louis

Post 13

St. Sabryn

Ok...I got it. Thanks for pointing that out!

Oh, and thank you for the use of your page, Caledonian smiley - smiley

Sabryn

Saint Louis

Post 14

broelan

i thought i might mention that the brewery tours are free (tho i've never taken one).

one of my favorite things to do is to go to the museum of transport on barrets station road.

one of the things that sets st. louis apart from other major cities is the common occurrence of small neighborhoods within the city, like soulard, dog-town, the hill, south city, etc.

to stick to tourist points, it can be mentioned the other attractions in missouri that are a day trip from st. louis, like st. charles, hannibal, ste. genevive, and state parks like johnson's shut-ins, elephant rocks, and washington.

another biggie in the city would be union station, maybe kiener plaza, and of course the old cathedral.

don't forget imo's pizza!

as i am a seasonal subscriber to the st. louis symphony orchestra, i can get you some information on that, altho i am planning on (eventually) compiling an entry just for that. there already is one, but it's not very thorough, and i've tried to contact the researcher to collaborate but have gotten no response.

it could also be mentioned that the nation's first interstate highway was started just across the missouri river in st. charles.

give me a holler, i'd love to help. i already have a link to your entry from my space.

broelan

Key: Complain about this post