This is the Message Centre for Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Mum update (GB)

Post 721

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

"my two beautiful daughters" smiley - winkeyeare they single ? smiley - whistlesmiley - biggrin

Mum update (GB)

Post 722

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Mum's had a good appetite since I knocked those bottles of gloop on the head that were 100% fat that she was discharged with. The battle since then has been getting her to regain some weight (she slipped to 40kg if you recall). Last month she was 42kg, this month she's 44kg, so I know we're heading in the right direction! Once she gets her energy back, I'll start walking her up and down the street, now the nicer weather is here smiley - smiley

Laura is single, Prof. Helen lives with her boyfriend and a smiley - cat and smiley - dog t'other side of Manchester.

Mum update (GB)

Post 723

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

next questionsmiley - winkeye(chuckles)is she rich and likes idiots ? smiley - biggrinsmiley - biggrin

Mum update (GB)

Post 724

smiley - laugh

Mum update (GB)

Post 725

Websailor

Like everyone else I am in awe of you GB, I have done my share of caring and I know how hard it is, especially with gradual dementia. It is harder in the early stages as you are never quite sure how much they are aware of and you don't want to upset them and that can be a strain.

Had my son's mother in law to b (sometime) for the weekend with dog in tow. She is 86 (MiL not the dog) and it was very pleasant. I have had a considerable amount of unaccustomed exercise as i didn't dare let her dog walk alone in a strange area! Have decided I need more exercise as she is fitter than me despite being fifteen years older!!

Websailor smiley - dragon

Mum update (GB)

Post 726

scorp

smiley - hug GB! Have you reached the guess the thought stage yet? My Mother knew exactly what she wanted to say; but could no longer transfer messages from brain to lips. There was one day when she had an apple and said to me "can you fetch me that?" and then stopped mid speech with a puzzled and defeated look in her eyes - that alone is enough to make you want to smiley - cry

I tried to suggest all I could think of that she might need and suggested knives and plates various; all met with an angry and frustrated "NO"

In desperation, I brought in the cutlery drawer from the kitchen cabinet; and her hand immediately pounced upon her oldest; most worn out fruit knife. And she looked up at me with a look of absolute triumph, as though to say that I should have known what she wanted in the first place - she knew!! smiley - huhsmiley - sighsmiley - silly

Mum update (GB)

Post 727

It all sounds very familiar. There are days I despair. When I went round with Helen on Easter Monday after our lunch, Mum asked her the same questions over and over again. Like the trooper she is, Helen answered the same each time, in the same voice, I'm so proud of hersmiley - brave

After I brought our smiley - tea in (smiley - oj for Helen&gtsmiley - winkeye I sat opposite Mum & Helen, they are exactly 60 years apart, and have always had similar personalities and Helen did try to talk to Mum rather than respond to questions but she had to repeat them so many times, Mum's not deaf, she just didn't seem to understand, it was agonizing to watchsmiley - cry
When Helen was going she hugged & kissed her grandma and told her how well she looked, and Mum said she was doing really well "thanks to these" and swept her arm around the room, then pointed at me. It crossed my mind that because I'd been sat there quietly while Helen was there, Mum lapsed into thinking I was a carer. I saw Helen out, then went back into the room, Mum said "Hello love! How are you? You've just missed Helen!"

smiley - cry

Mum update (GB)

Post 728

Websailor

It sounds cruel GB, but the most essential thing you need to hang on to is your sense of humour, without that you are lost. Laughing at the strange behaviour is not laughing AT HER but the peculiarities of the brain, and reminding yourself this is happening to thousands of people and you are not alone.

smiley - hug

Mum update (GB)

Post 729

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

smiley - hug

Mum update (GB)

Post 730

I performed a minor miracle today. I've finally managed to track down a dentist willing to examine my mother. And they've managed to squeeze her in on Fridaysmiley - magic

Mum update (GB)

Post 731

Elektragheorgheni -Please read 'The Post'

Congratulations! smiley - bubbly

Mum update (GB)

Post 732

Websailor

Well done.

Mum update (GB)

Post 733

are you telling us the whole tooth ?

smiley - whistle

Mum update (GB)

Post 734

smiley - biggrin

Tea carer phoned me last night, Clee Medical rang Mum's landline with her INR resultsmiley - erm it was 9, so Warfarin suspended immediately pending new blood test on Mondaysmiley - vampiresmiley - nursewhich clashes with the 2-hour perm appointment my sister made at the hairdressers for Mum (and me) of course the blood test takes precedence so we'll have to hope the hairdresser is flexible (smiley - yikesI hope 2legs isn't lurking here?smiley - handcuffs)

Today was so lovely that I decided to embark upon my maiden voyage with the wheelchair. We went for a walk/ride around the Boating Lake. And very lovely it was too. We saw 2 geese families with goslings of differing ages and a swan on a nest. Pity I forgot my camera.smiley - doh

Mum update (GB)

Post 735

frenchbean

Well done enjoying the wheelchair outing.

The last one I had with my mum was three years ago and ended up with her stuck in a muddy rut and me having to run half a mile to find a burly man to help extract her smiley - laugh

I wasn't exactly smiley - magic daughter that day - with good reason which made a change (usually there's no reason) smiley - grr

Fb smiley - star

Mum update (GB)

Post 736

I know this feeling, you can't do anything right, what you do isn't appreciated, yet when you stay away they send out a search party, then the brother who deigns to visit once-in-a-blue-moon gets treated like the Prodigal Son and his wife the landed gentry "Ann'll make the tea! Don't you bother yourselves! Sit down and we'll catch up!" Ann'll wash up too, of course. smiley - steamsmiley - grr

Onwards and upwards. Although not with the wheelchair thank goodnesssmiley - puff We went again yesterday morning, this time armed with half-a-loaf and my camera. Lovely it was too, all wheelchair friendly and only a few pushes uphill. Better than an hour of daytime tv anytimesmiley - biggrin

Tomorrow is going to be a challenge. smiley - facepalmI hope the blood nursesmiley - vampiresmiley - nurse will have been during the morning as I don't go until the afternoon due to the domestic's 90 minutes of smiley - magic then the lunch carer, Mum's hair appointment is at 2pm-4pm, but I am not going to sit in the hairdressers waiting for it to all be done. I can walk to St Peter's Avenue and browse a few shops during that time. Or walk along the promenade breathing in some fresh sea air. smiley - zen

Mum update (GB)

Post 737

You can call me TC

*makes and hands Annie a cup of smiley - tea*

Mum update (GB)

Post 738

smiley - droolsmiley - taYou're an angel, TCsmiley - angelsmiley - kiss

Mum update (GB)

Post 739

Websailor

and smiley - cake and count yourself lucky to have access to sea air, very envious!

Websailorsmiley - dragon

Mum update (GB)

Post 740

when all the world rests on your shoulders, always still look to the positivesmiley - smileyAS! your at the top of the A1 motorway,while the rest are still at the bottomsmiley - hug

smiley - profmetaphor logicsmiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more