This is the Message Centre for Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood...

Post 141

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

I remember walking to school in the snow, many years ago smiley - winkeye Unfortunately I think I'm a bit too far away from work to be able to walk it sensibly in any weather, let alone any decent depth of snow!

Hehe, sounds like a good use for them! Just hope they weren't like some of out old tea-towels, falling apart and full of holes. More like a net than any sort of towel... smiley - hug Don't worry about rantbling, we all need to do it from time to time. I hope things work out for the both of you smiley - hug

Ah, I spy progress on the painting front! Didn't fancy leaving your room like a sweetie then? smiley - winkeye That must mean you found a way to work around all the clutter a collapsing bookshelves and so on smiley - tongueout (Seeing as all women seem to be at least a bit mental, that's pretty much a pre-requisite for anyone!)

Yeah, with every different version of Hitchhiker, DNA used to joke about it being definitively different from all the others that came before it... I can think of a few other books that the film version ended up very different, and suffered as a result.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm, bacon smiley - flyingpig There's a *very* good Thai restaurant not too far from me, they do a very tasty soup too. Hot, sweet, sour, salty... Nom! smiley - drool I don't *think* I've tried making it myself, but I really ought to.

smiley - laugh Be thankful they can use a mouse! I've heard tales of various 'more senior' persons going to adult education classes, and doing things like waving the mouse around in the air... smiley - yikes Not quite understanding how things are working, methinks!

Post 142

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

I walked to school every day until college where I learnt to drive and commuted. I don't mind walking there in snow, but I hated ice and horizontal rain...I once got home from school and was so soaked through that I had to tumble dry my uniform in the 30 minutes (post walk) I had at home for lunch. smiley - yuk

smiley - nahnah They were brand new, specially purchased for the job as I knew they'd get covered in polish and need washed. Though at least I know where my smiley - towels are smiley - winkeye

Yup progress has been made, and yeah, thought a sweetie coloured room might be a little headache inducing. I've got the main body of the room and ceiling painted up and I like the colour. I mean, I miss the pink, but I needed a change and oddly most of the other colours in my room seem quite nice with it. Still have a lot of work to do getting it all back into order, but I will get there.(Being mental I think probably works both ways smiley - tongueout)

I didn't get why they introduced the Malkovich (sp.) character or the gun, but again, they don't bother me enough to get angry. I actually like that they're all different and, though it may be sacrilegious, I think with a story like the guide, it can handle a few updates whenever it's revived. Otherwise Ford is just wandering around with a slightly outdated Kindle when the general populous of this mostly harmless planet are more high tech wandering around emailing and watching youtube clips on their iPads. smiley - laugh (Please lovely Moderators/other hootooers/Eccles, don't lynch me, I love the guide and anything hootoo inspired, thus why I love all incarnations so far, I'm just stating a fact that we kind of have guide like tech now! Seeing I answer some messages on here on my iPad is proof of this, all I need is a don't panic cover smiley - cheerup).

Bacon is good. I could give up all other meat, but I could never give up bacon smiley - flyingpig The soup I make is a laksa, and we had it for tea on Monday smiley - biggrin Om nom nom! Made me very very happy smiley - biggrin (Lots of Umami!smiley - drool)

I've heard of people doing that too. Old people and tech are funny. My sister and I had to teach my grandpa how to text message yesterday. He's had a mobile phone for probably as long as I have, so over a decade, and he's only now trying it. smiley - laugh It was hilarious, it was like bambi and we thought he'd gotten it, he'd texted my uncle twice before he left the house very successfully, then half an hour and another text from my uncle later and he was on the phone asking for help! It's up to my sis to teach him now, my older sister got to teach him the computer, I got to teach him how to use his camera, it's little sisters turn to enjoy this joy smiley - devil

Post 143

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

Yeah, I was pretty similar. Walked to school every day for twelve years (I think it was about a mile each way for primary school - a bit further if we had to go to the church - though only a five minute walk for secondary school). Got the bus into town, then a walk through the park for the first year (or maybe only half year smiley - erm) of college, then managed to get a parking permit smiley - biggrin Don't think I ever went home for lunch though!

smiley - laughI had a sneaking suspicion they might have been! I know where my smiley - towels are too - only the other day I (re)discovered my 'Don't Panic' towel!

