A Conversation for Iron Maiden - the Band

Any Maiden fans out there????

Post 1

time sprout effigy

we seem to be missing a bit of opinion in this discussion. As a maiden fan of 20+ years I found the article informative and educational - containing nothing particularly new or entertaining. It all sounds a bit like a biography by a journo that doesn't particularly like the band.
Who is your favourite vocalist?
Janic or Adrian on guitar?
Should they have reformed now they're pushing 50?

It's ok, you can admit to liking them again.

Post 2

Eddiethead

What do you mean reformed? They never went away. And who cares about them pushing fifty? Definitely the greatest metal band on the planet.

Favourite singer - Bruce.
Favourite guitarist - Adrian.

Post 3

CHUCK1EZ

MUST AGREE ABOUT THE ARTICLE BEING WRITTEN BY SOME ONE WHO DOESN'T LIKE THE BAND OR A ROBOT WROTE IT.
FAVOURITE SINGER HAS TO BE BRUCE, NOT ONLY HIS SINGING BUT ALSO HIS WRITING.
HAVE NO FAVOURITE ON GUITAR BUT LIKE THE FACT THAT THERE ARE THREE OF THEM. AS FOR THEM REFORMING, APART FROM ADRIAN AND BRUCE RETURNING THEY NEVER SPLIT. UNFORYUNATELY WHEN BLAZE JOINED SALES DROPPED BUT BRUCE SAW HIS MISTAKE AND CAME BACK.
I SAW THE CONCERT AT BRIXTOM ACCADEMY ON BLAZES FIRST TOUR ALTHOUGH HE DID WELL, HE, OR ANYONE ELSE WOULD FIND IT IMPOSSIBLE TO REPLACE BRUCE.
LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEW ALBUM, GOING TO SEE THEM IN EARLS COURT AND PARIS IN NOVEMBER AND DECEMBER, SHOULD BE GOOD, ITS BEEN A COUPLE OF YEARS SINCE I'VE SEEN THEM LIVE SO TWO IN AS MANY MONTHS SHOULD MAKE UP FOR IT.
I HAVE GOT EVERYTHING MAIDEN HAVE RELEASED IN ENGLAND FROM THE SOUNDHOUSE TAPES TO THE REINCARNATION OF BENJAMIN BREEG IN ALL FORMATS, FROM BLACK VINYL TO PICTURE DISC 7" 10" AND 12" AND THE CD'S. I HAVE OVER 40 T SHIRTS, HAVE SEEN THEM LIVE 30+ TIMES IN ENGLAND HOLLAND AND FRANCE. I WANT TO GO TO BARCELONA TO SEE THEM BUT AS YET HAVEN'T. I HAVE BEEN A I.M.F.C. MEMBER FOR APPX 15-20 YEARS WITH A MEMBERSHIP NUMBER THAT IS TWO FIGURES LONG.
I HAVE NEVER PRETENDED THAT I DIDN'T LIKE THEM FROM THE FIRST TIME I BOUGHT THE FIRST ALBUM "IRON MAIDEN", BY CHANCE, OUT OF A SWEET SHOP BECUASE I LIKED THE PICTURE ON THE COVER. I HAVE BEEN HOOKED EVER SINCE. LONG MAY THEY REIGN.
HOPE THIS ANSWERS SOME OF YOUR QUESTIONS.
IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE WHO IS A BIGGER FAN?
PERHAPS WITH WORLD WIDE RELEASES,
OR MORE COUNTRIES VISITED TO SEE MAIDEN.
WHICH CONCERT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE?
WHO HAS BEEN YOUR BEST SUPPORT BAND TO MAIDEN?

CHEERS UP THE IRONS

Post 4

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

Please do not use capitals.. you are shouting smiley - headhurts

Welcome to Hootoo smiley - smiley

I have left a message in your Personal Space, which will hopefully help you find your ways about the site smiley - ok

lil xx
smiley - magic

Post 5

rainellena

Have been a Maiden fan for 18 years now but have only seen them a few times.Will be going again in December to see them at earls court.Best gig I've been to so far was last year at hammersmith, totally blown away!!!! Up The Irons!!!!

Post 6

cockney01

I've been a Maiden fan for the last 20 years, so lt me offer my opinion.

My favourite vocalist is Paul Di'Anno. He's not the best singer the band have had - that title goes to Mr.Dickinson - but, coming from a punk background, Paul just has that edge that I prefer. The songs that he sang on the first two records just sound better with him singing them. For proof, just check out the early tracks sang by Bruce on 'A Real Dead One'- they just don't compare. If you can get hold of it, try listening to Paul's 'The Classics', where he covers those early Maiden tracks with his own band. Far better than Maiden's versions with Bruce, his voice just has that energy and youthful spirit, giving the songs the hard edge they need to be carried off convincingly. On '...Dead One', Bruce just says the words like he's reading a script. That said, Paul couldn't give a performance like Bruce on tracks like 'Fear of the Dark', 'The Evil That Men Do', etc. And why should he? Maiden were a different band with Paul. Once Bruce was in, they became the full-on classic metal band that Steve Harris always wanted them to be.

