This is the Message Centre for Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 1

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I'm not very well, sore throat and hacking cough, so I phoned my smiley - doctor surgery this morning and got an appt with the triage smiley - nursewent and got some antibiotics and then came home to the news that h2g2 was being discarded by the BBC. smiley - dontpanic?? Well, I don't know what to say or do other than feel sadsmiley - blue I'm smiley - brokenheart at the thought of losing this community that's been part of my life (make that a whole chunk) for over a decade. Oh well, no doubt the BBC will soon find another pool of volunteers to write for them for free. No? For now I'll be making copies of my solo articles which may take some timesmiley - schooloffish

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 2

IctoanAWEWawi

'Galaxy Babe 2000-2011'
eeep! Don't do that to me!

On the hootoo front, early days but things are not necessarily totally bleak. There are options.

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 3

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

Aww, you will always be our Galaxy Babe!

smiley - hugsmiley - smooch

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 4

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm lucky I only have 26 to copy, and I'm nearly done:

http://myapprovedh2g2articles.blogspot.com/

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 5

Shea the Sarcastic

Awwww! smiley - hug

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 6

You can call me TC

Hope you buck up soon, GB. For so many of us it has been a huge part of our lives for this past decade.

In fact, if I can't go to h2g2 when I'm on the internet, I don't know where to go!?

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 7

scorp

Suggestions GB?

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 8

ITIWBS

Suggestion for fund raising I'll be dropping from time to time, as it may become very relevant, "h2g2 complete", DVD or removable drive cassette sales. Questions raised so far, reasonable ones, "the edited Guide only?" ...I'd also suggest a complete backup cassette for any individual users' personal account...

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 9

Cassette? Coo, there's people on here won't know what those are!smiley - laugh

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 10

Icy North

Get well soon, GB smiley - hugsmiley - pggb

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 11

ITIWBS

A little box with a disk mounted inside you plug into a bus on the computer, which then reads it as an independent disk. Capacity, typically a gigabyte.

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 12

pailaway - (an utterly gratuitous link in the evolutionary chain)

I have to say that I've never in my life met an odder or more delightful group of people than the ones here. smiley - brave

It would be a great loss indeed if all of the nuttiness that has gone into making the EG so absolutely unique, so skewed and yet so useful and informative must wander away homeless.

...and just the idea that soon we might not be able to blame 2legs for everything anymore - well it's almost too much smiley - wah

I'm going to go dig a hole and stick my head in it. smiley - sadface

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 13

...smiley - erm ok. *I* didn't know that...

To me, a cassette is one of those things I used to put in a tape player, hook up to my ZX Spectrum, and wait 5 minutes for Manic Miner to load from... Ahh, life was simple then...

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 14

Gnomon - time to move on

Ah, I think I'd normally use the names "Dongle" or "USB Key" for ITIWBS's "cassette".

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 15

Ahh, a memory stick! Although now they're not just sticks, they're all sorts of shapes... Pocket sized USB storage devices... Just for heaven's sake, don't make a Marvin shaped one - plug it into your computer, and your computer will commit suicide!

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 16

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

i remember when my father received his first long playing record as a birthday smiley - gift. arias sung by maria callas smiley - bigeyes

those were the days... when daddy had to buy a brand new gramophone to be able to listen to it smiley - rofl

the gramophone cost about 100 times as much as the gift smiley - yikes

sorry smiley - offtopicsmiley - run

smiley - pirate

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 17

scorp

How does any of this keep us together as a group, after the event?

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 18

Gnomon - time to move on

ITIWBS was suggesting selling the Guide on a memory stick as a way of funding a new site where we can all be together.

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 19

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Now my last article has been picked from PR, I am no longer writing for the EG. My efforts to keep updating etc have ground to a halt since I noticed the absence of the Eds for the whole of last week, and with no new FP this morning I fear they have deserted ussmiley - elvis

If we have no Eds, there are things we (Curators, Scouts and sub-eds) can't do. And I don't like that feeling of inadequacy smiley - sadface

I asked for 2 articles to sub-edit a week ago and I still haven't received them, so I doubt I will be doing any more (if I ever get those to do).

smiley - sadface

Galaxy Babe 2000-2011

Post 20

aka Bel - A87832164

Chris is away this week, but Paul said that Sam will be back this week.
be patient, I think last week the FP only changed at about 11.30.

Key: Complain about this post