I can only imagine how much of a mess you've made having to shift everything around to get to all the walls. Now you've got the fun bit though, trying to put it all back together smiley - biggrin (So you just need to find someone who's as nuts as you are? smiley - tongueout)

Yep, those bits certainly seemed a bit out of place. The other bit I had real problems with was the 'slapstick' segment - have a though, and get whacked in the face. Just didn't wok at all for me, just seemed rather annoying. That said, I still watch it when it's on TV... There are these: <./>http://www.zazzle.co.uk/hitchhikers+guide+to+the+galaxy+ipad+cases</.>, but personally none of them quite look right to me... I suspect there may be copyright problems if any of the original artwork was used smiley - sadface

That's something I've heard a few vegetarians (or nearly-vegetarians) say... What is it about bacon that's so delicious? smiley - drool I can't remember what the soup I've had is... Even worse, trying to look up the restaurant menu, it looks like the place may now have shut! smiley - wah

smiley - laugh Oh dear... Does the phone use predictive text? You don't have to look very far for the hilarity that that can cause!

Off to the Con in the morning! smiley - biggrin This was *supposed* to be an early(er) night in preparation... Didn't quite work out that way though! Oh well, it's all good fun smiley - biggrin

Post 144

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

I was never allowed a parking permit at uni. They were only given out to staff and people with disabilities. Which meant my 30 hour drive, which took up over an hours in the morning (traffic etc) was often topped off with an hours driving around to find a space smiley - sadface So instead of leaving at half eight for my nine o'clock class start, I used to leave at seven thirty. To be fair, I got good at knowing where the locals would be leaving at particular times, so I eventually was able to leave at eight, but it was still a pain. And I went home almost every day, was nice to get away from school for a wee while. smiley - smiley

smiley - laugh I have and Emily smiley - towel somewhere, but no don't panic smiley - towel The only one I know the exact location, which is not a house towel, is my hair dying towel (ie the one I ruined dying my hair pink for 3 years at uni. smiley - biggrin) which is in the wash because I used it to brush dust off my wall after patching some holes smiley - smiley So indeed, I've made a big mess in my room and it's cold because I haven't had time this week to do any sorting and so still can't get to my window to close it smiley - laugh (I don't think two people as nuts as one another would be a good plan, possibly nuts in different, yet somehow complimentary ways would be better. smiley - winkeye)

Mmm, I didn't mind the slapstick segment, it was stupid and unnecessary but somehow it does seem like the sort of thing Mr. Adams may have thought up in a slight Laurel and Hardy moment. smiley - erm no, those don't really work do they? The thing about Zazzle is the things are all designed by individuals trying to make a buck, so they're more a homage to rather than original artwork. The only one which seems proper is http://www.zazzle.co.uk/dont_panic_speckcase-176378606523072439 and even it's not great. Then again, I never liked this representation either: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/dontpanic_1024.jpg

It's because bacon must have umami! smiley - drool I'm not a big meat eater, but bacon is just lovely...a couple of potato scones and a bit of bacon or black pudding and that would do me just nicely. Auw, poor Eccles! You'll need to experiment with some recipes (or other menus smiley - winkeye) you could try some of the Wagamama recipes, their food's yummy.

The phone indeed does use predictive text smiley - laugh which was hard enough to explain! At least he and gran try. My other gran, we've bought her mobiles before and she doesn't even give it a go. So instead she goes off on the bus, seeing she can't drive, and we can never get in touch with her. She's in her eighties - thought you wouldn't think it - and has been fiercely independent since grandpa died (20 years ago this year smiley - sadface) but if something happened out and about she wouldn't be able to get in touch quickly. Which makes dad nervous. I mean I always have my phone when I'm out on my own "just in case", that's just sensible!

What is Con? Whatever it is I hope you're having fun. smiley - cheers

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more