This is the Message Centre for LL Waz

Three depths of in Salford

Post 1

LL Waz

smiley - space

smiley - earth The Lowry: a white seascape merging into a white sky, no beyond, no escape, no human trace, utter isolation.

smiley - earth The Imperial War Museum North: a contorted, rust coloured tower of steel from one of the World Trade Centre towers. The sign says not to touch, there’s no need to because its reality radiates from it. Hold your hand out and you feel it.

smiley - earth The Bridgewater Hall: Alina Ibragimova’s violin sings out Shostakovich’s despair.

At the end of the concerto the applause was tremendous, some people jumped up cheering. A lot of the audience went out with big smiles. Some wet eyes and big smiles. Why does it feel good when someone else expresses these things? Maybe it's the feeling of contact, the opposite of Lowry's isolation? But then it's comfort in someone else being able to feel the pain, which we shouldn't really want. It has to be something to do with connection and sharing though.

Post 2

Z

Lovely smiley - applause

So you're coming to the manchester meet right?

Post 3

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

I have never once been to the Lowry when I didn't feel chilled to the bone. Even in 'summer' it's cold there, I'd not realised until I read your piece - you have such good observational skills. smiley - ok

Post 4

LL Waz

Thank you Lanza, I don't know about that. I'm ashamed to say I never really looked at Lowry before Saturday. I only knew the matchstick men and factory mills theme, the gallery was a real eye-opener.

Z, Meets, smiley - yikessmiley - run. My one mini-meet was very enjoyable but there were only four attendees - I can cope with four!

Plumbing depths of ridiculousness

Post 5

LL Waz

Plumbing the depths of pathetic. That's what's happening this evening. And happened two evenings last week too. Totally pathetic, totally STUPID in capitals. Up until five years ago living alone was fine, more than fine, it was a good contented life. Now S is out for an evening and nothing feels right. Nothing's worth doing, TV's not as good. This is wallowing, but it's true.

I've seen friends here on h2 and work colleagues and friends lose partners. It's the risk you take sharing a life, I knew that five years ago. A risk worth taking. A risk very worth taking but still a price.

Six years ago I'd not have believed I was capable of this level of silliness. He ought to be back so now I can't settle to anything. In fact I've plumbed the depths to where going and doing the dishes seems a good and reassuring idea. That is shocking. Dishes here I come.

Post 6

LL Waz

Dishes done.

Cakes and biscuits, I bet there were cakes and biscuits at this meeting. And pies. It'll be like last week's stream of texts from the railway station. 'Having a hotdog'. 'Got a pasty'. 'Train late, going for pie'! Or he's stopped for fish and chips on the way back. He's in trouble now. And if there were pringles involved, or gateaux... I bet there were pringles and gateaux. Oh, he's in trouble. Think that bar of chocolate in the larder might even things up.

Post 7

LL Waz

For the record: Lemon drizzle cake and a fairy cake. And made himself a second breakfast as soon as he got in. Breakfast! I ask you.

Post 8

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

but at least he came home safe and soundsmiley - hug

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for LL Waz

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more