This is the Message Centre for Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 21

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

He was a man of many talents smiley - smiley

I was up early enough this morning to see the gorgeous sliver smiley - crescentmoon, but there were so many clouds all around it that I never saw anything else. Apparently the Geminid meteor shower is already proving fruitful but it was too cold last night for me to venture out, as it will be again tonightsmiley - brr

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 22

Icy North

I saw the moon and Venus this morning, and it was beautiful. Should I have been able to see Mercury and Saturn too, or would I have needed a telescope?

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 23

Websailor

He also played the xylophone brilliantly smiley - smiley which was always a surprise.

Websailor smiley - dragon

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 24

Icy North

He also played the xylophone on Firestarter by The Prodigy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH9L6VonhQc

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 25

Websailor

Thank you Icy smiley - smiley

Websailor smiley - dragon

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 26

Zubeneschamali

Patrick Moore met (in person) Orville Wright, Yuri Gagarin and Neil Armstrong. He believed he was the only person to have done so.

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 27

Icy North

Did he meet Keith Harris too? smiley - smiley

(Oh, and thanks for the bird's surname - I never knew that) smiley - ok

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 28

smiley - laugh

<> you don't need a telescope to see Saturn but it looks beautiful in one. Mercury, ooh, I've seen that through my binoculars, don't think I've ever seen it naked eye. Peta has seen Mercury transiting the Sun!smiley - wow (through a special filter of course)smiley - cool

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 29

tucuxii

This is worth a look

http://astrog80.astro.cf.ac.uk/mwm/

I should really make the effort to actually see Andromeda - another galaxy as it was 2 million years ago

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 30

Orcus

Andromeda is easy, just find the Pegasus square, top left star and and go across and down a bit... smudgy thing smiley - winkeye. Generally need binoculars mind unless you have the luxury of very clear and dark skies.

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 31

Orcus

Mercury is quite difficult. It's very close to the sun all the time and so only really visible soon before sunrise or soon after sunset. I never managed to see it in my days of active stargazing - seen the rings of Saturn through my dad's 6" reflector telescope. Stunning.
I did try and find Uranus and Neptune with our binoculars too but I can't really be sure I saw it as they are just too dim and starlike. So unless you see them actually move relative to the stars and/or know the stars *really* well (and I mean many of the ones not visible to the naked eye too) then they're very tricky.

If you could see Mercury, Saturn, Venus and the moon all at the same time then there would be special news stories going down about it. Very rare - if possible

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 32

I stepped outside at 6am to gawp at glorious Jupiter setting in the west and got flashed by a Geminid just as I glanced upsmiley - star

Now (7.30am and still pre-dawn) I've seen Saturn, Venus and Mercury in the east, the sky is just turning reddish-orange so I've put my binoculars away. Venus is very distinctive of course but I needed my binos to see Saturn and Mercury, which are either side ov Venus, Saturn above and Mercury below, approx 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock with Venus at the centre.

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 33

Gnomon - time to move on

I've only seen Mercury twice, both times when walking on my way to work, and without binoculars.

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 34

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I was driving late last night, and I got to see 3 geminidssmiley - magic--the 3rd as I was going around the car to head towards the house. Not bad for not being able to actually watch the sky.

RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Post 35

smiley - wow

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more