As for the guitarist argument, both guitarists are excellent and have added different things to the Maiden sound. Adrian Smith was the perfect second guitarist in the early days, as he had known Dave Murray for years (I do believe I read somewhere that Dave Murray first taught Adrian how to play), and that camoraderie showed onstage, with neither guitarist trying to outdo each other, instead giving each other the room to shine and compliment each others playing. The only real downside to Adrian's playing, more so in the 80's than now, is the fact that he was fairly static onstage.
Janick, on the other hand, brings a more rock n'roll elemnt to the live show. I've never seen a more energetic player on the stage. When Adrian left and Janick joined, the boost that it gave Dave Murray onstage was incredible. With Janick being a more unpredictable player, as opposed to Adrian being more methodical and reproducing his solo's exactly as they were on the records, it meant that Murray was able to ad-lib that little bit extra and venture round the stage a bit more. Janick's only downfall as a player was that his timing, especially with the rhythm playing, wasn't 100%, although since Adrian rejoined the band, both guitarists performances - playing and stage presence - has improved immensely. It's almost as if they fit together to make one sparring partner for Murray.
The real difference, though, between the two is in the songwriting. Adrian, along with Bruce, was always responsible for the more commercial side of the bands output - 'Wasted Years', '2 Minutes to Midnight', etc. - while Janick's input always brings in more diverse influences. Check out 'The Pilgrim' on the new album, or 'Dance of Death' from the previous album for proof. I wonder if Janick had been in the band before Adrian we would be having this discussion?

As for the band's age, as long as the quality songwriting and strong performances are still there, who cares? Their recent output (2000 onwards) has proved that they can still cut it on record, and the subsequent tours have showed that they are still a force to be reckoned with in the live arena.

I have my ticket for Birmingham in December, and it will be the sixth time I have seen them live, and they still just get better and better. As a footnote, I will just add this - Nicko or Clive?

UP THE IRONS!

Post 7

cockney01

I haven't seen them as many times ( six gigs and one record signing!) but I do have everything they have released from 'Soundhouse' up to '...Life & Death'.

In answer to your questions, I can honestly say my favourite gig was at Brixton Academy on the X-Factor in 1995. The expectation was high, as no one had heard Blaze sing the classics, and apart from 'The Clairvoyant' (too high!)his performance was great. The band sounded brilliant, the set-list was perfect, everyone was headbanging and it was just like one big party. I went back to 'The X-Factor' album after this and it finally made sense - Harris trying to get the 'live' feel in the studio finally came across. Fantastic!

I think the best support group either has to go to The Almight in 1993 or My Dying Bride in 1995, as I didn't know these bands before but went out and bought the albums. Obviously, Slayer and Entombed in 2000 was cool but I was into them bands anyway.

COME ON YOU IRONS!

Post 8

rainellena

Nicko I reckon, but then it's hard to compare!Clive was only on the first 4 and it was so long ago.They've come along way scince then.I must also say,I definately prefer Bruce on vocals, what a voice!

Post 9

EdHunter666

I think theyre best as they are, Bruce, Dave, Steve, Nicko, Janick and Adrian. With this line up everything goes together well. just listen to A Matter Of Life And Death and youll see. Anyway, what do mean reformed? They were always together.

Post 10

pdmenon

Maiden one of the best British Heavy Metal bands, ever!
Steve Harris's bass runs, twin leads guitar duos Dave Murray & Adrian Smith, Nicko's drumming skills in co-ordination with the bass, and to top it all, Bruce Dickinson's vocals, sums it all up! This is indeed the greatest package deal! smiley - cheers Powerslave was the first song I heard back in 1988, I think! Ever since I've been a maiden fan!smiley - ok

Post 11

threepercenter

Janick's playing is too flashy - there's very little melody in his solos, it's usually just a load of fast notes. I reckon Adrian is the best because his playing has the most variety and he rocks, although you can't beat Dave's playing in Killers - that beats everything else.

Post 12

littleblackfishy

I love Maiden and they finally came back out to Australia and I didn't get to gosmiley - wah
I'll have to wait till next time. ho hum

Post 13

threepercenter

"I HAVE GOT EVERYTHING MAIDEN HAVE RELEASED IN ENGLAND...IN ALL FORMATS...I HAVE OVER 40 T SHIRTS". You are one sad b@stard. I bet Steve Harris would thank you for lining his pockets and buying his mansion for him.

Post 14

judasmyguide

Best guitar honours go to Dennis Stratton on the first two albums.
The raw punk sound was great.

Key: Complain about this post