This is the Message Centre for Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

First talk (GB)

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

My local astronomy club has started something new - members giving talks of their own in between the main monthly meetings where we have a guest speaker. I attended the first last month and it was so successful that another has been scheduled for tonight. I have bitten the bullet and signed up - my talk is going to be on the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy website - you may have heard of it smiley - winkeye I'm taking along my Douglas Adams "Wish You Were Here" book as it has a lovely photo of our founder on the cover. And my copy of the Earth Edition book. I might mention that it's up for sale on Amazon smiley - whistle while I have a captive audience. Photos, via a "flash drive" (get me!) of Jeremiah Horrocks' church which I visited in 2011, will enhance it (if the technology works). Wish me luck for my first-ever public speaking role!smiley - goodluck

First talk (GB)

Post 2

Bluebottle

smiley - goodluckEnjoy every minute!smiley - ok

<BB<

First talk (GB)

Post 3

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

You'll do great. Enjoy yourself!

First talk (GB)

Post 4

You can call me TC

The first rule of public speaking is "know your subject" - and you certainly fulfil that criterion. Remember we are all with you!

First talk (GB)

Post 5

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

The second rule is "picture everybody naked" smiley - biggrin

I'm not recommending it, though. Tried it once. Couldn't stop laughing.

Either way I know you'll do fine smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

First talk (GB)

Post 6

FWR

Knock em dead babe xx

First talk (GB)

Post 7

Willem

I wish you luck for your first-ever public speaking role!

First talk (GB)

Post 8

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Public speaking is fun! And you'll do well.

TRiG.smiley - book

First talk (GB)

Post 9

I did!smiley - biggrin I kept to my topic, and my finale was showing the open book with my Jeremiah Horrocks photo at his bio, and saying how proud I was - I had got quite warm while talking and I knew my Dad was with me and suddenly "and my Dad would be proud too" came out of my mouth. I got a round of applause from the dozen-or so audience and there was only one question about Jeremiah Horrocks' house, whether it was open to the public or not, I couldn't answer as I didn't go there, we just went round the church (by appointment).

Three people showed interest in The Book - Sarah even took details of the title and said she was definitely going to order itsmiley - biggrin

First talk (GB)

Post 10

FWR

well done you!smiley - cheerssmiley - applause

First talk (GB)

Post 11

smiley - blush thank you sweetheart smiley - love

First talk (GB)

Post 12

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

smiley - applausesmiley - bubbly I knew you'd be great!

First talk (GB)

Post 13

Reality Manipulator

GB I will be thinking about you at this special time. Sending my warmest wishes and good luck thoughts on your first talk, that it will be received very well and will be very successful.smiley - goodlucksmiley - applausesmiley - magicsmiley - bubbly

First talk (GB)

Post 14

Reality Manipulator

Congratulations GB in your very successful first talk.smiley - magicsmiley - bubblysmiley - applausesmiley - cheers

First talk (GB)

Post 15

SashaQ - happysad

Congratulations! Well done indeed - great idea for a talk, and glad it was so well received smiley - biggrin

I find it rather nerve-wracking giving a talk, even to a friendly group - I did some presentations at uni which were OK, but I did a talk for a local society a couple of years ago and was nervous so I finished speaking more quickly than expected. I had items on the front table for people to look at, though, and everyone enjoyed having more time to study the items in more detail after having heard the talk, so it worked out well smiley - ok

Superb finale for your talk indeed smiley - applausesmiley - biggrin

First talk (GB)

Post 16

Superfrenchie

Congratulations, GB ! smiley - biggrin

First talk (GB)

Post 17

Willem

Big congrats from me as well!

First talk (GB)

Post 18

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

And from me of course smiley - hugsmiley - smooch

smiley - pirate

First talk (GB)

Post 19

smiley - hugsmiley - bubbly

Thanks for your support everyone. I was also showing off The Book at my extended family Boxing Day party, and promoting it, hopefully this is where some Christmas money will be spentsmiley - 2centssmiley - booksmiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post