A Conversation for Doner Kebabs - a German Perspective

Döner Bude

Post 1

Lightning

Well, don't try to eat a "Döner Bude". You might need good treatment for your teeth should you try it. smiley - winkeye

"Bude" is German for "hut" and therefore describes the place to go and "Döner Kebab" or simply "Döner" is the thing to eat.

But, definitely worth trying. Much better than your average hamburger.

Lightning

Döner Bude

Post 2

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

i keep wondering where in germany you get a döner for the equivalent of a pound... i pay at least five marks.. (about 1.66 sterling).. give me the adress, will ya? *g*

smiley - smiley

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

Döner Kebab

Post 3

Skinny McGee

If you're feeling adventurous and want to get good service, try ordering your Döner in Turkish! Just take a deeeeep breath and say: "Bir tane döner, lütfen!" (One döner, please!) "Tessekür ederim" means, "Thank you." You can get a good döner for about one pound sterling virtually anywhere in Berlin, particularly in the districts Kreuzberg and Neukölln. I recommend the Döner-Imbiss on Oranienstrasse, in Kreuzberg.

Döner Kebab

Post 4

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

pity i'm near hamburg... *lol*

smiley - smiley

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

Did you know?

Post 5

Skinny McGee

Did you know that there is actually a Kuschel-Döner (like any plusch, stuffed play animal, but a döner!)made of fabric that is available for a (semi)-reasonable price. No I am not making this up. "Döner" means "turn," referring to the huge revolving meat slab from which the döner is made.

Did you know?

Post 6

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

no i didn't... interesting... is it available anywhere outside cologne or berlin? smiley - winkeye

Did you know?

Post 7

Caveman, Evil Unix Sysadmin, betting shop operative, and SuDoku addict (Its an odd mix, but someone has to do it)

It's certainly not available over here in England.

We have 'Doner Kebab' shops. The principle is the same (large rotating vertical spit on which the 'mystery meat' is cooked and cut from), but the experience is somewhat different (and they use Pita bread). You only really want one when you have had too much beer, and you're not in the mood for a curry.

In Portsmouth, there are (according to my memory) atleast 10 places where you can get a doner kebab. All of them are owned by the same person.

Did you know?

Post 8

David

Death vans are where you get Doners in Oxford. They crawl out at dead of night and park in smelly rows up and down the high street till a sulky pall of smoke hangs over the town centre. If you've taken the wrong mix of entertainment chemicals, the vast, slowly turning, leg-like hunks of pressed meat can make you swear never to touch the stuff again - if you get away alive...

Cost of kebab, about 9 marks

Did you know?

Post 9

mez

I have to say that kebabs "UK style" are almost, but not quite, impossible to eat. How are u supposed to fit that thing in your mouth!? When I was in london, I gave up eating them!

Kebabs _should_ be served in a peice of lebanese bread, as they are in Australia, at least then u can get your mouth around it! An Australian version of the Doner, is a round flat peice of bread, about the size of a record, the (alleged) meat and salad is then put in and the whole thing is rolled up. making it the diameter of say, a baguette. Thereby making it FAR easier to eat, but still retaining that great Doner taste.

Price, around AU$4 or GBP1.60.

Oh and we don't have "death vans" as such, Kebabs are usually from a proper shop, although occasionally Kebabs are served from an old caravan parked in a petrol station, nearby to a niteclub. THIS is what is known as a "Caravan of Courage"

mez..

Did you know?

Post 10

Jeremy (trying to find his way back to dinner)

That's why the same thing is called "Gyros" in Greek, which means "Circle", like in gyroscope.

Did you know?

Post 11

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

this would be a turkish pizza in german perception... gaaawwwddd, the depths of intercultural communication... smiley - winkeye

smiley - smiley

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

Turkish pizza?

Post 12

Skinny McGee

A Turkish pizza is quite different from a döner kebab and costs only about DM 1! Berlin's so much different than my native USA. There, when we get the munchies, it's off to some odd fast-food joint. Here, it's döner, stuffed grape leaves, falafel, or börek. A börek, in case you don't know, is made with a very crisp, flaky pastry filled with spinach, cheese, or meat slices.

Turkish pizza?

Post 13

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

i was referring to the australian döner-version when i said it sounds like the german conception of a turkish pizza, just in case i was misunderstood.. smiley - winkeye

Turkish pizza?

Post 14

StipeyZ.Rickenbacker

i was referring to the australian döner-version when i said it sounds like the german conception of a turkish pizza, just in case i was misunderstood.. smiley - winkeye

Turkish pizza?

Post 15

Siggi

As far as I can help to distinguish:
Döner Kebap is what is described in the Entry.
The Australian version reminds me also of the Greek Gyros in a Pita. Both are rolled/folded, so it appears easier to bite.
It's similar, but not the same, to a Lamachun, the turkish Pizza. This one is a rolled, plate sized (therefore pizza) piece of dough, whereon is added a whole variety of goods. Salad, meet, sauces,....

I think, now everybody feels right confirmed
smiley - smiley

happy meal!

Did you know?

Post 16

DorianGrey

I know this kind of "Döner-Roll" and in my town it's called Dürüm or Yufka. I have no Idea what those words mean,
but I thought it'd be helpfull
b.t.w. in Baden-Württemberg, where I live costs a Döner about 2,5 € (+- 0.25 cents)
And you are right, it's much easier to eat than a normal Döner or even a Big-Mac

Peas DG

Döner Bude

Post 17

Cohen

Here in the Rhine-Main-Area, the Price for a Döner Kebab is, has always been and will always be 6,- DM (3&#8364smiley - winkeye.
BTW: Should it spin clockwise or anticlockwise?

Döner Bude

Post 18

Siggi

Yep, this is what we call 'konkret'!
I don't mind about the spin direction as long as it's Nasdaq/Nemax noted and roaring up!
There's a famous story about "what they found one day in the Döner-Sauce..." smiley - winkeye
know that???

Döner Bude

Post 19

Cohen

Of course, everyone here knows this story, and I have been told that it is absolutely true for about every kebab-shop I have ever visited. Must be some ancient turkish mating ritual...

Key: Complain about this post